Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Has Bethesda discussed the default PC controls for Skyrim?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

Curious if anyone knows how Skyrim will control on PC.

The dual wielding makes sense on the 360, but I dont know how well that will translate to the PC. LT and RT make perfect sense for how Skyrim's combat seems to be built. It looks a lot more tactical compared to the flailing about in Oblivion, although plenty of flailing is expected.

LMB and RMB for left and right hand respectively? A quick google search came back with crap so hoping someone has read anything about the default PC controls. Or should we just expect Oblivion's default controls. Of course on PC you can remap any keys to what you want so it doesn't really matter, but I am curious to how Bethesda thinks the game should be played via KB/M.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MrOldboy said:

LMB and RMB for left and right hand respectively?

I can't imagine it working any other way than this.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ModernAlkemie

If it is LMB and RMB, I wonder how they will default bind the block button, which in Oblivion was RMB.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60
    @ModernAlkemie said:

If it is LMB and RMB, I wonder how they will default bind the block button, which in Oblivion was RMB.

As far as I know, you can't block with dual wield. 
    Thundermunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Thundermunch

they've said you can't block when dual wielding its weapon and shield or two handed weapon for blocking so should be just RMB again and LMB for attacking if you are playing like that

Avatar image for deactivated-5c69b4d231869
    deactivated-5c69b4d231869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if I don't want to use the mouse? Can I use arrow keys to look around? Or the NumPad?

In short, can I play this game like Doom?

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Adamsons
    @CL60 said:

@ModernAlkemie said:

As far as I know, you can't block with dual wield. 
    I think I remember reading hitting both buttons does a dual wield power attack, but cant source.

But ya, no blocking.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Controls
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

E for jump and Space for use 

>_>

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By ArcBorealis

@AhmadMetallic said:

E for jump and Space for use >_>

Should have expected as much. Well, I know I'll be going to the controls menu before starting the game.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hitchenson

@AhmadMetallic said:

What. It's the opposite to that. You know, how it more or less always is in PC games.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Hitchenson said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

What. It's the opposite to that. You know, how it more or less always is in PC games.

Someone needs to play Oblivion!
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Considering I'm pretty sure I can use the USB cord that came with my play and charge kit to hook a Xbox controller up to my computer, I might do that. It's more a convenience thing than anything else.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By shiftymagician

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Hitchenson said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Someone needs to play Oblivion!

Yep the default controls are usually E is jump and Space is Use. Should be easily changeable in the control settings though. I know I'm changing it as I'm so used to having it the other way around.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JasonR86

Yeah, they suggest using an Xboc360 controller.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By DaemonBlack

@ArbitraryWater said:

Considering I'm pretty sure I can use the USB cord that came with my play and charge kit to hook a Xbox controller up to my computer, I might do that. It's more a convenience thing than anything else.

I'm not a 100% but I'm pretty sure that you cannot hook a wireless controller up to a PC with the charge and play USB cord. The controller either needs to be wired or you need to buy the $15 wireless adapter for the computer.

IrishBrewed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IrishBrewed

Remap=profit

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By korwin

As with many other ports they will have simply mapped the keyboard and mouse inputs to the corresponding XInput API calls for a game pad. So odds are out of the box it will be LMB/RMB.

Expect grotesque acceleration/smoothing/mouse input sampling.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Stahlbrand

@ModernAlkemie said:

I would rather flip it. Kill things with my index finger and block with my middle finger. You can probably re-bind it anyways, so whatever, but I think blocking with LMB is counter-intuitive.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Stahlbrand

@ArbitraryWater said:

Sorry brother. No such luck. Play'n'charge cable carries only power, no data. You need a wired xbox controller or a Xbox wireless dongle for PC (hard to find, but you might see them at a computer store bundled with a controller in the PC gaming section).

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@AhmadMetallic said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JP_Russell

@Stahlbrand said:

@ModernAlkemie said:

I would rather flip it. Kill things with my index finger and block with my middle finger. You can probably re-bind it anyways, so whatever, but I think blocking with LMB is counter-intuitive.

I believe you can put the shield in whatever hand you like. Put the shield in your right hand and sword or axe or whatever in your left, and there you go - left mouse to attack, right mouse to block.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrOldboy

@JP_Russell said:

@Stahlbrand said:

@ModernAlkemie said:

I believe you can put the shield in whatever hand you like. Put the shield in your right hand and sword or axe or whatever in your left, and there you go - left mouse to attack, right mouse to block.

How about attacking with the shield. I think in the 360 version for example if you have...

weapon in right hand

shield in left hand

Holding LT and hitting RT will do like a shield bash. At least I feel like someone said this on video somewhere. Or maybe it was a perk or something.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JP_Russell

@MrOldboy said:

@JP_Russell said:

@Stahlbrand said:

@ModernAlkemie said:

How about attacking with the shield. I think in the 360 version for example if you have...

weapon in right hand

shield in left hand

Holding LT and hitting RT will do like a shield bash. At least I feel like someone said this on video somewhere. Or maybe it was a perk or something.

It is a perk, yes. And I'm sure it works regardless of which hand you put the shield in. It's just that you'd be holding right and hitting left, instead, if you had the shield in your right hand.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

@AhmadMetallic said:

As has been the standard for a decade of Elder Scrolls.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bribo

I dont know - some sort of mouse keyboard combo that you'll instantly be familiar with? Not that it matters, seeing as it was designed with the Xbox contoller in mind.

On an unrelated note, Parchment 2 needs a troll button.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrOldboy

@JP_Russell: That is my worry with using LMB/RMB. I can see a lot of attacking and blocking getting pretty annoying after a while. If the default controls end up being uncomfortable I'll try a 360 controller.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cataphract1014

@Stahlbrand said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Sorry brother. No such luck. Play'n'charge cable carries only power, no data. You need a wired xbox controller or a Xbox wireless dongle for PC (hard to find, but you might see them at a computer store bundled with a controller in the PC gaming section).

If you have a ps3 you can use that and some fan drivers that let it simulate a 360 controller with just the recharge cable.

It find it kinda funny that my sony stuff works with my PC better than my microsoft stuff. I was able to stream video off my PC on my PS3 way easier than I was with my 360.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By spartanlolz92

i think ill just be pluggin in my xbox controller. hopefully that day one patch fixes alot of bugs ive heard horror stories about new vegas on the pc like it glitched to where a room you entered you cant get out of

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JP_Russell

@MrOldboy said:

@JP_Russell: That is my worry with using LMB/RMB. I can see a lot of attacking and blocking getting pretty annoying after a while. If the default controls end up being uncomfortable I'll try a 360 controller.

I'm not sure what you mean. It was the same in Oblivion and it was perfectly natural there, I thought. Dark Messiah and Mount and Blade are the same, as well.

The only thing I could see being potentially a little awkward, at least at first, is dual-wielding two one-handed melee weapons. But then, I don't imagine it would be any more awkward than alternating two triggers on a gamepad for the left and right swing repeatedly.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By canucks23

You can remap the controls, so they're whatever you'd like them to be.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By captain_clayman

i'm probably just going to play it with a 360 controller unless the controls are really good.  which they probably wont be.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrOldboy

@JP_Russell: I found the PC controls rather clunky in Oblivion. But I honestly played it mostly on 360. Only recently going back to oblivion on PC. Maybe if I spent more time with it I would feel differently. Was hoping to see some of the PC version tomorrow with Greg's marathon, but Jeff said it'll be the 360 version since no one has gotten PC copies. I hate when publishers dont give out PC versions, makes buying the PC version a gamble on release day.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JP_Russell

@MrOldboy said:

@JP_Russell: I found the PC controls rather clunky in Oblivion. But I honestly played it mostly on 360. Only recently going back to oblivion on PC. Maybe if I spent more time with it I would feel differently. Was hoping to see some of the PC version tomorrow with Greg's marathon, but Jeff said it'll be the 360 version since no one has gotten PC copies. I hate when publishers dont give out PC versions, makes buying the PC version a gamble on release day.

Well, Oblivion's controls as a whole weren't ideal, but I just meant in terms of having LMB for attack and RMB for blocking. It's a pretty standard default control scheme in melee oriented games on the PC. Come to think of it, I think Zeno Clash also used it.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By shiftymagician

Okay guys PC update for controls. E is Use and Space is Jump.

PARADIGMS HAVE SHIFTED!!

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MrOldboy

@JP_Russell said:

@MrOldboy said:

Well, Oblivion's controls as a whole weren't ideal, but I just meant in terms of having LMB for attack and RMB for blocking. It's a pretty standard default control scheme in melee oriented games on the PC. Come to think of it, I think Zeno Clash also used it.

Yeah, but I dont think that would be the default controls for PC. Since its not attack and block anymore its right and left hands.

You can have a sword in your right hand and magic in your left for instance. Right clicking to attack and then left clicking for magic just feels awkward. That's why I am going to try out a 360 controller when Skyrim comes out. RT and LT just fit perfectly for using two hands in games. That probably informed their design of the combat in Skyrim compared to Oblivion.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JP_Russell

@MrOldboy said:

@JP_Russell said:

@MrOldboy said:

Yeah, but I dont think that would be the default controls for PC. Since its not attack and block anymore its right and left hands.

You can have a sword in your right hand and magic in your left for instance. Right clicking to attack and then left clicking for magic just feels awkward.

I don't see that as a problem if you can choose which hand to equip things in, though. I agree that left-click for a spell and right-click for a sword would feel weird, so I plan to simply always put my one-handed melee weapon in my left hand so I use it with left-click, and my shield/spell/wand in my right so I use it with right-click. Or if I have both a standard combat spell and a more circumstantial spell equipped, I'll put the former in the left hand and the latter in the right. It seems like a non-issue to me.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrOldboy

@JP_Russell said:

@MrOldboy said:

@JP_Russell said:

@MrOldboy said:

You can have a sword in your right hand and magic in your left for instance. Right clicking to attack and then left clicking for magic just feels awkward.

I don't see that as a problem if you can choose which hand to equip things in, though. I agree that left-click for a spell and right-click for a sword would feel weird, so I plan to simply always put my one-handed melee weapon in my left hand so I use it with left-click, and my shield/spell/wand in my right so I use it with right-click. Or if I have both a standard combat spell and a more circumstantial spell equipped, I'll put the former in the left hand and the latter in the right. It seems like a non-issue to me.

It is a non-issue I guess since you should be able to remap the keys. I guess it depends on how I play, but if I tend to use magic and a weapon I think I will go for right hand weapon= LMB and left handed magic= E, Q, or F. Or maybe I'll remap my logitech mouse so one of the multiple buttons does left hand. I like first person games to have the weapon in the right hand or if its a gun hold it as a right handed person. I remember my friends who were left handed actually changed the setting in counter-strike so it would be left handed, always looked weird to me. Weapon in left hand of screen while having mouse on right of screen feels weird to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.