Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Hearthfire or Dragonborn?

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,

So Dragonborn arrived on the PSN this week at a neat half price too but I heard the other DLC would be out soon. Since I'm not loaded I'd only like 2 bits of Skyrim's DLC and Dawnguard is a definite. So should I get Dragonborn or Hearthfire. I'm currently leaning towards Dragonborn because I believe Hearthfire is just...house building and kids however after seeing them dump generic draugr in Morrowind of all places in the QL for Dragonborn I'm not so sure. My pal is like "HEY YOU CAN RIDE A DRAGON!" but I'm wondering if Hearthfire has any hidden gems making it really worth getting so I'm wondering what thoughts other guys have on the DLC, especially if they've played the DLC already and so can make recommendations.

Thanks duders!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

Dragonborn might still have draugr in places, but it's a very significant chunk of new content. Plenty of new areas, new abilities, and new enemies to make it worth it.

Hearthfire on the other hands is pretty throw away.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Out of curiousity, why is Dawnguard a definite for you?

Hearthfire is great for what it is (a housing mod, essentially), but Dragonborn has proper content.

Also, the Draugr originated in Morrowind: Bloodmoon, so that really shouldn't put you off Dragonborn.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Uh, why not get both? If you take advantage of the first week sales you'd be buying all three for $22.50. Dragonborn is the only must buy of the three in my opinion. It introduces some new things and I believe there is a way to respec your character in Dragonborn. For $2.50 why not get Hearthfire? It gives you the ability to build your own house and it adds some nice quests to protect your homestead.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gravier251

There really is nothing to Hearthfire beyond wandering back and forth to town buying assorted ingots over and over, along with lumber mill wood, etc. And eventually after some time having a house along with the option to adopt kids. That is all of it really. Dragonborn is a lot more extensive and also a lot better in layout than Dawnguard aswell. It provides you with a self contained island to explore with new content whereas Dawnguard (especially if you have played a bunch of skyrim) tends to just repopulate dungeons you have already cleared for the side content.

And yeah, Draugr are indeed nothing new to the island of Solthsteim. The Nordic Skaal tribe have lived there a very long time and most of the names present for areas of the island back in Morrowind were Nord in nature rather than Dunmer.

Out of Dawnguard and Dragonborn the latter has been the more diverse and interesting of the two (Apocrypha especially) so I definitely wouldn't pass up that one in favour of either of the others.

You should be fine skipping Hearthfire though, unless you really want yet another house to dump loot in.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pierre42

@aishan said:

Out of curiousity, why is Dawnguard a definite for you?

Hearthfire is great for what it is (a housing mod, essentially), but Dragonborn has proper content.

Also, the Draugr originated in Morrowind: Bloodmoon, so that really shouldn't put you off Dragonborn.

I suppose so but I liked the look of Dawnguard, Werewolf skill tree for one sounds appealing. Cool vampire forms are also interesting but killing them looks more fun.

Still at the time of posting I hadn't realised Hearthfire would be so cheap on arrival but we'll see thanks for the advice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.