Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Finally completed the main quest, also, Dawnguard is awesome!

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

After almost a year of Skyrim being out, I finally managed to stick with a character I was happy with, a crossbow wielding Nord Ranger, and beat Skyrim's main quest. Obviously I've completed a lot of stuff before with other characters, some main quest, the civil war, all of the guilds and some daedric quests. But, lets talk about the main quest...mostly. There were some awesome moments in it, but on the whole it seems to suffer from being, well as most Bethesda main quests, pretty bad.

First off

The Blades

The Blades felt completely, underlined, completely fucking unnecessary. Dauphine and Esbern +3 recruits (I really did like the recruit feature, wish it was more developed), that's it? Really? Feels more like they were thrown in there to show us how badly the Blades got ****ed by the Thalmor than anything else. And then you can't even act on it. Going out for Thalmor head hunting activities as well as burning that b**** Elenwen and her Embassy would have been nice. I'm really hoping for a DLC of some kind that will rectify that. First the Empire, now the Thalmor! Or as an alternative, The Empire starts to fight back the Thalmor.

The Elder Scroll (Dragon)

When I heard about Dawnguard, I started preparing a new character, and decided that I would leave the main quest for later on. As you may know, acquiring the Elder Scroll (the same one that you acquired during Discerning the Transmundane or rather Elder Knowledge) is now required for a quest in Dawnguard. This task accounts for roughly, maybe some 40-50% of Dawnguard's main quest but it also takes out a pretty big chunk out of the main quest. If you get the Elder Scroll for Dawnguard instead of the main quest first, the main quest will feel a bit too short.

Here's an overview of the MQ.

Basically here's what I get out of it

• Protecting Whiterun
  • Graybeards
  • Meet the Blades (Thalmor Embassy, Alduin's Wall)
  • Elder Scroll
  • Alduin - you fight, he runs, you need to find him, trap a dragon, (peace talks if you haven't completed the civil war questline), Sovngarde, end. This entire part here was surprisingly short.
  • So a bit longer? Would have been nice. The main quest obviously should be shorter than all the other stuff you can do, but still. All in all, some great moments, but short and underdeveloped. But hey, there's a lot more to do in Skyrim, and a lot of other awesomeness in it. Like...

Dawnguard

Whenever I contemplate getting DLC, I think "well, it's like the main game, only not really as good, but I'll get it anyway because I need more content for this great game". This usually ends with "Yup, not as good, pretty short too". I don't regret it, it's just back in the day when PC ruled the skies there was this thing called expansion pack, those were really awesome. And thankfully, Dawnguard manages to kind of bridge the gap for me. It's pretty long too, it took me nearly 20 hours to complete. I did every sidequest available (and as mentioned the acquiring of the Elder Scroll is a pretty big part) but I was still surprised with the length. The overall story is fine, but the concept of vampire hunting really did it for me. I can't even count how many times I just rushed into a pack of vampires in my werewolf form and ripped them to shreds. So, the overall concept of the story I though was really awesome in fact, but as we all know, devil is in the detail, and Bethesda kind of sucks with that now. There are also some pretty cool characters, like Isran and Serana, and that priest of Arkay! Plus you get to talk to a falmer...technically. And there's this, just amazing new location called the Soul Cairn, I think that place alone is enough to warrant a Dawnguard purchase. Among other things, you'll get to meet up with your old pall Jiub there, and you'll finally learn how to pronounce his name correctly.

And if all of this isn't enough for you, you also get perks for being a vampire or werewolf + crossbows. Freaking crossbows duders! All I use now is my enhanced crossbow with the fire and shock enchantments - Van Helsing. Seriously, crossbows are awesome! Hmm, OH! And the dawnguard heavy armor? Frigging forget about it!

It's just as awesome as the crossbows!
    It's just as awesome as the crossbows!

In the end, Dawnguard is one of the better DLCs I've played, and if you just barely liked Skyrim, you should still get it!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go finish up all of the remaining Skyrim stuff, complete my unique weapons/armor and artifact collection, decorate Hjerim and perfect my character. Then I'll start as a High Elf mage that supports imperials and joins the vampire clan.

And I'd really like to know what you duders thought about the main quest/Dawnguard DLC , so, give some input on that.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By konig_kei

That mission to get the bow was boring as shit, crossbows are cool though.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

Crossbows!

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By jorbear

The Snow Elf shit was fucking incredible.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@konig_kei: Well, you did get to meet 2 actual snow elves, I thought that was really cool. And the whole valley location was beautiful. Plus, when you get Auriel's Bow with those enhanced elven arrows and shoot them at the sun, it's just really freaking cool! Worth it.

@Ravenlight: CROSSBOWS!

@jorbear: Yeah it really was, one of the greatest things about Elder Scrolls is the lore and it was really awesome seeing a Snow Elf before the transformation. But it was also very grim, there are possibly two snow elves left in existence. Would have been way better if there was like an actual group left.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.