How I made Skyrim a Completely Different Game, and You Can Too! Part One

• 76 results
#51 Posted by development (2355 posts) -

Glad you're not pimping Aesir's armor. Really not into the way that guy talks to people. Treats them like idiots. Plus, his mod is all kinds of fucked if you don't do everything exactly how he wants.

Also, I've been all over Nexus and never spotted Open Cities. I'm glad you brought that to my attention before I went and tried making my own version.

#52 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Glad you're not pimping Aesir's armor. Really not into the way that guy talks to people. Treats them like idiots. Plus, his mod is all kinds of fucked if you don't do everything exactly how he wants.

Also, I've been all over Nexus and never spotted Open Cities. I'm glad you brought that to my attention before I went and tried making my own version.

I'm not sure why it's not easier to find. I only found it because I knew of it back in the Oblivion days and wanted to see if it had been made for Skyrim so I did a search. Luckily that was before search was awful and sorted by most recent by default or I never would have found it in all likelihood.

#53 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@bane said:

You missed two essential tools: BOSS and Wrye Bash.

BOSS is designed to assist mod users in avoiding detrimental conflicts, by setting the correct load order for the plugins they have installed. BOSS also provides thousands of plugin-specific messages, including usage notes, Bash Tag suggestions, requirements, incompatibilities, bug warnings and installation mistake notifications.

What does Wrye Bash do? It makes it safe to try out new mods because it will restore everything to the way it was when you uninstall a mod. It makes more mods compatible with each other by importing information from different mods into a "bashed patch". It allows you to exceed the 255 mod threshold by automatically merging mods for you.

The Bashed Patch is absolutely critical. Any mods that alter the same thing, such as leveled lists, simply will not work correctly without it.

@chavtheworld What I do is make a backup copy of the vanilla Skyrim install. I copy/paste it to somewhere else on my hard drive. That way if you want to start over from scratch just nuke the Skyrim directory under Steam and copy the backup over. If all you want to do is remove a mod or two or three I've found Nexus Mod Manager does a fine job of uninstalling any mods it was used to install.

Wrye Bash is totally an essential, thank you for reminding me. I'll update the post with that :) I'll even give you credit for reminding me. That would have been messy. It's been so damn long since I installed the mods that this stuff matters with.

As for load order, I am a grouch and believe in doing things the right way just because I feel it's important to understand, and BOSS isn't perfect. If you end up with BOSS not making everything work right, you're going to have to do things manually. My way might be messy and all that, but it's working and I have an understanding of what works with what.

I may have to look up how to fix the Bashed Patch stuff because I remember struggling to find the way to get to the dialogue and all of this blog has pretty much obliterated recent memory.

#54 Posted by Bane (410 posts) -

@mordeaniischaos: You're welcome.

You're right, BOSS isn't perfect, but I use it as a starting point since it's a quick and simple way to get things mostly correct. I run it once, manually order unrecognized plugins, run it again, and then check it against my mod spreadsheet to make sure any critical load orders are correct.

#55 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Sorry guys, got caught up in stuff, I'll hopefully have the final part up tomorrow, around 2PM PST once again.

#56 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@bourbon_warrior: @tarsier: @atomic_dumpling: @sin4profit: @believer258: @darson: @giantstalker: @chavtheworld: @vman: @jouseldelka: @zeforgotten: @starvinggamer: @butler:

Okay, next part is up. All mods are now listed. Please ignore the horrible formatting: I fucking hate the giantbomb text editor, this is as good as I could really get it for the moment and this has all been a bit slower today than I hoped so I won't be putting up the install guide today. That'll be up tomorrow by 6PM PST, should be easy. I'll also put in a gallery and maybe some footage. Video may wait if I decide to do something a bit more "produced."

#57 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@mordeaniischaos: Sweet, thanks, time to go nuts with mods!
And yeah, the editor sucks. Especially if you messed up a post and want to edit the post -.-

#58 Posted by punkxblaze (2985 posts) -

Oh my god, thank you, I've been looking for a sort of definitive current mod list for a while now, and this seems to fit the bill. I'm gonna have to try this shit out later and have myself an adventure.

#59 Posted by Darson (451 posts) -

Insane. I always felt cloaks should have been implemented in the final game. I actually don't have Skyrim (PC) at the moment because I haven't found many game-changing mods to differentiate the 360 and PC version. I think that's changed.

#60 Edited by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

Nice blog. I already use a lot of these but you've opened my eyes to some new ones so thanks. I think I prefer "Requiem" to "SkyRE" since it's altogether more challenging. Although I think the latter perhaps adds more to the game.

#61 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

Oh my god, thank you, I've been looking for a sort of definitive current mod list for a while now, and this seems to fit the bill. I'm gonna have to try this shit out later and have myself an adventure.

Glad I could help! I'll probably be expanding on this, because even as I was doing this blog, especially linking the author pages, I was finding new stuff I didn't have yet. So definitive might be a strong word but it's definitely a strong start :p

@darson said:

Insane. I always felt cloaks should have been implemented in the final game. I actually don't have Skyrim (PC) at the moment because I haven't found many game-changing mods to differentiate the 360 and PC version. I think that's changed.

Yeah, cloaks change how the entire game feels. Any time you're in a snowy area, everyone's got them on, and it's awesome. And it makes the guards stand out a bit more, which I like.

@jaycee13 said:

Nice blog. I already use a lot of these but you've opened my eyes to some new ones so thanks. I think I prefer "Requiem" to "SkyRE" since it's altogether more challenging. Although I think the latter perhaps adds more to the game.

There are definitely other options. But I'm not looking to make the game more "challenging." If anything, I'm trying to balance it out a bit. And SkyRE certainly doesn't make things easy. But I already play on Master or whatever, and that was usually pretty good for me, other than when I was melted by a mage. I want the game to be interesting, not necessarily difficult. Plus, it's a lot harder to survive when you're crippled by disease, hungry, and can't see because it's pitch dark.

#62 Edited by kerse (2114 posts) -

this is pretty amazing, the survival stuff specifically sounds like fun

I was pretty disappointed there was no survival mode, especially since there was one in new vegas which I enjoyed, especially with the amount of kinda pointless food items in the game

#63 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5525 posts) -

I've played too much Skyrim as it is, but it's fascinating to me that through collective modding you can change a game so drastically.

#64 Posted by TheHT (11300 posts) -

Favourited. Thanks for this!

One day Skyrim, one day.

#65 Edited by Bollard (5567 posts) -

Finally got round to giving this list a go, but got a crash on startup. Probably should have checked the game still ran after each new mod instead of going for 10 at once ahahah.

Ah, it would be because I got the version of SkyRe which requires the DLC. Dangit.

#66 Edited by Bollard (5567 posts) -

@mordeaniischaos: I'm a little confused about the realistic needs mod - particularly with food. Most food I eat has no effect on my hunger stat, is this normal? Like if I ate bread or something I would not get any less hungry. Are there only certain things you can eat to decrease hunger?

It kinda sucks blindly eating everything in my inventory till I find something that actually fills my character up.

#67 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I used you like a whore on Saturday. But we repented on Sunday. Play the games until they don't play.

#68 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -

Is there meant to be stuff when you click on the spoiler tags in the main post? Nothing appears for me

#69 Posted by Bollard (5567 posts) -

@pie: There's another spoiler tag inside the spoiler tag which has the content, at least for me. I've seen that happening on a lot of blogs recently, double spoiler tags. Dunno if it's a bug.

#70 Edited by Pie (7099 posts) -
#71 Posted by Soap (3592 posts) -

Looks like I've been using mods all wrong! Are these all/mostly on workshop? (any chance of a collection? :D)

#72 Edited by Pie (7099 posts) -

Argh. Eveything seems to be working but it crashes to desktop when I go to jail or when I pay my bounty. Anyone know anything about that?

Hmm. Seems to be a problem with skyRE

#73 Posted by LucidFir (1 posts) -

I cannae get this to work. Anyone have an idiots guide? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall? Used Nexus for it all.

#74 Edited by SunBroZak (1118 posts) -

@lucidfir said:

I cannae get this to work. Anyone have an idiots guide? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall? Used Nexus for it all.

I'd recommend looking up Gopher. He has in-depth tutorials on just about everything. It's possible your load order is wrong, so consider looking up the program called BOSS.

#75 Posted by geirr (2576 posts) -

If I manage to clean my Skyrim install of the hodgepodge of mods and BOSS and whatnot I've inflicted upon it - I might give this a go over the holidays.

#76 Posted by leohere2001 (1 posts) -

I know this is an old project (read it a while ago), however, I keep thinking back to this mod suggestgion and wonder if it could be converted to a "Hunger Games style" mod.... Is there anyway to make it multiplayer?? Is there anyway to restrict movement to a certain area?? Is it possible to have slow moving 'hunger' bars and slow 'poison' bars similar to the 'breathe' bars shown when swimming?? weapons could be restricted, backpacks could be left out for people to find (or chests with random goodies).... first aid kits for being ill or injured, water sources, hunting realism..... the possibilities are endless, but is it possible? I don't know....

#77 Edited by Aerobie (104 posts) -

I tried to give Skyrim another go, but after spending hours putting together all of the mods I wanted, it just crashed at launch, so I figured I would just wipe everything and stick with the basics. I wish there was an easier way to figure all the mod stuff out, I probably have dozens of mods just taking up space, and they're probably not helping trying to get it to run right. I wish there was a way to clear out EVERYTHING without having to redownload the entire game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.