Has anyone switched M1 and M2 controls on PC?

• 61 results
#1 Posted by mortface (108 posts) -

I've been playing now for about 20 hours or so, and of course I adore this game, but I've still been getting a little confused with the whole 'left click' being 'right hand' and 'right click' being 'left hand'. I figured that I'd eventually get used to this and it wouldn't bother me, but I haven't really still. I'm mostly a magic user and often in the heat of battle I'll still get confused which spell I have in which hand (I'm a big fan of Healing+Fire and when they're in the hands they look kinda similar). I understand why they've done this, so that left click is your 'main' hand, but for magic that doesn't really matter.

I've been considering just switching M1 and M2 controls, so that my mouseclicks actually correspond to which hand I'm using, but I'm wondering if this messes up anything else further down the line or makes the UI even more cumbersome to navigate?

Or maybe I should just give in and use a controller?

#2 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

It gets a bit confusing for me when trying to assign new spells, but mainly I roll with dual casting the entire time, so I don't really get mixed up much.

#3 Posted by SmasheControllers (2550 posts) -

@mortface: Use a controller, I've been using a controller and it's the way they designed the game. Or wait for some sort of mod.

#4 Posted by MB (12420 posts) -
@mortface: Swapping M1 and M2 is the first thing I did...I did it before even creating my character. Do it, I'm surprised anyone can play with M2 being the left hand. Insanity.
#5 Edited by AlisterCat (5568 posts) -

I switched them over very quickly. I use pure magic and it is very confusing when you're in a rush. Doesn't mess anything up at all, totally fine.

#6 Posted by Meltac (2002 posts) -

First time I actually think about, it hasn't been bothering me in any way.

#7 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

i've been using a 360 pad. works great.

#8 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

Aye. First thing I did. Don't think it has anything to do with it, but I'm left handed so it felt just too weird.

Still kind of upset that I can't pick on which side my shield is. What gives Bethesda?

#9 Posted by project343 (2827 posts) -
@MB
@mortface: Swapping M1 and M2 is the first thing I did...I did it before even creating my character. Do it, I'm surprised anyone can play with M2 being the left hand. Insanity.
Basically this.

I don't understand why they would ship a game with those controls by default.
#10 Posted by Tennmuerti (8104 posts) -

Yes.
One of the first things I did.
This is not a shooter like Bioshock 2 (where it felt wierd)

Swapping M1 and M2 made it all very natural in Skyrim.

@mortface
It only affects your weapon/spell actions tied to left/right hand.
All the menu and interface stuff remains unchanged.

DO IT
DOOOOOOOO IT

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:
Yes.
One of the first things I did.
This is not a shooter like Bioshock 2 (where it felt wierd)

Swapping M1 and M2 made it all very natural in Skyrim. 
Yup, go for it OP! 

@SmasheControllers said:

@mortface: Use a controller, I've been using a controller and it's the way they designed the game. Or wait for some sort of mod.

^ ignore that post
#12 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

Nah. But I have made very little use of dual wielding or spell casting so far.

#13 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

I've been playing with M1 and M2 reversed this whole time. In retrospect, I have no idea why. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

#14 Posted by Swoxx (3000 posts) -

I really think it's weird that default settings is totally inverted for your hands. Why would left click be right hand?

#15 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

I haven't, since I'm rolling with sword and shield, but I probably will when I start over with a pure mage character. It probably takes an hour or so to get fully used to it, after spending 150+ hours the other way around, but it's worth it.

#16 Posted by Zurgfrog (153 posts) -

Im genuinely surprised about the number of people who did switch, I thought you all would just stick with it but yeah I think that game is almost unplayable without switching the M1 and M2

#17 Posted by Vexxan (4621 posts) -

I dual-cast most of my spells so it's not that big of a problem. I've gotten used to it when I use the conjured sword. 

#18 Posted by Beforet (2922 posts) -

I switched too. I was also going to switch R(ready weapon) and F(POV) because F was the ready weapon buton in the other games, but that broke the favorite function for some reason.

That and I made sprint shift instead of alt. This game shipped with some awkward ass keyboard controls.

#19 Edited by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -

I don't like the idea of right clicking being my main weapon, so I didn't switch. And I'm not making my left hand my sword hand, that's just weird.

@Beforet said:

I switched too. I was also going to switch R(ready weapon) and F(POV) because F was the ready weapon buton in the other games, but that broke the favorite function for some reason.

That and I made sprint shift instead of alt. This game shipped with some awkward ass keyboard controls.

It doesn't actually break the favorite function, it merely changes the favorite button to whatever you assigned the POV button to, but the prompt doesn't change in the menus. I had to change that button cause I was always accidentally swapping to third person.

#20 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

I don't like the idea of right clicking being my main weapon, so I didn't switch. And I'm not making my left hand my sword hand, that's just weird.

#21 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Yup.

#22 Posted by Spooty (86 posts) -

Swapping only makes sense to me for dual casting. Left click block/zoom right click attack.....wut? And I'm right handed so the sword would go in my right hand in the game...it just makes sense.

#23 Posted by bvilleneuve (265 posts) -

I left click make thing die, right click put up metal face. Make perfect sense to me.

#24 Posted by Jayzilla (2562 posts) -

everywhere i go i just type "kill all" in the console. i am pro like that. so i didn't think about switching them at all.

#25 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@SmasheControllers said:

Controller sucks because only 2 hotkeys.

#26 Posted by timmysprinkles (75 posts) -

It seems weird to switch hands on the mouse buttons because I'm used to attacking with a sword on the left mouse button on blocking with the right mouse button. I could make the switch for dual-casting, which makes a bit of sense, but I don't see a strong enough reason as to why I should.

#27 Posted by ValiantGoat (376 posts) -

I'm always equipping weapons in the wrong hand. Sadly I've not thought to swap mouse buttons.

#28 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Nope. Left click is main hand. As ever.

#29 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Why did so many people switch? Hasn't left click always been your main hand? I can't fathom pressing the right mouse button to swing my sword in my main hand.

#30 Posted by Jimbo (9814 posts) -
@CL60
Why did so many people switch? Hasn't left click always been your main hand? I can't fathom pressing the right mouse button to swing my sword in my main hand.
Most games aren't based around the idea of both hands being used. One of the first things many people will do is pick up two weapons, then immediately realise that left click swings the right weapon and vice versa. There is no 'main hand' if you're dual wielding or magic using, there's just a right hand and a left hand.
#31 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@CL60: It never mattered until they introduced a left hand attack. Why wouldn't that change things?

#32 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

@CL60

Most games aren't based around the idea of both hands being used. One of the first things many people will do is pick up two weapons, then immediately realise that left click swings the right weapon and vice versa. There is no 'main hand' if you're dual wielding or magic using, there's just a right hand and a left hand.
I dual wield in Skyrim, and even then I consider my main hand to be my right hand since i'm right handed. Even in Oblivion I would use right click for my shield, and left for my weapon. It would be awkward to me switching that.  

@mandude
#33 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Jimbo said:

@CL60

I dual wield in Skyrim, and even then I consider my main hand to be my right hand since i'm right handed. Even in Oblivion I would use right click for my shield, and left for my weapon. It would be awkward to me switching that.

@mandude:

If I have 2 buttons, one of the left and one on the right, would it not make sense to make them correspond to left hand/right hand?

That makes sense to me, but to each his own I guess. Maybe my perspective is just different since I'm left handed. To me putting left mouse to left hand feels perfect.

#34 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Okay, so I guess it depends on how you view it? Main Hand/Off Hand vs. Left Hand/Right Hand.

#35 Posted by Robo (800 posts) -

I did right from the start, but eventually I just started using a 360 controller.

#36 Edited by phampire (285 posts) -

The whole dual wielding system just works better with a controller simply because your RH controls the in-game RH. Having 2 mouse buttons that are normally used by one hand to control the opposite side is really weird. Maybe changing E and the right mouse button might feel more natural?

Edit: I gave it shot, its worth trying ive got M2 set to activate and E for my left hand and M1 for my right hand. The menu controls as it normally does.

#37 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -

I did for my Mage, but I'll change back on my next playthrough with melee weapons.

#38 Posted by Agent47 (1896 posts) -

@jetsetwillie said:

i've been using a 360 pad. works great.

Yeah most people should use the 360 pad makes things easier plus rotating objects feels more natural and easier.

#39 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@MB said:

Try using a bow, you'll zoom with M1 and fire with M2. Now that's insanity.

#40 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

I did it on my mage, but the default settings make way more sense when you play melee. Left click for attack and right click for block/zoom.

#41 Posted by halcyonTwilight (74 posts) -

I switched the M1 and M2 functions as well. I also remapped sprint to left shift since it's awkward to hit the left alt key. Plus it also stops me from getting confused whenever I try to sprint in BF3.

#42 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

@halcyonTwilight said:

I switched the M1 and M2 functions as well. I also remapped sprint to left shift since it's awkward to hit the left alt key. Plus it also stops me from getting confused whenever I try to sprint in BF3.

It took me 20 hours in to figure out I had a sprint. The design decision to make sprinting bound to the ALT key is one of the most mind boggling things I have ever encountered in a video game.

Sure, they wanted slow walking bound to a prominent key, but using both Caps Lock AND Shift for it, while using ALT for sprint, feels just weird.

Good thing they allowed players to make their own bindings, I guess?

#43 Edited by TehBuLL (612 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@MikkaQ said:

Yup. That. I am going to see if I can get my PS3 controller to work with it. But I doubt it. .............soo I've got this one button iMac mouse that just won't quit....

#44 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

@mortface said:

I've been playing now for about 20 hours or so, and of course I adore this game, but I've still been getting a little confused with the whole 'left click' being 'right hand' and 'right click' being 'left hand'. I figured that I'd eventually get used to this and it wouldn't bother me, but I haven't really still. I'm mostly a magic user and often in the heat of battle I'll still get confused which spell I have in which hand (I'm a big fan of Healing+Fire and when they're in the hands they look kinda similar). I understand why they've done this, so that left click is your 'main' hand, but for magic that doesn't really matter.

I've been considering just switching M1 and M2 controls, so that my mouseclicks actually correspond to which hand I'm using, but I'm wondering if this messes up anything else further down the line or makes the UI even more cumbersome to navigate?

Or maybe I should just give in and use a controller?

I noticed this within the first 15 minutes of the game, switched it right then and there and haven't looked back. However I switched to a controller and find I just prefer it overall (movement is smoother and I'm still in reach of my keyboard for quick-save/load so I'm not missing out on anything).

#45 Posted by Bistromath (617 posts) -

Yes, remapping M1 and 2 is very useful.

Also, I find the gamepad is kinda bleh in combat, especially if you have a higher FoV, but for inventory stuff and lean back talking to NPCs it's great.

Bonus Tip: You can map keyboard keys 1-8 to your favorites if you open the favorites menu and hit the number key over desired favorite.

#46 Posted by probablytuna (3666 posts) -

I actually have no problem with it whatsoever. Left mouse button has been burnt into my mind as the primary attack button.

#47 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

It only affects your weapon/spell actions tied to left/right hand. All the menu and interface stuff remains unchanged. DO IT DOOOOOOOO IT

That was the reason I hadn't switched yet, I'm going to change it right now, thanks!

#48 Posted by mortface (108 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@MB said:

Try using a bow, you'll zoom with M1 and fire with M2. Now that's insanity.

Oh god, I hadn't thought of that. I play a sort of mage-archer, so the M1/M2 default setup was annoying me when equipping spells, but I use archery when I'm OOM and I really don't want to mess up those controls. Hmm!

Can you bind several keys for the same thing? Maybe I could bind some keyboard buttons for attacks as well, and use keyboard for casting and equipping spells while keeping M1/M2 for archery.

#49 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (499 posts) -

I left the controls as-is. If you use a sword and shield, left click should always be your primary attack and right click to block so it makes sense.

#50 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I wish there was a way to swap buttons when changing from two-handed wielding to dual-wielding. Right click just feels weird when I'm Donkey-Kong hammering dudes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.