Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

How will my laptop play Skyrim?

bbot23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bbot23

Until today I was going to get Skyrim on my 360 but then I realized my laptop isn't ageing as fast as I initially thought. I bought it over a year ago to be able to play some games on the fly, but never really played anything other than MW2 and Oblivion. How do you guys think it will handle Skyrim? And if it handles it well, should I get it on my 360 instead because I can't output 1080p on my laptop? Here are the specs:

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series (max resolution is 1600 x 900; can you overclock resolutions to display 1080p??)

8 GB of RAM

Intel core i7, Q 720 @ 1.6 ghz

64-bit WIndows 7

Also, can anyone tell me how to connect a wireless 360 controller to a laptop? I'm guessing I need some kind of receiver/adapter.

Thanks a bunch guys, first post too!

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Floppypants

The 360 version definitely doesn't run at 1080p.
    Your laptop should be able to run the game fine at 1600x900.  You can't "overclock" your monitor to display 1080p.  You might be able to connect your laptop to your TV and use it as a monitor.
    To use a wireless 360 controller, you need to sync it to a wireless gaming receiver.I simply use a wired, USB controller since I'm sitting next to my PC anyway and not across a family room.  It saves me the trouble of recharging batteries and it's lighter.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Th3_James

Should be able to run it. I can run oblivion and fallout 3 on my i3 laptop with a 5450 mobility radeon and 4gb of ddr3. So I am pretty sure you will be able to run it fine.

My desktop is what I normally play games on, but I just wanted to see the performance on my laptop.

Also you cannot overclock a display, but you can have your laptop output higher resolutions to an external display.

Robinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Robinson

I'm gonna guess an Asus g73. You could possibly hook it up to a 1080p screen and it would work, but your performance will take a big hit. Keep to 1600 by 900. be sure when you play to keep your laptop well ventilated, no sense in burning it up

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Codeacious

@Robinson said:

I'm gonna guess an Asus g73. You could possibly hook it up to a 1080p screen and it would work, but your performance will take a big hit. Keep to 1600 by 900. be sure when you play to keep your laptop well ventilated, no sense in burning it up

Yep, it's a G73JH; I have one with the same specs (but a 1080p screen, he has the Best Buy model).

You should be fine at 1080i. I run BF3 at 1080p on all high (not ultra) just fine, and am expecting to at least get that much out of Skyrim (provided ATI's drivers don't throttle performance).

bbot23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bbot23

Yup, it's a G73JH from bestbuy.

Thanks for the answers, but do you guys think I should go for the pc version or the 360 version of Skyrim, knowing all of the above? I guess it makes very little difference if I play them both on a TV.

Robinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Robinson

Im having a tough time making that Pc/360 choice myself. id go Pc because then you can use the mods that will come later, and beter bug fixes. Of course no acheivement points i guess...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.