How does Dragonborn work on Steam?

#1 Edited by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

Before I buy it I wanna make sure it won't cause me any problems.

Does it get added onto Skyrim as an extension to the map, which means merely more locations (or a new province, Morrowind,) with its independent set of main and side quests? I can go on with my 17 hour character and the installed mods and everything WITHOUT problem, only a new location on the map and its set of quests?

Thanks.

#2 Posted by Linkster7 (1043 posts) -

I havent tried that specific DLC, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say. YES, yes you can without any trouble.

#3 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

I'm waiting to hit the buy button someone answer me please

#4 Posted by President_Barackbar (3474 posts) -

You won't have an issue with your game. All the DLC is meant to be as unintrusive as possible, plus Dragonborn mostly takes place in an independent world space.

#5 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

You won't have an issue with your game. All the DLC is meant to be as unintrusive as possible, plus Dragonborn mostly takes place in an independent world space.

Thank you. Users on this website aren't very big on helping others huh? Just fighting about sexism or something.

#6 Posted by Capum15 (4996 posts) -
@OfficeGamer said:

Before I buy it I wanna make sure it won't cause me any problems.

Does it get added onto Skyrim as an extension to the map, which means merely more locations (or a new province, Morrowind,) with its independent set of main and side quests? I can go on with my 170 hour character and the installed mods and everything WITHOUT problem, only a new location on the map and its set of quests?

Thanks.

Like someone else said, it takes place in it's own little map on an island. It has it's own side quests, locations, main quest, etc, and seems pretty big. I got it this morning and was able to simply hit "continue" on my current save and have it work. Mods will work with whatever current version they have, though they won't include Dragonborn-specific stuff until they update (obviously). Or at least my mods had no issues with it. I've only gotten into it for about an hour before I had to leave, but it worked just fine.

Also, @OfficeGamer said:

Thank you. Users on this website aren't very big on helping others huh? Just fighting about sexism or something.

It's noon where I am, so a large chunk of users living in America are probably out doing stuff like work or school, so the boards probably aren't as active as later in the day.
#7 Edited by Superfriend (1585 posts) -

It´s not even a new location on the map.. it´s a new map. After you have traveled to Solstheim for the first time, you get an arrow on your worldmap that takes you to the new island.

The new island has its own overworld map, completely seperate from the old map. It does add some minor things to the old content, though not as much as Dawnguard did. If you´re afraid of stuff messing with your saves, you should definitely stop using mods (save for a few select ones)

At least in my experience, the mods can cause a lot more harm than the official addons- but I´ve only had funky stuff happen, nothing game breaking.

Buy it. Bethesda games have issues, you should know that if you have put 170 hours into Skyrim.

#8 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

@Capum15: That is good news! How many mods did you have installed for Skyrim since before installing Dragonborn and playing it?

@Superfriend: That's the point though, I have way too many mods that alter my game in too a radical way to just remove them for DLC. Sad, but I might have to choose the mods over Dragonborn.

#9 Posted by Superfriend (1585 posts) -

@OfficeGamer said:

@Capum15: That is good news! How many mods did you have installed for Skyrim since before installing Dragonborn and playing it?

@Superfriend: That's the point though, I have way too many mods that alter my game in too a radical way to just remove them for DLC. Sad, but I might have to choose the mods over Dragonborn.

I think you have misread my comment. The mods are more likely to cause you trouble in Skyrim in general. Especially a combination of certain mods. If you don´t experience any problems right now, fine.

I´m pretty sure Dragonborn doesn´t alter that many things about the core game. It probably won´t clash with balancing mods or something. If your game already runs fine, it will most likely continue to do so with Dragonborn installed.

#10 Edited by Capum15 (4996 posts) -
@OfficeGamer: 21 different mods not counting the various optional mod files (brings it up to 35) or the texture pack, Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLCs.

Better Dynamic Snow, like 5 various spell mods, Deadly Dragons (+optional files), two ambient sound mods, a water droplet mod, Wars In Skyrim (and a ton of optional stuff for it), a few that I can't remember what they do, a buildable house, Ultimate Follower Overhaul, two mods that make civilians flee from dragons and vampires instead of running to their deaths.

Honestly I can't really think of any mod that would make Dragonborn unplayable. I mean, it's brand new and is its' own package...it's bound to have specific things tied to it so it's as unobtrusive as possible...can you list what mods you have, or the ones that change your game the most? I'm thinking that mods just won't alter anything about Dragonborns' island until they get updated for it.

Edit: Basically, what @Superfriend: said. If your game works fine now, it would probably work just fine with Dragonborn.
#11 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

@Capum15: It's good to know that the Skyrim mods didn't damage Dragonborn for you and vice versa. Another question would be: do the mods only have effect in Skyrim and when you enter the Dragonborn island it flawlessly goes back to vanilla settings? In other words, does your Dragonborn have dynamic snow and deadly dragons etc.. or not?

Just to give you an idea of why I both fear for my mods and don't think I can play Dragonborn without them:

(67 mods)

#12 Posted by Forcen (1855 posts) -

@OfficeGamer: The expansion will show up in that list of data files so you can turn it off easily if you have any problems.

#13 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

I'm personally waiting for the dragon mount mod from vanilla to incorporate the new riding animations.

Or for someone to make a new dragon riding mod entirely to make them ridable.

#14 Edited by minorinya (179 posts) -

@Forcen said:

@OfficeGamer: The expansion will show up in that list of data files so you can turn it off easily if you have any problems.

I would recommend just buying it later, or doing what Forcen says. Maybe make a save file manually, keep it just in case, if you're going to actually play it immediately. Are you in that much of a rush to get it? Skyrim DLC has a history of messing up some versions of mods (not a bad thing, just what happens), though most popular mods are usually updated pretty quickly to accommodate unless they're really directly affected (follower AI mods, item enhancements/adjustments...).

#15 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4885 posts) -

@OfficeGamer said:

I love you.

#16 Edited by Capum15 (4996 posts) -
@OfficeGamer: Honestly, I don't really think any of those would negatively impact Dragonborn.

As for my mods...they...kind of work? Like, I can't remember which it is, but one of my mods gives various types of enemies. For instance, there are different looking Drauger that spawn, and I think one of them did (was a darker and glowing red-eyed one). As for the snow...I don't think that would work? I'm not too sure how dynamic it is, as it may only be in specific areas - if it was only for specific areas then it wouldn't take in Dragonborn.

I can't say anything about Deadly Dragons now as the more obvious parts of that mod (the dragons) haven't appeared, simply because I haven't left the first settlement yet.

Basically, what I think is going on is this - if something in Dragonborn uses vanilla game stuff, and a mod does as well, the mod will effect those in Dragonborn the same as they do in Vanilla. If not, then they simply don't appear / work. And possibly if a mod calls scripts (Deadly Dragons, for instance), they might work in Dragonborn as well.

I would definitely need to play more than the hour or so I did to answer better, but I think you'd be fine.

Edit: Also, going off of my experience with Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I had a shit load of mods for those games, and I was always able to play the DLCs just fine. Every now and then might be a slight graphical error, but nothing that made them unplayable.
#17 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

@Capum15: Really appreciate your answers man, thanks. I know I'm being picky but there's a lot at stake here :D

Downloading Dragonborn now, I hope after updating the mods they will appear and take effect in Dragonborn. Don't think I can play with the vanilla horse and graphics etc.. anymore!

#18 Edited by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

@OfficeGamer said:

@Capum15: Really appreciate your answers man, thanks. I know I'm being picky but there's a lot at stake here :D

Downloading Dragonborn now, I hope after updating the mods they will appear and take effect in Dragonborn. Don't think I can play with the vanilla horse and graphics etc.. anymore!

A mod either affects the game on a general level (something that changes the way skills work, for example) or a particular piece of the game in a very specific way (a texture replacement, for example). If a mod is like the former, it will show up in Dragonborn (Dawnguard or any expansion for that matter); if a mod is like the latter, it will only show up in Dragonborn if it was explicitly made for it. For example, if Dragonborn uses a texture from the main game and you replaced that texture with a mod, the mod will probably override said texture in both the main game and Dragonborn.

That being said, I think you're being too paranoid with that stuff. Addons for Bethesda games have always worked the same way, from Morrowind to Skyrim, including Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas: you install the DLC, you get a notice that the module has been activated (either by a courier or a radio signal or something like that), you go to that location and presto. You start the DLC. You can argue that Broken Steel was different, but then again, it has been the only DLC that directly continued the main story of a game after it had finished. So why would Skyrim be any different?

And taking a shit on the community after waiting FIFTEEN WHOLE FUCKING MINUTES? That's classy. I don't even know why I bothered answering your question.

#19 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: You're right, that was mean. It's just that this is my first RPG on PC and I find PC games a little intimidating. Typo up there, it's 17 hours not 170... Sorry about the comment and thanks for the help buddy :)

#20 Edited by Capum15 (4996 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

@OfficeGamer said:

A mod either affects the game on a general level (something that changes the way skills work, for example) or a particular piece of the game in a very specific way (a texture replacement, for example). If a mod is like the former, it will show up in Dragonborn (Dawnguard or any expansion for that matter); if a mod is like the latter, it will only show up in Dragonborn if it was explicitly made for it. For example, if Dragonborn uses a texture from the main game and you replaced that texture with a mod, the mod will probably override said texture in both the main game and Dragonborn.

Yes, this is what I was trying to get across in my rambling! Just couldn't manage to make it all concise for some reason.

@OfficeGamer said:

Yeah, mods can definitely alter the game for the better (FallOut Overhaul Kit was incredible in F3, and Project: Nevada for NV). I hope it all goes well for you, but it should be fine.
#21 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

@Capum15: @Superfriend: @JoeyRavn: @minorinya: @Tennmuerti: @Forcen:

Just FYI if you guys are interested, it works flawlessly. Most of the mods easily carried over into Dragonborn, like my mod items and armor, all the graphical enhancements, etc.. and some minor stuff didn't, such as chalk markings on the locks, better world map, and so on.

Dragonborn is very fucking exciting I might add.

#22 Posted by Capum15 (4996 posts) -
@OfficeGamer: Great to hear!
#23 Posted by HistoryInRust (6402 posts) -

@OfficeGamer: It's a great DLC, and I'm glad you've been able to enjoy it so far.

#24 Posted by fetchfox (1362 posts) -

@OfficeGamer: Good to hear it's working. Could you post your modlist? I came here to inquire about mod problems with Dragonborn, so seeing your particular load order could be beneficial.

#25 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

@OfficeGamer: Good to hear it's working. Could you post your modlist? I came here to inquire about mod problems with Dragonborn, so seeing your particular load order could be beneficial.

I posted two screenshots on the first page

#26 Edited by fetchfox (1362 posts) -

@OfficeGamer: Ah thanks, silly me. I think I'll dare to buy the DLC myself then. Hopefully there'll be no problems... hopefully.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.