How bad are the PS3 large save file performance issues?

#1 Posted by Excast (911 posts) -

I've been looking forward to picking up Skyrim, but am a bit weary now after hearing about the really severe lag many are experiencing as their saves reach a certain size. My PS3 isn't connected to the internet, so I don't really have the option of patching later on if a fix is made.

Just how bad and/or common are the problems?

#2 Posted by MadLeper (27 posts) -

I've seen a lot of raging about this issue on the official Bethesda forums, but I've yet to see any of the lag problems they describe. It's true the save game files grow steadily larger over time, but my own is about 7.5MB after maybe 30+ hours play and it's been lag free. No doubt some PS3 users are having lag issues, but it does appear to be a tiny (but VERY loud) minority.

#3 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

mine is a little over 8mb and I have been getting serious framerate drops every few hours when i play. reseting fixes it for another few hours but it comes back every time. however totally worth it this game is fucking awesome, you should figure out a way to get the patch. Plug the ethernet thats in your comp to your ps3 just to download the patch or something?

I really want to suggest the game, its fucking amazing, but I would also try to get the patch that is gonna come, cause otherwise your gonna have to reset every few hours eventually, and thats pretty annoying. In the end still worth it though

#4 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

If you stay away from completing quests that alter the world, you know the good ones, then you'll be okay. The guild quests are the ones that made the game unplayable for me. I ended up having to load a previous save and have just been playing off of that. The framerate in general is not even close to as smooth as the 360 version. Watching the quick look and the marathon almost made me buy a 360. The PS3 version just has worse graphics and an unstable framerate. Get any other version if you can.

#5 Posted by McBaines (5 posts) -

Just hit 25 hours and ive experienced some framerate issues, hopefully Bethesda patch it asap

#6 Posted by MadLeper (27 posts) -

Now that is an interesting point, I've done practically nothing with the main questline (just wandering around and doing minor quests), have a relatively large savegame file yet the game runs just as smooth as what I've seen on the 360 version. Perhaps the PS3 code has memory issues when the world gets modified too much.

#7 Posted by YukoAsho (2020 posts) -

Yeah, I knew this was going to happen. After the tin ear Bethesda turned to Fallout 3's issues on the PS3, I knew never to play a Beth game on that platform again.

#8 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

@YukoAsho said:

Yeah, I knew this was going to happen. After the tin ear Bethesda turned to Fallout 3's issues on the PS3, I knew never to play a Beth game on that platform again.

Funny thing is I say this to myself all of the time. Time and time again I keep buying them, because the hype is so huge. I keep forgetting that they're talking about a specific version. The even shittier thing is that it'll probably get GotY on many different sites, which is fine, but it makes me feel like shit when they do so only having played a single version. I feel like the only guy in a huge crowd going, "Wait guys, the PS3 version is total shit! Wait, wait!!!", lol.

#9 Posted by Elite_Jason (26 posts) -

I have experienced it only a few times. It only happens to me on those.few super long play sessions. From what I read it seems to happen because of too many variables going on in the background. The fix is to quit out of the game, and restart it. It is fine after that though.

#10 Posted by Excast (911 posts) -

The thing is, I have Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout:New Vegas. While the games are far from being glitch free, I have never experienced anything truly game breaking. A few lock ups? Sure. Nothing like the frame rate issues I am hearing about with Skyrim though.

I wonder if it might have something to do with older versions of the ps3.

#11 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

Haven't had any issues on PS3, 60 hours played. You could hook up your PS3 to the internet temporarily to get the patches? It'll be worth the effort, I reckon.

#12 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -

Man, I'm 17 hours in now and have been seeing some serious frame rate issues. Really hoping a patch is released soon.

#13 Posted by McBaines (5 posts) -

@Elite_Jason said:

I have experienced it only a few times. It only happens to me on those.few super long play sessions. From what I read it seems to happen because of too many variables going on in the background. The fix is to quit out of the game, and restart it. It is fine after that though.

Another fix is to just wait in game for say an hour, should fix it for a little bit

#14 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

@huntad said:

Funny thing is I say this to myself all of the time. Time and time again I keep buying them, because the hype is so huge. I keep forgetting that they're talking about a specific version. The even shittier thing is that it'll probably get GotY on many different sites, which is fine, but it makes me feel like shit when they do so only having played a single version. I feel like the only guy in a huge crowd going, "Wait guys, the PS3 version is total shit! Wait, wait!!!", lol.

I also have the ps3 version and have been getting some slowdown, but I would still probably make this my GotY(well this or dark souls). Even with the framerate issues, and the few lockups, this game is fucking awesome, and is the best of its type (open world rpgs).

#15 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

@Bucketdeth said:

Man, I'm 17 hours in now and have been seeing some serious frame rate issues. Really hoping a patch is released soon.

but is it happening everywhere? because the game is pretty huge and there are certain parts that are more demanding than others, even on my PC it can get laggy inside some dungeons, so maybe you are not experiencing the savegame bug yet, you just happen to go in some of those areas... OR you are doing quests nonstop while others are just roaming around the world.

#16 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

@Bucketdeth said:

but is it happening everywhere? because the game is pretty huge and there are certain parts that are more demanding than others, even on my PC it can get laggy inside some dungeons, so maybe you are not experiencing the savegame bug yet, you just happen to go in some of those areas... OR you are doing quests nonstop while others are just roaming around the world.

It's kind of random, it happens a lot in dungeons and in different parts of the world but no particular place. I have only done a few of the main quests line and am mostly doing side quests. The game is mostly fine but the frame rate does drop in a lot of spots and is a little frustrating.

#17 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

My game has only started lagging when I leave my PS3 running over night. Once I restart the game everything is fine again.

#18 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I'm nearing an 8MB save file and the only time I lag is during extended play sessions. A game reboot solves that right up.

#19 Edited by thellama042 (109 posts) -

My save is over 8M and I'm not experiencing any lag. Has anyone checked into whether or not it's possibly related to older PS3s? I have a 1 y.o. slim.

#20 Posted by Yoghurt (95 posts) -

Only 1 lock up (a lot of shit going on during the fight with some random dragon) and no frame rate issues, 40 hours played, huge savegame. Playing on slim.

#21 Edited by samhead5 (46 posts) -

I've played 25 hours and have only had frame rate issues when a lot of stuff is happening. Doesn't make it unplayable though because it doesn't last too long.

So it sounds like the issues only come after a few hours of playing. They made the game so good that you need to play it for hours and hours at a time? I don't think there is much to complain about just because everything else about the game is so so worth playing.

EDIT: Oh and its never locked up on me.

#22 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

The console's age has no effect on whether or not the problem occurs. I have a slim just over a year old as well. I had the problem after completing the Dark Brotherhood quest line. I mean, I had the problem after completing a lot of the main story quests as well, but the way the Dark Brotherhood quest line finished, it made the framerate drop way below anything I had seen before that.

#23 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -

This is really dissapointing to hear.

I think I'll stop playing Skyrim for a while until this problem is fixed.

#24 Posted by CornBREDX (5106 posts) -

I have only noticed frame rate drops occasionally after playing for several hours in one sitting. Other then that, game runs about as fine as I think it should- which is to say it doesn't inhibit me from playing.

#25 Posted by MidgardDragon (152 posts) -

I've had absolutely nothing like the supposedly crippling issues some have claimed. In towns after long play sessions it lags a bit, but a reboot fixes it immediately. I've progressed a decent amount through both the main quest and sidequests.

#26 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

They better be fixing this in the next patch because I'm really enjoying the game and will be understandably pissed off if this continuous bug (that's been in previous Bethesda titles) still isn't patched out.

I know it's Bethesda so we all give them a pass, but the fact that shit like this can still get through their Q&A is incredibly frustrating and unbelievable.

#27 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

3-4 lock-ups. My savefile is 12 MB and I'm 50 hours in. It went from 30 FPS to 1FPS during one of the Dark Brotherhood missions. It works just fine when I restart the game.

The patch should go live the week after Thanksgiving according to this Bethesda employee

Edit:

@Floppypants You're right about the loadtimes. I saw the PC-version being streamed and it took 2 seconds to load an indoor environment and 5 to load the world one. On my PS3 it takes 15-20 to load the world. I know they(Bethedsa) can do something about that.

#28 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

80 hours in and the game chugs on PS3.  It's atrocious.  The load times are bad enough already.  I'd shelf it, play something else until the patch.

#29 Posted by Excast (911 posts) -

Eh, honestly thinking about waiting on this one now, which is kind of a bummer. Considering I can't really patch it, I don't feel like enjoying the game in a broken form that is going to ruin my experience half way in.

#30 Posted by yakov456 (1905 posts) -

I'm at about 20 hours and I do have to say that as of late there have been some slowdown/frame rate problems. Nothing to lock it up but I do notice, also some random pop in scenery at times, that may be normal though?

#31 Posted by TheInsider (50 posts) -

120gig Slim that I put an 80gig SSD in, smooth frame rate and super quick menus and map access thanks to the SSD. No lock ups.

9meg save file at 60 hours

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.