Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

How does Skyrim for the PS3 hold up against the 360 version now?

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sthusby

Topic. I just need to know because I'm considering buying Skyrim through Games on Demand. Still feel like the PS3 version has sloppy framerate.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

Last time I played it on my ps3 it was completely fine for me. Although I don't have the Xbox version to compare it too. I guess if you had a choice with with Xbox since its been fine the whole time and gets dlc early. But I guess if you could, it's a no brainer to get the pc version

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Nubster

Overall, it's fine. The stuttering issues are greatly reduced and I haven't had one version or the other freeze too much on me, but the 360 is the safer bet. Also, PC if you can.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sthusby

Yeah, PC version if out of the question. I can't with good conscience buy a new rig when I'm on a student salary. The early DLC for the 360 version definitely makes it an attractive offer.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sthusby

@The_Nubster: I'm kinda worried that there'll be a completly new set of issues when the DLC launches for the Playstation 3.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mesoian

@sthusby said:

Topic. I just need to know because I'm considering buying Skyrim through Games on Demand. Still feel like the PS3 version has sloppy framerate.

Poorly. It's not as bad as it used to be, but the optimal console for Skyrim is still the 360

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By rachelepithet

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

On a side note, I just played through Dark Souls on the PS3 and experienced some serious framed-rate dips at times. I hear it's only pron to the PS3 version. Seems that Skyrim wasn't the only case of the PS3 version getting slightly gimped.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox
    @MrPilkington
    Dark Souls has an entire level or two that runs around 15fps on the 360. I don't think that game's an example of a comparatively poor PS3 port.
    Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@MrKlorox said:

@MrPilkington: Dark Souls has an entire level or two that runs around 15fps on the 360. I don't think that game's an example of a comparatively poor PS3 port.

Generally the game has some shitty framerates, but the people I personally know playing the game generally seem to have much better performance on the 360. But its not good on either console.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Zippedbinders

I guess the PS3 version is playable. I've had it since launch and I haven't had many issues, but it has gotten incredibly boring.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BPRJCTX

@MrPilkington said:

On a side note, I just played through Dark Souls on the PS3 and experienced some serious framed-rate dips at times. I hear it's only pron to the PS3 version. Seems that Skyrim wasn't the only case of the PS3 version getting slightly gimped.

Where have you been this wholle generation?

Anyway, 360, but why are you getting it on Games on Demand, you can buy the retail version, it's cheaper, and you can install it anyway, so, there's just no reason to use that service.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sthusby

@BPRJCTX said:

@MrPilkington said:

Anyway, 360, but why are you getting it on Games on Demand, you can buy the retail version, it's cheaper, and you can install it anyway, so, there's just no reason to use that service.

Because I live hours away from a decent games store. Anyway, it's not a big differnece, and I'd rather just have it right om my 360.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slaegar

Of the three versions the ps3 runs at the lowest framerate and looks the worst. Aside from being the worst version, its fine now.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By dichemstys

I've got it, and I haven't played the Xbox version but the PS3 version is patched up nice.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BPRJCTX

@sthusby said:

@BPRJCTX said:

@MrPilkington said:

Because I live hours away from a decent games store. Anyway, it's not a big differnece, and I'd rather just have it right om my 360.

Yeah, i guess convenience is a reason.

cclemon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cclemon36

@Slaegar said:

Of the three versions the ps3 runs at the lowest framerate and looks the worst. Aside from being the worst version, its fine now.

This made me laugh out loud, in a painful kind of way.

Spot on, painfully true, and funny. Thank you.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Humanity

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@MrKlorox said:

@MrPilkington: Dark Souls has an entire level or two that runs around 15fps on the 360. I don't think that game's an example of a comparatively poor PS3 port.

Generally the game has some shitty framerates, but the people I personally know playing the game generally seem to have much better performance on the 360. But its not good on either console.

Yah it's pretty shitty on both consoles which is strange because Demons Souls ran butter smooth almost the entire game apart from parts in Valley of Defilement and when using powerful fire spells. It's a shame they didn't optimize the engine better for the sequel as it did detract from the enjoyment somewhat. Also putting in another shitty toxic, swamp area with infinitely spawning enemies that you literally cannot hit with a spear type weapon because they didn't revamp the targetting either wasn't a great move but thats a whole different story.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Justin258

If you don't already have it at all, then just get the 360 version. It looks and runs better.

However, the PS3 version seems fine now. My brother's played it for something like 150 hours.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sthusby

Been looking at a few videos that compare graphics. Skyrim definitely looks smoother on the 360. Stuff like trees, rock formations and gravel all look way better. And the PS3 version has this disgusting glow to it. I'm gonna buy the 360 version, even though I already have it for the PS3. Case closed.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By N7

The fuck is going on in here? The PS3 version runs great now. It used to run so badly, literally to the point of being unplayable. However, with all of the patches and whatnot, I just saved my game a moment ago and I'm 55 hours in with none of the problems I had before. Framerate goes from 30 to about 20 sometimes, and I've only frozen once in the whole of 55 hours, which was my fault because I kept accidentally hitting the PS Button. 

I should note that in my first save at 55 hours, I was having a consistent framerate of about 10, dragons had NO textures, the game would crash every 20 minutes, and a bunch of other things. Now, not even a crash that wasn't my fault. The framerate hasn't been stuttering and everything has been very smooth.

I've somehow been playing for about six hours now and everything has ran smoothly. I've glitched my armor to be something like 400000000000 instead of 135 and my weapon does over a million damage.

My friend has all three versions of the game, and aside from the obvious fact that it's butter on PC, consoles are great and the PS3 has been fixed now.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By intro

I heard 360 is better, but I can't say for sure as I've never played PS3. I did have a time where Skyrim was freezing up so bad it was unplayable. I bought a PC since and it runs perfectly.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By nickux

@sthusby said:

Played it for 40 hours with only 1 freeze, never noticed the framerate. My guess is it's mostly good on PS3 now but I'm sure lots of others will say otherwise.

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Flawed_System

I would go with the Xbox 360 version.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sthusby

@N7: Well I've bought it now. After comparing both versions, there's just no denying that the 360 has the upper hand. The frame rate is steady at 30, with some screen tearing when a lot of stuff is going on. PS3 however has no tearing, but dips a whole lot in frame rate during hectic scenes. The PS3 version also has an awful looking glowing effect to objects and characters. On top of that the 360 has better draw distance for smaller objects, smoother shadows, and generally better looking textures. The 360 version is a little darker, which helps mask some of the unpleasent textures, but there's no denying that the textures on the PS3 are pretty poor compared to the 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@Humanity: You are referring to Blighttown with that last comment and I understand know why everyone hates that area. The area is very difficult and strangely designed, but it's length is harder to traverse, because the frame rate is so low. I swear, I believe it dropped to the single digets at times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.