Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

For everyone who's waiting for Skyrim and owns Oblivion.. (PC)

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By emem

If you enjoyed Oblivion and want to experience something "special" while you are waiting for Skyrim you could take a look at "Nehrim". It is pretty much its own game, but you need Oblivion to run it. 

There's a trailer (only availabe in german) here:   

And you can download the english version of the mod here:   http://www.nehrim.de/startEV.html 

Cheers and have fun. 

PS: This mod is almost too good to be true for a fan project and I think it's better than a lot of professionally done RPGs. 

Edit: I read a bit more about this mod and I found this to be interesting:   http://www.moddb.com/mods/nehrim-at-fates-edge/news/nehrim-awarded-best-singleplayer-mod-2010
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

I think its better than a lot of proffesionally done German RPGs. Wouldn't go any further than that.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

My favorite trailer music.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

Edit: Looks nice.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sumbog

If you dont mind me asking... whats it about?

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By emem
    @ryanwho: There are a lot of bad RPGs out there and most of them are not german. The only german RPGs I can think of right now are Drakensang (which I don't like) and Two Worlds (didn't like the first, but the 2nd part took me by surprise.. it's really good).

@Axxol:  Yep, It's a fan-made mod for Oblivion and you need Oblivion to be able play it. I don't know much about the making of it, but I like it a lot. 

@Sumbog: Hmm I don't want to spoil anything, because the story is the strongest part of the game, in my opinion. I've watched a friend of mine play through most of the game and just downloaded it to play through it myself which hm well, I guess is a compliment for the game or maybe I've got a bad taste, who knows.;)
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Aronman789

I'm a bit discouraged by the anime-like hair of those elves.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster
    @emem: Sorry, that was a stupid question. I should have checked out the link you posted before I posted.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emem
    @Axxol: Haha, no problem.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rattle618

Seems interesting, Im downloading it now.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Demyx

Had the hardest time trying to install it, and even then, it came with a lot of bugs. I still want to play it. But I'll wait if I get a new computer.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By pweidman

Looks intriguing.   And I've really liked several German rpgs:  Two Worlds(and TW2 soon!), Sacred 2 , and Risen I think was by German devs. All good stuff...maybe it's my Germanic roots :).

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

Time to reinstall Oblivion.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I knew someone was going to squeeze one last juicy drop out of this old engine :- )

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By butano

The game is basically a mixture of Oblivion and Gothic, and it's glorious :)

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I'll stick with waiting....oh baby...oh yeeeah....
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By emem
    @Demyx: That's strange, I just installed it without a problem. Maybe it was a bit broken when it got released? After seeing Fallout New Vegas (which is a fantastic game btw) and the technical problems it had at the beginning I didn't mind seeing some broken enemies and clipping errors.. I read about stuttering sounds, too, but didn't experience it.
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By MistaSparkle

Daim. That was really cool. I just wish Oblivion could work on my computer and I wish I knew how to use mods.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By emem
    @MistaSparkle: You don't have to know how to use mods, the game creates a desktop shortcut when you install it.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Demyx
    @emem said:
    " @Demyx: That's strange, I just installed it without a problem. Maybe it was a bit broken when it got released? After seeing Fallout New Vegas (which is a fantastic game btw) and the technical problems it had at the beginning I didn't mind seeing some broken enemies and clipping errors.. I read about stuttering sounds, too, but didn't experience it. "
    this was about when it was first released. I'd try again, my my comp has been acting stupid.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By AuthenticM

Where have I heard this music before...

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By emem
    @Demyx: Ah sorry, I was wrong.. I just played a bit of Nehrim and before you can start the game you have to copy all the files into the steam folder, overwrite everything (create a backup first, to be on the save side, if you want to go back to Oblivion), select the 3 Nehrim files (start Oblivion via steam, click data files, uncheck everything except the Nehrim files) and play the game. <- readme.txt :)
    velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By velucyraptor

I am dying at those voiceovers, they all sound like they're taking the piss. Looks interesting enough though; I remember total conversion mods for Morrowind at least were always quite imaginative/enjoyable, though buggy. Pretty intense trailer effort for a fan project

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By emem
    @velucyraptor: Well, I'm not a huge fan of german voiceovers myself (even though I am german), but they did a pretty good job and I read that all the voice actors are professionals which is surprising considering it's a fan project. Come on they don't sound that bad, lol.

The quality of the game matches the quality of the trailer, in my opinion.
    Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By thehuntsmen5434
    @emem:  Oh wow, I was looking for something like this.  I had fallout 3 and Oblivion on Xbox and sold them both to get PC GOTY editions for both.  Getting mods has given me endless time replaying the same games I love in different ways.  This looks great I'm going to download this right away.  Thanks!
    Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Aw man... Now I have to reinstall Oblivion.  

Nice find!

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FunExplosions

I didn't really enjoy it, honestly. For one thing, vanilla Oblivion runs a hesitant 25-30 fps in medium settings on my computer. This mod runs at like 15. Also, I ran into like 4 different game-breaking bugs in the intro cave and had to restart. And then finally, I completely couldn't figure out to do when the kid runs up with the helmet stuck to his head. They told me to go somewhere and get some solvent or something and I could never find it. I looked everywhere outside and everywhere inside. I know, it's free. But I don't feel that it's worth anymore of my time.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @TheMustacheHero said:

"

"
    Needs more swords. Fuck dude look at those waterfalls. I wanna go see what's up in there. I bet it's awesome.

I can't wait to just look at everything. 

Oh yeah, I'm totally gonna check that mod out too. 
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @emem said:

" If you enjoyed Oblivion and want to experience something "special" while you are waiting for Skyrim you could take a look at "Nehrim". It is pretty much its own game, but you need Oblivion to run it. 

There's a trailer (only availabe in german) here:   

And you can download the english version of the mod here:    http://www.nehrim.de/startEV.html 

Cheers and have fun. 

PS: This mod is almost too good to be true for a fan project and I think it's better than a lot of professionally done RPGs. 

Edit: I read a bit more about this mod and I found this to be interesting:    http://www.moddb.com/mods/nehrim-at-fates-edge/news/nehrim-awarded-best-singleplayer-mod-2010 "
    German? FUR ZE FOURTH REICH!!!!!!!!!!
    HEIL HITLER!

Anyways, good watch.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By emem
    @TheMustacheHero 
    No Caption Provided
    If this is ingame stuff.. can't wait to get my hands on it either.
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By A Likely Story

I remember hearing about this a long time ago, before it was finished and I still played Oblivion. That trailer intrigues me, though, so this just might give me something to do until Skyrim is out.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gike987
    @FunExplosions said:
    " I didn't really enjoy it, honestly. For one thing, vanilla Oblivion runs a hesitant 25-30 fps in medium settings on my computer. This mod runs at like 15. Also, I ran into like 4 different game-breaking bugs in the intro cave and had to restart. And then finally, I completely couldn't figure out to do when the kid runs up with the helmet stuck to his head. They told me to go somewhere and get some solvent or something and I could never find it. I looked everywhere outside and everywhere inside. I know, it's free. But I don't feel that it's worth anymore of my time. "
    The intro cave was one of the buggiest parts for me. The mod gets a lot better after you get past the introduction. But if you can only run oblivion on medium settings with low fps I don't think you will get playable fps in Nehrim. You will get much lower fps cities than in the stating dungeon.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By jorbear

I tried it a while back, and could not get it to work. Maybe I will give it a shot once again. 
    Maybe not. 

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BaneFireLord

Yeah, Nehrim looks pretty goddamn awesome. 
    ...wish my PC could run Oblivion...

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By emem
    @gike987 said:

" @FunExplosions said:

" I didn't really enjoy it, honestly. For one thing, vanilla Oblivion runs a hesitant 25-30 fps in medium settings on my computer. This mod runs at like 15. Also, I ran into like 4 different game-breaking bugs in the intro cave and had to restart. And then finally, I completely couldn't figure out to do when the kid runs up with the helmet stuck to his head. They told me to go somewhere and get some solvent or something and I could never find it. I looked everywhere outside and everywhere inside. I know, it's free. But I don't feel that it's worth anymore of my time. "

The intro cave was one of the buggiest parts for me. The mod gets a lot better after you get past the introduction. But if you can only run oblivion on medium settings with low fps I don't think you will get playable fps in Nehrim. You will get much lower fps cities than in the stating dungeon. "
    I didn't have any bugs in the starting area, maybe I got lucky. 

@FunExplosions:   You have to figure out a way to remove the helmet by talking to people and it's actually pretty well done, in my opinion.
    I really like it when you have to think for yourself instead of following arrows to the next quest location.      

But I totally agree when it comes to the fps, I was able to run Oblivion with the highres texture mod without any problems, but sometimes I'm getting really low (still playable) fps with Nehrim.. when I turned off the background trees etc it ran a lot smoother, though.    
    NikFreaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NikFreaX

It looks pretty cool, but I don't think its enough for me to re-install Oblivion.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bane

If you have Google Goggles on your phone you can use it to translate from German to English. I did that to read some of the notes I found lying around. It's not perfect of course, but better than not being able to read anything at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Thanks for sharing. Some guy compiled all the best mods and called it Oblivion IV 2011 or something like that. He got told-off by the guys that made the mods.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By emem
    @Bane said:
    " If you have Google Goggles on your phone you can use it to translate from German to English. I did that to read some of the notes I found lying around. It's not perfect of course, but better than not being able to read anything at all. "
    Hehehe, that's a great idea.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

The Mass Effect 2 trailer music just makes me want to play ME2 all over again. 

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By emem
    @AnimZero: Do it! :)
    FrakesFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FrakesFace

I've been playing Nehrim for a while now, and I like it a lot more than Vanilla Oblivion but not as much as Modified Oblivion.  The limited fast travel (you can teleport but it requires special consumables to do so) combined with the expansive world makes for lengthy travel times.  The leveling system is much less jarring and the enemies are more varied.  The single element I love most about this conversion are the set pieces; some of the places you visit in the main storyline are absolutely ridiculous in detail.  My biggest complaint is the overall bugginess and slugishness when transitioning between the densely packed areas of the world, especially areas filled with foliage.

JonBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JonBot

Finally, another excuse to jump back into oblivion.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

This is driving me crazy, I can't remmber the name of the song and it's driving me nuts, can someone please tell me the name of the song.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.