Favorite Race to play as

• 63 results
#1 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (102 posts) -

#2 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Khajit, nothing better than playing as a cat.

#3 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

I play a Dark Elf in every Elder Scrolls game. Because Dark Elves are cool!

#4 Posted by Skyfire543 (658 posts) -

Imperial in every game. That may be a bit boring.

#5 Posted by Bumpton (441 posts) -

I wanted to use melee and magic. The game said Imperials were good at both! Hence, I played as an Imperial.

#6 Posted by pyromagnestir (4242 posts) -

The orcs were the only ones with an actually useful race ability (that I can recall), so I'd probably say them, but I never actually played as an orc. All the rest were just kind've aesthetic differences more than anything. I spent most of my time playing as a Redguard lady because I went with Dave's suggestion of if you're going to play a game for hundreds of hours, you might as well choose a character that you like looking at for that long.

#7 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Depends on what kind of "class" I want to play.

#8 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming

Depends on what kind of "class" I want to play.

Same as me, I won't play a little elf and wear heavy armour and a giant hammer for example, If I'm an elf I'll use either magic or a bow and be stealthy, if I'm a Nord or Orc I'll use heavy armour and big weapons. Etc.
#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Nords look good to just start and bash stuff with.
Then I usually try a Khajit or Argonian thief.
A Breton mage usually follows and I'll end up with a 2 handed warhammer wielding Orc that murders everything.

#10 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

I like to start with whatever race is represented by the setting (Morrowind=Dark Ekf, Oblivion=Imperial, Skyrim=Nord). Then I go Khajit, 'cus fuck yeah cat people!

#11 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I've always played Nord. Skyrim was kind of annoying though because something just felt...wrong...if you didn't play as Nord. The whole Dragonborn thing, shouts, etc just seemed weird if you were playing as another race. It seems very much like they envisioned the main character being a Nord, whereas I felt like it was more open in Oblivion or Morrowind.

#12 Posted by Veektarius (4590 posts) -

The Redguard stam regen is pretty useful for a fighter.

#13 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Wood Elf because I like my stealthy bow and arrow gameplay.

#14 Posted by Aetheldod (3511 posts) -

There are other races besides Nords??? D: I ... I didn´t know

#15 Posted by Irvandus (2822 posts) -

Dunmer

#16 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

Human. Breton or Nord if I have to choose. But fuck animals. I will kill any damn lizard, cat, orc or elf I see.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -
@benjaebe

I've always played Nord. Skyrim was kind of annoying though because something just felt...wrong...if you didn't play as Nord. The whole Dragonborn thing, shouts, etc just seemed weird if you were playing as another race. It seems very much like they envisioned the main character being a Nord, whereas I felt like it was more open in Oblivion or Morrowind.

Yeah but it doesn't matter what they envisioned its your story to carve out. Never felt that pressure myself always went with the race that complimented what sort of class I wanted to play. I suppose I can see where you are coming from though.
#18 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1235 posts) -

Dunmer because it was my first TES character in Morrowind, Khajit since it's by far the coolest race in all of Elder Scrolls but Breton for the min/maxing properties. That magic resistance is sweeter than just about any other special ability. Next character is going to be an Orc though because the special seems interesting and Greg Kasavin's marathon character looked pretty damn badass as well.

#19 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

Human. Breton or Nord if I have to choose. But fuck animals. I will kill any damn lizard, cat, orc or elf I see.

Now listen here boy, we don't tolerate fantasy racism up in these here forums. So why don't you just keep on movin', ya hear?

#20 Edited by Turambar (6675 posts) -

Wait a few months and use a modded race usually.  Breton out of the vanilla choices.

#21 Posted by believer258 (11632 posts) -

Breton, because he seems to be the best of both worlds in terms of destruction magic and physical fighting.

#22 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I usually start with warrior characters, so Nord.

#23 Posted by light_grenade (124 posts) -

Lizard Wizard!

#24 Posted by SSully (4125 posts) -

I went with Nord because I wanted to make a burly looking dude, and they fit perfectly.

#26 Edited by living4theday258 (678 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@benjaebe Yeah but it doesn't matter what they envisioned its your story to carve out. Never felt that pressure myself always went with the race that complimented what sort of class I wanted to play. I suppose I can see where you are coming from though.

Skyrim didn't let me carve out my story like i wanted all the reply's were neutral, good, or fuck you responses or they didn't even let you respond at all.....

when your asked to kill parthunnax i wanted to tell delphine to shove it up her ass but all it did was just give me the quest, on pc you can use a console command to just auto complete it, but im on ps3.

on topic i like making a stealthy darkelf untill im a master of destruction then making as much racket as humanly possible with the expert fire spell.

#27 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

I haven't played them all but I really enjoyed the Wood Elf for the bows and sneakiness.

#28 Posted by light_grenade (124 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten: Damn straight! Never not been an Argonian :p

#29 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

Nothing like playing the home team, as a person who like to build a story for my character i like how many of the story beats can be worked in to the story.

#30 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

Every single time I get to the race selection screen when making a character, I go with Breton. It's hard to argue with permanent 25% magic resistance and no down sides.

#31 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1593 posts) -

Lady Redguard

#32 Posted by c_rakestraw (823 posts) -

Argonian.

#33 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7050 posts) -

I went Nord, Wood Elf, and then Orc. Might go with an Argonian next for my thief.

#34 Posted by Dimsey (948 posts) -

I've always played Nord.

#35 Posted by deox (210 posts) -

Nord.

#36 Posted by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

I'm Elvist, but I wanted to be a mage, so I played a Breton, which I guess only helps your magic defense. I was disappointed in this choice the more I played, and started to wish that I had played whatever race comes with lightning defense to protect my mana.

@TheHBK said:

Amen brother. Cast down the demi-humans.

#37 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

Dunmer!

#38 Posted by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

Did anyone else pick a Nord character and side with the Imperial Legion? I did it by accident. Now it just feels weird fighting against the Nord rebellion.

#39 Posted by Milkman (16526 posts) -

The game seems weird if you're anything but a Nord.

#40 Posted by Superkenon (1388 posts) -

Redguards represent!!!

#41 Edited by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

Argonian, Kha'jit, or Dunmer. But mostly Argonian.

#42 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

Always play Dunmer. Though that brought out the lacking world awareness in Skyrim when characters would be racist as shit towards NCPs moments before cheerfully asking me for a favor.

#43 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

I'm always either an imperial, redguard, or dunmer.

#44 Posted by Rohok (553 posts) -

Dark Elves in Morrowind, Imperials in Oblivion, and then Nords in Skyrim. Why? Because they're the only races that make sense for those game. An Orc Dragonborn? Talos was nord.

#45 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

@Rohok: Sheogorath is the Hero of Kvatch(the MC) from Oblivion it only makes sense he was Imperial.

#46 Posted by alucasan (4 posts) -

I pick Nord because well I'm from the north so...but secretly I'm a purring kitten inside.

#47 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

I can't remember what I played in Daggerfall. I played an Argonian in Oblivion, and didn't really like it. I played a High Elf in Skyrim and have loved it for every minute.

#48 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

I wanted to play as a warrior, the game said Nords are good at this so I picked up a nord.

#49 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

I have no previous Elder Scrolls or Fallout experience prior to playing Skyrim but I started out playing as a Breton Rogue, because I didn't want to start out too weird, then I made a Lizard Wizard and he turned out to be very cool. Lastly I made a Redguard heavy armor, two handed woman which actually was a pretty useful class/race combination.

I'm pretty happy that the race choices aren't too limiting and I can just go with whatever combination appeals to me.

#50 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

Khajit. It fits my play style. Sneaking in the shadows like Batman... Cat-Batman.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.