High level magery

#1 Posted by Veektarius (4824 posts) -

So my second character hit level 35 today. I'm not sure if it was at level 35 or a few levels before, but the enemies have gotten significantly harder, with huge hit bars such that my Expert-level destruction spells (with 50% off, of course) cannot kill them before I'm out of my 450 magicka. I can kill them with some backpedaling and summoning and the help of my companion, but if I let them get close, I start needing potions, which is something I've been able to do without since level 10 or so. My best chances, frustratingly, seem to be to double-fist my apprentice-level bolt spells to stagger them as they charge me and do so repeatedly until I crit. I can think of several ways to proceed and I would like advice on which is most likely to reap rewards.

A) Focus on element-specific and ultimate-level abilities for my destruction spells - fire/fear, ice/paralyze etc. That'll take four skill points til I max it all out

B) Focus on enchanting - I have almost enough smithing for Ebony and my enchanting is 77. It's been my long-term plan since I started to trade out my wizard robes for heavy armor as soon as I maxed enchanting for the double-enchantment perk.

C) Focus on alteration - My alteration is only at like 35, but I could give up on the heavy armor dream for awhile and work towards the mage armor perk that'd increase my durability substantially so long as I maintain the spell

D) Focus on Magicka - 450 magicka you say?! At level 35?! Scandalous! I should repeatedly put more points into Magicka before I can cast earth-shattering amounts of destruction spells with ease.

E) Focus on Health - Maybe high level fights are going to take awhile as a mage regardless and I should resign myself to being constantly out of mana. The real problem then, is that I can't take anything like what I'm dishing out.

F) Focus on conjuration - My conjuration is at 62, so a good long ways from the top and levels slowly despite fairly frequent use. Nevertheless, maybe I'm supposed to be relying more on familiars and atronachs (i'm already going up the atronach, rather than undead path) and so I should focus on making them stronger and especially achieving the ultimate goal of having two at once.

I appreciate your input.

#2 Posted by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

In destruction I'd recommend you avoid the secondary effects for spells (fear,paralyze,disintegrate) as they occur close to the death of the enemy/monster/w/e so in the end they sort of become a waste. Focusing on double enchanting is a very good idea, because you really do need a lot of magic regen and school cost reduction to make pure magic viable for long drawn out fights.

You can always go over to http://skyrimcalculator.com/ and spec out a few builds, starting from where you are now to see what you think you might like.

In the end though don't worry to much about it, as it can kind of ruin the fun of the game. Also consider the necromage perk in restoration it gives a 25% bonus to the effects of, "all spells" versus, undead and you certainly fight a lot of Draugr in this game.

#3 Posted by ArcadeHero (72 posts) -

I had the same problem with my character. Bust out the enchanting and get as much -X% destruction spells enchants as you can. I had a ring and a necklace that were about -20% each, combined with the perks, made fireballs cost about 10mp. At that point i could blow everything up with ease.

Also work on conjuration, because the dremura lord (2 at 100 skill) is really effective.

#4 Posted by Berserker976 (359 posts) -

@BelligerentEngine: I could be wrong, but I thought only the fire and lightning top perks required the enemy to be low on health. Isn't the ice one a straight percentage?

On topic, I generally agree with what BelligerentEngine had to say. I'd only add that it might be worth trying to get used to using Wards, and raising your alteration skill might not be too bad either, you get some pretty good defensive perks, as you mentioned.

#5 Posted by punpun (232 posts) -

It's possible to make any two schools of magic cost nothing at all with max enchanting. 

No spell cost + master level lightning spell = I am fucking Goku

#6 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

For my second play-through, I decided to increase my Alteration skill just so I could invest points into the Magic Resist perk. My first character is a beast, but I noticed that I come uncomfortably close to getting wrecked whenever I run into upper-class mages. 46 levels into my second character and Magic Resist helps a lot, especially in the Expert and Master difficulty levels.

#7 Posted by pweidman (2333 posts) -

Assuming you're rolling with a companion(if not, maybe conjure should be part of your plan)I would:

Focus on enchanting to get the double enchant ability(takes 100, but easy to grind up). Make that Ebony armor, and chugg some smithing potions(or make jewelry, or both)to overlvl it. Don't waste perks on the ends of the element trees. When you get to add the enchantments, focus on Magicka on one piece maybe but quicker regen is better, along with Destruction. Health on some of the armor. Making a necklace and ring that both have Magicka Regen, and Destruction really helps me.

Also, have a good enchanted two hander ready on your favs to crack those enemies that get close plus Ice Shouts. Good luck, and figuring this all out is most of the fun anyway.

#8 Posted by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

@Axxol said:

For my second play-through, I decided to increase my Illusion skill just so I could invest points into the Magic Resist perk. My first character is a beast, but I noticed that I come uncomfortably close to getting wrecked whenever I run into upper-class mages. 46 levels into my second character and Magic Resist helps a lot, especially in the Expert and Master difficulty levels.

Make sure to do the quest at the temple of mara you get a permanent buff that gives you 15% magic resist.

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@BelligerentEngine said:

@Axxol said:

For my second play-through, I decided to increase my Illusion skill just so I could invest points into the Magic Resist perk. My first character is a beast, but I noticed that I come uncomfortably close to getting wrecked whenever I run into upper-class mages. 46 levels into my second character and Magic Resist helps a lot, especially in the Expert and Master difficulty levels.

Make sure to do the quest at the temple of mara you get a permanent buff that gives you 15% magic resist.

That'll go nice with my magic resist Armor I plan to make. I'm level 59 in my first playthrough and I didn't even touch the House of Mara quest series. For shame :(.

#10 Edited by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

Get Enchanting to 100 so you can make armor that decreases Destruction magic usage by 100%, never worry about magic again.

#11 Posted by Veektarius (4824 posts) -

@Berserker976: Nope, all the ultimate abilities are tied to 'low health'. I'm not sure what that percentage is, but I took the lightning one and it only very rarely seems to work on someone who's more than a couple shots from death.

Thanks for the tips regarding enchanting. I kind of thought that was the way to go but it seemed a little cheap. Maybe once you reach the endgame, cheap is how you're supposed to play it. Problem is I don't have enough souls. At 88 I'm down to about 30 soulstones. I'll need to do some spelunking in dwarven ruins to loot the stones off those mechanical things. Also out of gold and silver, which I liked enchanting to trade with magic vendors for soulstones, whereas iron daggers cannot. I guess there's always general stores...

Anyway, not only will double-enchanting allow me to survive longer, but I can put magic resistance on all of my follower's gear and I can live free of fear that I'm going to kill them - resistances are fixed, right? I feel like I've killed my frost atronach a few times by casting ice storm through him.

#12 Edited by BasketSnake (1202 posts) -

Enchanting 100% destruction reduction is all you need. You don't need to think about armor or resistance at all since you can simply spam so much shit everything goes up in flames. It's really that simple. Did they allow this in Oblivion? It really baffles me how they allow you to do this so easily in the game. It's breaking the game if you ask me.

#13 Posted by Nux (2358 posts) -

Do you know the Soul Trap exploit? Just keep casting Soul Trap on a horse you own and in under an hour(for me it took around 30 min) your conjuration will hit 100. Then all you have to do is get the perk Twin Souls and then summon 2 Dremora Lords. Thats what I did and now nothing can touch me.

#14 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

@BasketSnake said:

Enchanting 100% destruction reduction is all you need. You don't need to think about armor or resistance at all since you can simply spam so much shit everything goes up in flames. It's really that simple. Did they allow this in Oblivion? It really baffles me how they allow you to do this so easily in the game. It's breaking the game if you ask me.

In Skyrim you can make your spells cost 0. But your spells don't scale and suck compared to all other combat options. While you couldn't make the costs 0 in Oblivion or Morrowind you could at least make powerful spells.

There are a 100 and 1 ways to break every Bethesda game. Skyrim is actually underwhelming when it comes to this.

#15 Posted by project343 (2825 posts) -

@Veektarius: Max out enchanting. Get the free destro spells + as much mana regen as you can, and extra magicka if regen isn't an option. You should have a base destro attack, and freely spend your mana on tide-turning abilities, like illusion's frenzy, or alteration's paralyse. This is a solid framework to run with if you're going pure mage. But honestly, I've found this one to work out much better (for me). If you start doing some math, you'll realize that Mage Armor only leaves you with about 300 armour--at least if my memory serves right. You can, however, hit the 80% damage reduction cap with Heavy Armor and all relevant perks with Smithing, and Daedric armor--which seems to be at 567 armor. With enchanting, having robes is mostly useless. You can enchant all your armor with +regen and completely compensate for the lack of regen inherent to all robe stats, while gaining almost double the armor.

#16 Posted by BasketSnake (1202 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@BasketSnake said:

In Skyrim you can make your spells cost 0. But your spells don't scale and suck compared to all other combat options. While you couldn't make the costs 0 in Oblivion or Morrowind you could at least make powerful spells.

There are a 100 and 1 ways to break every Bethesda game. Skyrim is actually underwhelming when it comes to this.

I honestly think My spells are pretty powerful. I also have two dremoras with me at all time and they fuck up everything. I'm level 63 now and in one end of a pretty long dungeon I encountered something like fifteen draugr deathlords. I had a hell of a time with that fight but only because I'm now wearing deadric armor and a big axe with no warrior perks. I had to let my dremora lords take care of them. I'm killed instantly by the deathlords. Those fights are fun though.

#17 Posted by Xiemos2 (226 posts) -

Since I never played Oblivion, I played through this game as a normal mage, aka I dumped a lot of points into magicka and I wore archmage robes and the like. I was burned out on the game at around level 29 because I was walking death, the game was retardedly easy... everything died in a few shots or I'd just stunlock something (on master). I didn't realize you could max out enchanting to become a living god until I started perusing some Wiki's after I got bored of the game.

I'm just amazed that the game can keep your guys attention! I could remake my mage, have four times the health, 500x the armor, and spells that cost nothing? Geeze.

#18 Posted by wubb (277 posts) -

If you max enchantment you can make magic crazy overpowered. After I hit 100 on Destruction I started using a bow just so I would be leveling something, but now that I've hit level 50 I've started switching back to 0 cost destruction magic when I want to blow through some enemies. Like yesterday I was jumped by 4 Draugr Deathlords and when it became clear they were going to be a bitch to take out with my bow I did a quick outfit change and burnt through them like butter using Incinerate.

#19 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Battle Mage solves that problem.

#20 Posted by DemiG0D (4 posts) -

Is trying to maximize destruction, conjuration, and enchanting a wise choice?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.