I'm sure that there are still people who aren't sure whether their PC can handle Skyrim, and I'm here to tell you that more than likely, it'll handle it just fine, even if you're on the lower end of the system requirements. To prove my point, here are my system specs and settings:
- Q6600 2.4Ghz (overclocked to 3.25)
- 4GB of DDR2 1066 RAM
- Geforce 8800GTS 512
- 2x antialiasing
- 8x Anistropic filtering
- Texture, shadow and decal quality all on high
- radial blur quality is on medium
- FXAA enabled
- Reflect land, trees and objects enabled (reflect sky disabled)
- All fade sliders maxed out
- Distant object detail is set to high
- Object detail fade is enabled
With these specs and settings I've so far averaged about 40fps in outdoor areas and 30-35 in Whiterun. Of course I haven't really been in any dense forests yet, so there's a chance my framerate will take a hit in those areas, but as you can see this game is very playable even on my specs. So if you have something equal or better to my specs you will have no trouble running Skyrim.
Edit: damn editor messing with my formatting.
Edit 2: Just throwing it out there, this is with the overclock on my video card switched off. Haven't checked yet to see what impact an overclock of my GPU would have on the game.