Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Hopeful on Creepy Locations

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Edited By Cincaid
    No Caption Provided

When I'm writing this it's a mere five days until Skyrim is unleashed on the world. At first I had my copy pre-ordered from Amazon UK, but since I live in Sweden I wouldn't get my copy until the 14th at the earliest. I imagined going insane in the few days I had to be without a copy while reading on all the cool stuff online, so I cancelled my order and placed a pre-order from a Swedish retailer instead, even if it meant paying 10 more Euro.

But five days still feels like an eternity, and I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited over a game release. I played both Morrowind and Oblivion to death, and from what I can tell Skyrim will only improve on things. Unless the game is flat-out broken I have a very hard time thinking it will disappoint me in any way.

Today I've been thinking a lot about areas I'd like to see in the game. I remember the somewhat spooky village in Oblivion with its residents seemingly didn't want you around. If you stayed at the inn you wake up at night, and all the villagers have moved below ground to worship some evil deity. They also kidnapped a young girl, which you could of course set free. The whole thing was a really terrifying experience, and I still remember it today when I think of Oblivion.

I really want to see similar locations in Skyrim; small villages where something is clearly wrong beneath the surface. Or maybe a deserted village, you find a bed, only to be awaken at night by some horrible and strange sounds? A mist have filled the village streets, and it becomes clear what happened to the residents.

I'd also love to see gigantic towers, begging to be climbed and explored. Another awesome idea would be finding a trapdoor in the middle of nowhere in a forest, only to discover it leading to an upside-down tower going far downwards to treasure and fiends.

All in all I can barely wait any longer for Skyrim. My expectations are soaring high, and hopefully the 12h marathon with Greg on Thursday can calm me down enough for the Friday release. If you happen to read this and care enough to comment, what areas do you want to see on Friday?

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Cincaid
    No Caption Provided

When I'm writing this it's a mere five days until Skyrim is unleashed on the world. At first I had my copy pre-ordered from Amazon UK, but since I live in Sweden I wouldn't get my copy until the 14th at the earliest. I imagined going insane in the few days I had to be without a copy while reading on all the cool stuff online, so I cancelled my order and placed a pre-order from a Swedish retailer instead, even if it meant paying 10 more Euro.

But five days still feels like an eternity, and I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited over a game release. I played both Morrowind and Oblivion to death, and from what I can tell Skyrim will only improve on things. Unless the game is flat-out broken I have a very hard time thinking it will disappoint me in any way.

Today I've been thinking a lot about areas I'd like to see in the game. I remember the somewhat spooky village in Oblivion with its residents seemingly didn't want you around. If you stayed at the inn you wake up at night, and all the villagers have moved below ground to worship some evil deity. They also kidnapped a young girl, which you could of course set free. The whole thing was a really terrifying experience, and I still remember it today when I think of Oblivion.

I really want to see similar locations in Skyrim; small villages where something is clearly wrong beneath the surface. Or maybe a deserted village, you find a bed, only to be awaken at night by some horrible and strange sounds? A mist have filled the village streets, and it becomes clear what happened to the residents.

I'd also love to see gigantic towers, begging to be climbed and explored. Another awesome idea would be finding a trapdoor in the middle of nowhere in a forest, only to discover it leading to an upside-down tower going far downwards to treasure and fiends.

All in all I can barely wait any longer for Skyrim. My expectations are soaring high, and hopefully the 12h marathon with Greg on Thursday can calm me down enough for the Friday release. If you happen to read this and care enough to comment, what areas do you want to see on Friday?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

The forest trapdoor has my vote, that's perfectly random in such a big open world.

I'd really want to see a cursed village or sorts, those are always the best and creepiest in these games, especially since you're in first person mode most of the time.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Getz

Anything that radically changes the visual design for one level would be nice to have. Oblivion had moments like that, when you go inside a painting and the Shivering Isles. After 40 hours of seeing the same towns and people it can be refreshing when a game throws you a visual curve ball.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Adamsons
    @Getz said:

Anything that radically changes the visual design for one level would be nice to have. Oblivion had moments like that, when you go inside a painting and the Shivering Isles. After 40 hours of seeing the same towns and people it can be refreshing when a game throws you a visual curve ball.

Agree with this fully, that painting quest was so bizzare and awesome.

I kinda hope we see more of the daedric realms, shivering isles was fantastic, oblivion gates.. ehh..

An awesome example would be..

Hermaeus Mora's Apocrypha

Apocrypha is Hermaeus Mora's realm. It is an endless library where all forbidden knowledge can be found. The books all have black covers with no titles, and the library is haunted by ghosts forever searching for knowledge.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By ADAMWD

On one of the interviews with Todd Howard, I remember him referencing entering the painting in Oblivion, saying that there would be more things like that in Skyrim. He said that after all, this is a fantasy game, so they would definitely be including a lot of imaginative areas and events.

One of my favorite moments in Oblivion wasn't a specific area, but rather the Dark Brotherhood quest where you were in a house with like 5 other people and you were all supposed to be searching for some hidden treasure. But, in reality there was no treasure, and you were sent there by the Brotherhood to assassinate each participant. I thought that was a really creative and fun quest, and I hope there are a lot of unique quests like that in Skyrim.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Subjugation

Locations I would like to see? Anywhere I can find @ADAMWD said:

Dark Brotherhood

Easily my favorite part of Oblivion by a country mile.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

The best part of oblivion was The janky shit that would happen. I remember walking high in the north one time, trying to get to a quest or a town. A marker of some sort. Then out of nowhere a whole bunch of dudes jumped out of the trees and ran across the road to this castle. They started attacking it and asking me for help. I helped them and took the castle.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By alexl86

@Adamsons: There was a quest where you went to Boethia's plane, the problem was that they didn't have new assets associated with it. No crazy labyrinths, or twisty tower...

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By planetary

@Dagbiker said:

The best part of oblivion was The janky shit that would happen. I remember walking high in the north one time, trying to get to a quest or a town. A marker of some sort. Then out of nowhere a whole bunch of dudes jumped out of the trees and ran across the road to this castle. They started attacking it and asking me for help. I helped them and took the castle.

Wait, when did we start talking about Red Dead Redemption?

beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beckley205

Ya In my opinion Oblivion wasnt very atmospheric. Oh look a vampire I'm gonna sneak past it. Oh he saw me. And now hes chasing me with a dagger and swinging it like a retarded monkey.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RsistncE

Reading what you have to say makes me sad: the concept of the elder scrolls games is incredible. The execution by Bethesda is fucking terrible. I've never been able to enjoy the games because the combat is slow and plodding and logically so much of the game is broken. Makes me angry more than anything else.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By jorbear

@Cincaid: I totally remember that quest, even down to the name of it. A Shadow Upon Hackdirt. Great quest, and I'm pretty sure that Bethesda would love to have more things like that.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By fattony12000

That painted world in Oblivion was good.

The Molag Bal quest was good.

The Mehrunes' Razor quest was good.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By project343

@ADAMWD said:

On one of the interviews with Todd Howard, I remember him referencing entering the painting in Oblivion, saying that there would be more things like that in Skyrim. He said that after all, this is a fantasy game, so they would definitely be including a lot of imaginative areas and events.

This is absolutely fantastic news. Honestly, A Brush With Death was my absolute favourite quest in Oblivion. It was quick, inventive, and completely original. And to be honest, this is exactly what Oblivion did better than just about every other RPG out there--at least of the past decade. Despite the fact that the game had 216 quests to undertake, many of them were surreal, bizarre, or just plain delightful from a narrative and design sense.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

@Fattony12000 said:

That painted world in Oblivion was good.

The Molag Bal quest was good.

The Mehrunes' Razor quest was good.

My favorite quest in Oblivion was the Sheogorath quest where you ended up raining flaming German shepards down upon a village superstitious cat people. I also recall stealing unique-named cheeses in that quest for some reason.

ripsaw117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ripsaw117

@Subjugation said:

Locations I would like to see? Anywhere I can find @ADAMWD said:

Dark Brotherhood

Easily my favorite part of Oblivion by a country mile.

Teh mods were mine ( well dark brotherhood+ finishing move mods)

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cincaid

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The forest trapdoor has my vote, that's perfectly random in such a big open world.

Thank you, :)

That scnario would be so awesome in my vview. "Oh what's this, a trapdoor?" - and suddenly you're in a gigantic upside-down tower.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SamStrife

@Cincaid said:

In all my time in Oblivion I never experianced this quest!

@Ravenlight said:

My favorite quest in Oblivion was the Sheogorath quest where you ended up raining flaming German shepards down upon a village superstitious cat people. I also recall stealing unique-named cheeses in that quest for some reason.

Or this one!

Jeez if Skyrim has as many random quests that you can spend hundreds of hours into the game and still not realise exist...I'll be happy.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Syndrom

just been playing a bit on the 360 version, and the first dungeon you encouter has an eerie vibe to it. The snowy mountain area leading to it too. Eerie stuff!

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Pibo47

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

The forest trapdoor has my vote, that's perfectly random in such a big open world. I'd really want to see a cursed village or sorts, those are always the best and creepiest in these games, especially since you're in first person mode most of the time.

God damn. Both these ideas legit gave me a stiffy. I am so fucking excited for Skyrim!!!

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Popskinz
    @Cincaid: I totally agree with you wholeheartedly -- Oblivion were home to some of the finest, most utterly terrifying moments in all of gaming, and I hope Skyrim will live up to that prestigious pedigree. Längtar till fredag! :3
    RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RedneckedCrake

I'd like there to be a lot of random happenings in Skyrim. Like you mentioned that creepy village in Oblivion that was performing the rituals underground. Having something similiar to that would be really cool. A village or castle you may stumble upon in the middle of nowhere and you have to kind of snoop around to find out what the place is all about. Places like that and random occurences around the map would definitely add to the experience.

I'd like some downright scary environments. I find being afraid in games immerses you a lot more than a lot of other emotions games make you feel.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cincaid

@Popskinz: Det kommer bli underbart!

@RedneckedCrake: Totally! I don't know if you played Fallout 3, but there's a small town that also has a dark secret...and only the grandfather knowns the truth!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.