Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Go through the story and then roll into everything else?

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mrfizzy

Hi All,

Just wondering how everyone is going about getting through this game. Is it best to go through the story and then move onto all the other things (Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, dungeons etc) or is it best to do a bit of both as you go?

Thanks for any replies.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

I got to the part where i killed mother fucking dragon, now i have seen like 3 dragons in 6 hours, so i would sugest, if you want to have dragons attack you willy nilly then do the main quest line up untill you kill the dragon.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

No. 

When you escape from the execution castle, just... wander about. Don't set your mind to any goals, don't worry about the story too much, don't make plans for how you play, just play. You'll meet people, you'll make friends and enemies, you'll engage in random crazy swordfights, loot crypts, gather herbs, and most importantly, get all kinds of random crazy quests, anything you could think of. 

The main idea is to mix it up. Roam the land and do a bunch of random quests, then go for the story, then go a-wall again for a few hours, then do some more story missions, you know.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By M_Shini

i started the Main storyline but to be fair most of the quests in this game are good enough to stand on they're own that ive just been rolling on through to whatever i end up running into ,you do still run into Dragon words in non Main storyline quests so its fine like that.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

I usually try and get things to move along together at a somewhat logical pace. The low level guild stuff only really makes sense if your character hasn't already proven himself by saving the world or whatever.

Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Metalhead79

I'm doing a little of both. Some questing, some wandering.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What I'm doing is going mainly through the main quest first, but always doing side quests when I come across them. I'm having a lot of fun that way, feels like I'm never wandering trying to find something to do. Edit: (I felt like that a lot in Oblivion, and that's why I didn't enjoy it much)

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By alistercat

I would do the main quest line for a bit because you unlock the shout ability and wild dragons. I think everyone should at least finish the part where you get shout training, as that sets up one of the game's core lore and gameplay parts. From there you can then look for new shouts, battle dragons and level up doing whatever.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Brendan

I like to do the first main mission and then bugger off for a few hours until I feel compelled to get back on the main path again. By the time I've finished the main quest line I probably haven't done more then 2/3 of the total side missions, but I most likely have completed all of the guild quest lines.

MidgardDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By MidgardDragon

I did the opening, followed the guy to Riverwood, poked around there, did the Claw Quest and the rest of that dungeon (thus finishing part of the main quest that I didn't know about yet), killed the bandit chief guy in that tower, then ran to Whiterun and finished the main story up until the first dragon. From here on out I'll probably goof around a lot more (I finally get a day off work so I won't feel like I'm wasting time).

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zFUBARz

I always run off immediately to find misadventure in ES games, this time I ran all the way up to winterhold, found a giant camp, found the lighthouse questline and a dozen other things really. Now I'll go start on the main quest so I can shout at some people.

Spartacus714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spartacus714

I'm just going where the road takes me. Getting immersed.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

Play how you want to play, man. Kinda the point.

I've been holding back on main quest stuff after visiting high hrothgar, but I'm probably going to just get it over with tonight. Level my guy's stealth up more for thief guild and dark brotherhood quests.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best way to do it seems to be following the main quest till you reach High Hrothgar (or around that point) and then just do whatever you want. Since at this point in the main quest you have gone through all the tutorial stuff and gotten the basics of shouts.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Marz

I  ran into the Companions after i escaped the first town that got burned by a dragon and i've just been doing that questline and it's pretty cool...  I sort of like to just pick a town, find every quest i can get there, finish them then move on to the next main storyline point.

MsAtheism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MsAtheism

I've done the first bit till the Dragon and I've started the Companions and am just exploring the vast amounts of quests that are around Whiterun, I think once I feel comfortable with what I have done their I will head to the College in Winterhold, I'm a mage so I want to get that done before I'm crazy powerful because then it won't make much sense.

Ultimately the joy in an elder scrolls game is running around and just experiencing what happens, I tend to save the main story for later, plus who doesn't want tons of experience from dragons?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jack268
    @Dagbiker said:

I got to the part where i killed mother fucking dragon, now i have seen like 3 dragons in 6 hours, so i would sugest, if you want to have dragons attack you willy nilly then do the main quest line up untill you kill the dragon.

This pretty much
    Zalera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By Zalera

I'm doing the opposite. I've played for 16 hours now and have barely touched the storyline. Exploring and dungeon crawling is so much fun, just killed my first optional dragon too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.