Help me! regarding Stormcloacks and Imperials

#1 Posted by GeneralMojo_786 (219 posts) -

first of all HI!
ive been playing Skyrim for quite some time and im loving it! (playing on ps3)
im level 21
im on top of the food chain in the companions guild
i also married the huntress (forgot her name but i diged her real good)
i own a home in whiterun and invested alot of crap into it along with keeping valuables in that home.
i just want to know becuase i heard from the stormcloacks they will attack whiterun? is all that i have in danger?
i wanted to join the stormcloacks becuase i like the idea of rebels agains the rich goverment type, but at the same time i get hints that they are racists, (Windhelm i think its called, has all this s*** happening there, and the nords dont like other races?) that kinda put me off from the stormcloacks.
the imperials seem like douches aswell, so i want to know will anything happen in whiterun if i pick a side or stay a free agent :)

#2 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Whiterun takes a beating if you side with the Stormcloaks, though it does eventually return to normal so valuables stored in your home should be safe.

#3 Posted by JonSmith (171 posts) -

Whatever you're going to do, do it fast, because once that save file hits a certain size...

Well, you won't be doing anything in Skyrim. I apologize for being a killjoy. Enjoy Skyrim!

#4 Posted by mikey87144 (1737 posts) -

All valuables stored in your house will be fine

#5 Posted by GeneralMojo_786 (219 posts) -
@JonSmith: LOL ive heard about this little disease spreading on the ps3 version, i notice my save file is getting bigger too, ever since the last patch my games been running smooth, no problems so far.
#6 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

I'd take corrupt bigots over racists. Imperials all the way! :P

#7 Posted by Elyk247 (366 posts) -

@JonSmith said:

Whatever you're going to do, do it fast, because once that save file hits a certain size...

Well, you won't be doing anything in Skyrim. I apologize for being a killjoy. Enjoy Skyrim!

Haha. That hit the nail right on the head.

#8 Posted by FTomato (234 posts) -

It has nothing to do with save size. The size of the save rises the same on all platforms. It's just an actions made thing (killing enemies, taking items, etc.). The frame rate will look bad in towns, but it's completely playable even 80 hours in. Your items will be fine. Whiterun will be inaccessible while that mission is ongoing, but nothing permanent happens to any quest characters, vendors, or your house.

#9 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

@JonSmith said:

I have like 70 hours in the ps3 version and have not experienced these problems after the latest few patches...

#10 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I joined the Stormcloaks the first time through and regretted it. I much prefer the Imperials, even if the Stormcloaks are fighting for religious freedom (among other things). Yes the Imperials signed the White Gold Concordat which outlawed Talos but that was the only way they could stop the war with the Thalmor, who had already taken the Imperial City and many other territories. By rebelling against the Empire, the Stormcloaks are dividing and weakening not only the Imperial army but the nations of men as a whole, especially after the Redguards separated from the Empire. Yes the Imperials were going to execute you without trial and yes corruption is present in their nobility, but you can't blame them for either, as they suspected you to be in cahoots with the rebels and the nobles are all vying for individual power in the absence of an heir to the throne.

While Ulfric's rebellion may be justified in its plight for religious freedom, it is ultimately jeopardizing not only Skyrim and Cyrodiil for another invasion, but all men throughout Tamriel. The Empire is stronger as one, regardless of what religious oppression the Thalmor may force upon it. In fact, the religious oppression is a better reason to stay with the Empire in the long run, as it gives the men of Tamriel another reason to join together in fighting back their Thalmor oppressors.

Do the right thing and fight for the Empire.

#11 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

Ulfric is a power-hungry bigot.

Kill 'em all.

#12 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

i was going to side with the stormcloaks

but then i go to see ulfric and he's a massive racist, so no help for him. i mean, at least curb your bigotry for five goddamn seconds when the one person who is powerful enough to gift you the entire country is standing right next to you and happens to be an elf.

#13 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

I always side with the stormcloaks. The empire would have been better to fall than sign away their religious freedom.

#14 Edited by Doctorchimp (4074 posts) -

How naive are you to side with the stormcloaks just because they are rebels?

Do you really think Ulfric knows what he's doing? That dude just wants to be king.

#15 Edited by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

Don't choose either, the quest line is kind of boring and the world doesn't change significantly enough to properly acknowledge what you've done.

If you must choose, I'd say imperials, because if you dig for information on Ulfric you'll find stuff out there about him(eg: the book "The Bear of Markarth"), being a racist/war criminal/power monger.

Also in the end the real enemy is the Altmer, so a strong united empire would probably be the best bet in defeating their next thrust at Cyrodil.

Either way you shake it, it's a shitty outcome, because one of the choices will be non-canon.

Additionally all the Jarls that support the Stormcloaks tend to be huge dicks while the ones that support the empire seem to be metered rational individuals, with the possible exception of Maven Black Briar.

Regardless I think my original solution on not completing the quest-line is the best answer, as the world is more interesting with the war actively occurring than it is with it over and done with.

#16 Posted by Pipeto (7 posts) -

Theres some book you can read, I can't remember what its called but you can find it during the quest that takes you into the Thalmor Embassy, that will imply that Ulfric Stormcloak is in the Thalmor's pocket and has been manipulated by them since the great war. They do also consider him a dangerous and unpredictable element though, so take from that what you will.

#17 Posted by Pezen (1594 posts) -

Considering the Imperials are nothing more than Thalmor whipped Ghetto Police, I offered my aid to the Stormcloaks.

#18 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I ended up remaining neutral in my first two play-throughs, but I think that I'll be siding with the Imperials my third time around. Ulfric killed a king because he wanted be in charge, and he's a racist piece of shit. Although the Thalmor have their hands in the Imperial's business (and wanted to chop off my head), I believe that a unified Empire is the only to prevent Skyrim from completely fall apart.

#19 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -

I sided with the Imperials and tbh almost that entire quest line was hella lame.

#20 Posted by Turambar (6742 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
I sided with the Imperials and tbh almost that entire quest line was hella lame.

The storm cloak quest line is just as boring.  You get the jagged crown, then go around doing fort invasions just like the imperial one.

On topic, the Ulfric is a near sighted, power hungry, long lived nord tradition ignoring racist.  Plus he's also

#21 Posted by Turambar (6742 posts) -
@DaemonBlack said:

I always side with the stormcloaks. The empire would have been better to fall than sign away their religious freedom.

Because if the Empire fell, the Thalmor would totally let them retain religious autonomy, right?
#22 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@DaemonBlack said:

Because if the Empire fell, the Thalmor would totally let them retain religious autonomy, right?

No.. that's why I would say it would be better to fall, to die for what they believe. That is something the Nords are willing to do and I respect that.

But Ulfric is a total jackass and I wish there was an option at the end of the questline to kill him and lead the resistance yourself.

#23 Posted by JonSmith (171 posts) -

After reading some of these other posts, it suddenly occurs to me just how much I miss Yes Man.

#24 Posted by Beforet (2918 posts) -

I'll admit, that speech Ulfric game to his housecarl when you first talk to him almost made me side with the stormcloaks.

#25 Posted by Renachan (137 posts) -

I'm Khajiit on my current playthtough, so how much a racist jerk Ulfric is made me decide to join the Imperials so I could kill Ulfric. Yes the empire has issues and as Talos blessings work my character considered that all the prof she needed.

But handing Skyrim over to Ulfric would doom it just as much, as he is using the cause to gain power. If there was an option to deal with him and get someone else in charge? That would have been pretty tempting.

As is my first brush with Ulfric had him talking about attacking Whiterun if they didn't side with him. It was a swift final nail in the coffin

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.