For all the Non-Nord players...

• 53 results
#1 Edited by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

I was just wondering, does the whole story premise feel disjointed as fuck for you? I'm a Dragonborn who can shout the language of the Dragons. All of the story so far seems highly Nord focussed (No shit, we're in Skyrim) so when I rock up to the big angry dragon as a skinny little Wood Elf with a bow and a quiver of arrows on my back I feel silly. When I shout "FUS RO!" in the deepest voice you can imagine, I feel silly.  

All of this talk of great Nordic tradition between NPC's whilst I'm stood there like "HEY GUYS, TREES AND SHIT" makes me regret picking Wood Elf, but I had to because I wanted to play Stealthy, Stabby, Shooty, Rangey, Steally guy and it's hard to do that as a hulking great Nordic barbarian badass. 

So, other Non Nords, how does it feel for you? 

EDIT: Also, I found the Dark Brotherhood so as long as I get plenty of cool contracts from them to keep me going, I'll be good. I practically bought this just to be a sneaky little Elven cunt anyway. Hooah.

#2 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Feels good man.

#3 Posted by Bloopa79Aus (119 posts) -

Yuo are going the same type of guy as me

I dont mind my elf just has a deep voice

#4 Posted by Atlas (2435 posts) -

I picked an Orc and I regret nothing.

As I said in another post, I liked the idea of picking a character who would be a stranger in a foreign land, because as a player I too am a stranger blindly wandering my way around the game world, so both me and my avatar are having the same experience. Maybe when I go through it again and know my way around the game I'll pick a Nord and see how different things are.

#5 Posted by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

No it doesn't feel disjointed at all.

I'm an outsider who has to help out this nation of people whether I want to or not.

I think it would be weirder if I was a Nord and I had no idea what the fuck was going on and kept asking every 5 min. what an NPC meant.

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
All of this talk of great Nordic tradition between NPC's whilst I'm stood there like "HEY GUYS, TREES AND SHIT" makes me regret picking Wood Elf, but I had to because I wanted to play Stealthy, Stabby, Shooty, Rangey, Steally guy and it's hard to do that as a hulking great Nordic barbarian badass. 
Haha, exactly my case. Wood Elf as well.

Not far in the game yet, but I can already feel what you're describing. In contrast, I can see how a funky non-Nord being a unique prophecy-fulfilling "chosen one" with super dragon powers beyond his typical capabilities is actually a badass thing, so there's that.
#7 Posted by zFUBARz (625 posts) -

Morrrowind had the saviour of the Dunmer people as any other race, people would just call you an N'Wai. The gods care not for race little elf!

#8 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

I'm an outsider who has to help out this nation of people whether I want to or not.

I think it would be weirder if I was a Nord and I had no idea what the fuck was going on and kept asking every 5 min. what an NPC meant.

To be fair, I'm a Nord from Cyrodiil.
#9 Posted by themangalist (1731 posts) -
@Atlas said:

I picked an Orc and I regret nothing.

As I said in another post, I liked the idea of picking a character who would be a stranger in a foreign land, because as a player I too am a stranger blindly wandering my way around the game world, so both me and my avatar are having the same experience. Maybe when I go through it again and know my way around the game I'll pick a Nord and see how different things are.

I picked a Nord and I fancy myself born in Bruma and was once drafted into the Cyrodiil Imperial Legion. My father died in a war, his last words were to spread his ashes in his homeland. That is why my character risked crossing borders and carries a bone meal with him all the time.
#10 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I'm Breton which is an off-brand Nord, so it's fine.
Norms are Duke Nukem, magic is for pussies, Elves are pussies.

#11 Posted by Atlas (2435 posts) -

@themangalist said:

I picked a Nord and I fancy myself born in Bruma and was once drafted into the Cyrodiil Imperial Legion. My father died in a war, his last words were to spread his ashes in his homeland. That is why my character risked crossing borders and carries a bone meal with him all the time.

See, this is the kind of stuff I love hearing about. You actually put some thought into a backstory for your character, and even have an special item to go along with it. It's things like that that make role playing games great. Good job.

#12 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

I can see how playing an elf would feel like that, but other humans feel fine. Honestly, playing a mage feels a little wierder in that context- Everyones all "Ooooh, Your mighty Dragon Shout knocks over your foes, Chosen One!" and I'm all " Hey guys wanna see a neat trick I just blew up the world with my hands!"

#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Im Nord. Cause of mother fucking Vikings! 

#14 Posted by Hailinel (24394 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

I'm Breton which is an off-brand Nord, so it's fine. Norms are Duke Nukem, magic is for pussies, Elves are pussies.
All Norms...
...are this guy?
#15 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Atlas said:

@themangalist said:

See, this is the kind of stuff I love hearing about. You actually put some thought into a backstory for your character, and even have an special item to go along with it. It's things like that that make role playing games great. Good job.

I called my Wood Elf Iorveth and after being shafted by Geralt of Rivia in the forests near Flotsam he decides to conjure a portal with his sorceress friend and ends up in Skyrim, the portal made him feel odd and it turns out his voice is abit hoarse and now all the locals think he's got dragon's blood, when really it's just a bit of travel sickness. Iorveth realises he's stuck in this strange new world so decides to adapt and make ends meet how he can. He notices certain races and people still despise elves so he joins the Dark Brotherhood for sweet loot and easy gold. 

How's that.
#16 Edited by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Hailinel
#17 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@kingzetta said:

I'm Breton which is an off-brand Nord, so it's fine. Norms are Duke Nukem, magic is for pussies, Elves are pussies.
All Norms...
...are this guy?
No, only the Grundnorm 

100 Internets to the person who gets this reference.
#18 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Hailinel: oh you know what I meant 
Also I think I think of norm macdonald, not norm from cheers
#19 Posted by EchoEcho (822 posts) -

@Atlas said:

@themangalist said:

Can't wait to see your character's reaction when they accidentally mix their father's remains into a potion at an alchemy station.

(Just kidding, of course. Or am I?!)

#20 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1568 posts) -

I felt the same way when starting; there's something weird about a non-Nord doing dragon shouts, especially the more exotic races, always seemed weird to me. Ended up making a Nord who mostly wields sword and shield. Entirely unoriginal but that's what second and third play-throughs are for.

#21 Posted by deskp (447 posts) -

Havent played that much fo this game yet, but isnt there a elven city or soemthing in skyrim? though i heard something about that from an npc. !might be me confusing names of places though!!

#22 Posted by Kazona (3064 posts) -

I don't feel that way at all with my Breton. Although occasionally when he does one of those fancy finishing moves I swear the scream that accompanies it is female. Now that makes shit feel unusual.

Other than that, though, I just see my character as the guy from distant lands come to save this puny Skyrim. You know, kinda like a lot of earlier Schwarzenegger movies, except instead of charging in with my manly muscles I sneak around and shoot people in the back of their heads with arrows. And come stabby time, ain't nothing like going to town with some dual swords and roaring my womanly cry as I finish them off!

...Ok, seriously, that battle female battle cry thing kind of creeps me out...

#23 Edited by Dagbiker (6964 posts) -

I want to know why you where trying to sneak into Skyrim in the first place. I didnt really think about this until you brought it up, but it doesn't bother me i just believe that he has a deep voice because magic, and also he can speak dragon speak because of magic. but they said Tiber Sceptum was dragon born and he was imperial not Nord.

#24 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

i'm an argonian, which to me seems like the obvious choice to be dragon-like.  however there doesnt seem to be a lot of argonians in skyrim which makes me feel like a stranger in a foreign land.  that fits too because you're supposed to be "the chosen one" after all and you're different than the others.   

the only gripe i have with being an argonian is the voice for the argonian is exactly the same as the voice for the nords and the other races.  i wish it sounded a little more reptilian.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

I'm playing as an Imperial and I don't mind.

#26 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

All Norms...
...are this guy?

@kingzetta said:

All I can think of when I see this is Duke Nukem saying "It's a dog-eat-dog world and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."

#27 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

I want to know why you where trying to sneak into Skyrim in the first place. I didnt really think about this until you brought it up, but it doesn't bother me i just believe that he has a deep voice because magic, and also he can speak dragon speak because of magic. but they said Tiber Sceptum was dragon born and he was imperial not Nord.

I read one of the books about being Dragonborn and it mentions that Dragonborn can be any race and should be respected no matter what because it's a gift from the god Akatosh. It says a bunch of other stuff, but I don't remember it all.
#28 Edited by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

anyone's character related to hardcore dave?

#29 Posted by HatKing (5885 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

Yeah, it'd be pretty weird when you're from Skyrim and completely oblivious to the civil war brewing. I like the idea of being a Dark Elf caught crossing the border thrown into a world of politics and deceit that he had no reason to care about before.

#30 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@HatKing said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Yeah, it'd be pretty weird when you're from Skyrim and completely oblivious to the civil war brewing. I like the idea of being a Dark Elf caught crossing the border thrown into a world of politics and deceit that he had no reason to care about before.

Actually, they say you're from Cyrodiil when you're a Nord.
#31 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1413 posts) -

@Atlas: Also an Orc, I fucking love raging and kill everything! ARGHHHH

#32 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Claude said:

@Dagbiker said:

I read one of the books about being Dragonborn and it mentions that Dragonborn can be any race and should be respected no matter what because it's a gift from the god Akatosh. It says a bunch of other stuff, but I don't remember it all.

You're reading an illegal text. It will get you thrown in jail. Next you tell me to join the Cult of Talos!

#33 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

@Claude said:

@Dagbiker said:

You're reading an illegal text. It will get you thrown in jail. Next you tell me to join the Cult of Talos!

No way, I'm a free thinker, ok, I'll pay. I met some people on the road and they fought Daedra, Vampires and shit. I'm going there to join.
#34 Posted by NAKent (91 posts) -

Elron had a deep voice.

#35 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
All of the story so far seems highly Nord focussed (No shit, we're in Skyrim) so when I rock up to the big angry dragon as a skinny little Wood Elf with a bow and a quiver of arrows on my back I feel silly. When I shout "FUS RO!" in the deepest voice you can imagine, I feel silly. 
It's because you're the Dovahkiin!
#36 Posted by Shirogane (3569 posts) -

@Claude said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Claude said:

@Dagbiker said:

No way, I'm a free thinker, ok, I'll pay. I met some people on the road and they fought Daedra, Vampires and shit. I'm going there to join.

Godamnit, leave us Vampires alone, it's not like we hurt people. Well, the evil ones do. But really, sucking people's blood doesn't hurt them at all, most of the time they don't even realise it. And anyway, if a vampire wanted to become powerful, they WOULDN'T suck blood, so they'd be hurting nobody.

Bleh, vampirism in elder scrolls is sooooo stupid. Screw it, i'm becoming a werewolfcat.

Then again...Nyanpire...hrmm...

#37 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Well what's fun about this game is that race doesn't affect progression nearly as much as it used to. I'm a nord but I have very high sneak and archery skills. I'm mainly a battlemage, but I'm a very adept rogue in game.

Still I see your problem, it's kinda goofy if you're not a Nord.

#38 Posted by MelficeVKM (160 posts) -

@RiotBananas said:

@Hailinel:

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to see.

#39 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@Claude said:

@Dagbiker said:

I'm glad they covered that. Praise Akatosh for having a cool name and being an equal opportunist!

#40 Posted by Milkman (16647 posts) -

I feel like Elder Scrolls games always have their "canon" races. I picked a Nord because it made the most sense.

#41 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

not really but ill tell you this. As a wood elf i am totally joining up with the imperials you nords are such dicks.

#42 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

Playing as an Imperial here. I don't think shouting in the Dragon Tongue should feel silly, no matter which race, because the language of the dragon's is probably so much more advanced than anything else on the continent, and it thus transcends race.

And stuff.

#43 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I'm a Breton, so it doesn't feel that weird. Perhaps if I was an elf or an argonian. However, it does feel weird to be a mage in Skyrim. Whenever I ask someone if anyone in the town knows magic, they just say "I don't trust magic. I don't have any use for it. If you're one of those friggin namby pamby mages, go to hell. Or I guess you could go across the map to the college of mages, but it's a long walk"

Kinda makes me want to just make a knight character, but I'll wait until I've finished hadokening people.

#44 Posted by ShaggE (6415 posts) -

I was a little disappointed at first to find that Nords don't like elves, but when I think about it, it gives me justification for being the complete dick that Bethesda games all but beg me to be. Never mind that the first person I screwed over was a Redguard and not a Nord.

#45 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I'm playing a Breton necromancer. If these fools.want to believe I'm some story of favoured hero, then by all means.

UNLIMITED POWER!!!

#46 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Breton too, once in a while you meet other Bretons and get some unique dialogue think it's done fairly well.

#47 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -

This game sort of annoys me how there's only 3 main ways to play, which is Magic, warrior, and rogue.

Where's the business man option? I want to be a Skooma dealer who eventually becomes the Scar Face of the Skooma trade.

I wanna buy up entire towns, adjust the profits so high that the people revolt against me. I wanna buy up property in the wilderness, have it landscaped to be flattened. Then build a trading post near a road. Over time it gains money, which then can be turned into a small village, then a town.

#48 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

Naw it feels fine to me. I managed to get my Kajiit looking awesome with the character creator, he looks so noble.

#49 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I'm glad I didn't pick Nord. They're all such huge assholes.

#50 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

I nearly picked Nord but ended up going for an Imperial Amazon; haven't regretted this decision, but her initial power is pretty rubbish. Can't wait to find more powers. Next playthrough might be Nord. Or Dunmer. Probably Dunmer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.