Howto: create your own Skyrim harem, aka a house full of ladies

#1 Posted by Raidy (21 posts) -

Howto: create your own Skyrim harem, aka a house full of ladies

After observing the various game mechanics, I pondered if I could get 3 gals to live with me at once. So I tried out the theory, and it worked. See below for the technique I used:

step 1: decide where you want to live and who you want to be your housecarl. I chose Whiterun because a) I enjoy the city's ambiance as well as the location/convenience, and b) Lydia is, after all, sworn to carry my burdens.

step 2: decide who you want to be your wife. My choice was Jordis from Solitude because she is both pretty to look at and has what seems to be the nicest/most pleasant attitude of all the NPCs in Skyrim.

step 3: decide on your follower. I went with Aela because like Jordis, she's nice to look at (and as a bonus will equip forsworn armor), and does not have aggravating dialog. Plus she's just up the path to re-acquire if I change followers. And of course she also trains you in archery for free, saving you nearly 10K if you hammer thru the sessions when avail.

step 4: get married, do the dialog to have your wife move to the house you picked in step 1. wait 48 hrs and she'll appear in the house along with your housecarl, and if you enter with your follower, you now have 3 ladies to kick it with.

note: You can always swap followers at any time of course, including to your wife or housecarl, but the only way to get all 3 in the house at once is obviously to choose one that is neither of those.

note: if you are quick changing followers in the house, you can get all 3 to equip almost whatever gear you want - but as soon as you leave the house and return, your housecarl and wife will both put the better gear into their inventories rather than equip it.

here's a screenshot of mine:

#2 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -
#3 Posted by Lord_Rahl (36 posts) -

Eh... not really all that exciting. I'm sure everyone has already realized this. But I have one uped ya or you could even consider it as 10 uped ya. I have the three women and seven more in my basement at my house in solitude by using the dead thrall spell. I can even have two followers with me at any given time. My "living dead girl" as you could call her can even carry unlimited weight when I stuff it in her dead body then reanimate her. lol I'm not really trying to be sick with the dead girls in my basement. I have dead guys too. I basically add anyone to my collection of dead followers that I found difficult to kill. I have a Master Necromancer as a dead follower that killed me three times before I finally killed him and reanimated him as my zombie slave permanantly. He kills just about anything in one or two hits.

#4 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

You're just furthering the stereotype amigo.

#5 Posted by BasketSnake (1293 posts) -

Nice one Raidy. I just think the companions are in my way. I've been having fun throwing frenzy at people just to watch guards cut them down. Then I loot them. It was hilarious when I threw frenzy on that nurse in the temple of kynareth in Whiterun and she started stabbing the wounded instead. Guards came in and killed her and then left.

#6 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Raidy said:

here's a screenshot of mine:

Can taking a photograph of your television really be called a "screenshot?"

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -
#8 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

That's one frightening picture, especially if that whole thing about menstrual cycles syncing up is true.

#9 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

I haven't been able to find my wife since we got married hah Maybe she's still in Riften.

#10 Posted by Raineko (431 posts) -

Wait ... you had a lesbian marriage?

#11 Posted by LocoRocker (218 posts) -

@McGhee said:

That's one frightening picture, especially if that whole thing about menstrual cycles syncing up is true.

hahaha, oh my!

#12 Posted by Aas (604 posts) -

Can I do the same, but with dudes?

#13 Posted by RVonE (4704 posts) -

@Aas said:

I don't think there is a dude housecarl, so no.

Then again, this isn't that exciting. It's just a regular marriage + having someone follow you into your house.

#14 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@coakroach said:
Brilliant!
#15 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2133 posts) -

@RVonE said:

@Aas said:

Then again, this isn't that exciting. It's just a regular marriage + having someone follow you into your house.

Markarth Housecarl is a dude. So for anyone who wants to go this dark road, become a thane of Markarth.

#16 Posted by RVonE (4704 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician: Ah, you're right of course. I don't like that guy so fuck that guy.

#17 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

@Raidy said:

"Lydia is, after all, sworn to carry my burdens."

That one line she spouts, particularly the way she says it, is why I won't ever use Lydia unless it's to lead her into a hostile Giant camp.

#18 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

@RVonE said:

@Aas said:

I haven't played the game but WHAT?!

It's housecarl, "Karl" is right there in the name (Karl being an old norse word meaning "free man" or just "man") Heck, we still use it today, even if it's considered, how should I put it, old people speak?

Inb4 edit: Ok so there is at least one. Still!

#19 Posted by fisk0 (4522 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

@RVonE said:

@Aas said:

It's housecarl, "Karl" is right there in the name (Karl being an old norse word meaning "free man" or just "man") Heck, we still use it today, even if it's considered, how should I put it, old people speak?

Yeah, foreign takes on Scandinavian culture gets kind of weird when you know what the actual words mean. :)

I'm mostly annoyed that my housecarls won't play any instruments I give them though, as one of the roles of old Nordic huskarlar other than the role as a fighter was to be a bard or poet, and since they already have bards and instruments in the game, it's odd that they didn't add that feature to the housecarls.

#20 Posted by RVonE (4704 posts) -

@fisk0: That would actually be very cool; it'd be nice to have my home be filled with some music by my housedude--who is a lady.

#21 Posted by theguy (797 posts) -

But.... But why?

#22 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

First thing I did when I got Lydia to my house was try to take her armor. I couldn't. So I killed her for it. Then I pawned her armor and got a fun little surprise about an inheritance that made me laugh.

Only problem is you can't pick up a dead body, so Lydia's just lying naked on the floor in the bedroom. Kind of a bummer. I wish dead bodies would equip armor, or if I could have somehow killed her on the bed so I could just pretend she's sleeping...you'd think my housecarl would have had the courtesy to die somewhere more tasteful than the middle of the floor for crying out loud. She stinketh like the rotting meat that came with my furniture.

#23 Posted by Lord_Rahl (36 posts) -

You can move dead bodies. You hold the action button on their corspe then proceed to move them. You can just grab certain limbs also, like move them by thier arms or legs, torso or head. You can also use a master conjuration spell called dead thrall to permanently reanimate anyone (humaniod) that can be killed.

#24 Posted by Musou (385 posts) -

@coakroach said:

You just won the internet

#25 Posted by JoeyRavn (4986 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@RockmanBionics said:

@RVonE said:

@Aas said:

Yeah, foreign takes on Scandinavian culture gets kind of weird when you know what the actual words mean. :)

I'm mostly annoyed that my housecarls won't play any instruments I give them though, as one of the roles of old Nordic huskarlar other than the role as a fighter was to be a bard or poet, and since they already have bards and instruments in the game, it's odd that they didn't add that feature to the housecarls.

Also, thane. I'm so fucking tired of hearing on the Internet "I AM THE THANE OF WHITERUN". No, you're not, dickwit. "Thegn" (or "thane") wasn't a rank in the nobility, like a count or an earl. The thegn in Germanic culture where the warrior class that financially depended on a lord. Basically, extrapolating to a few centuries afterwards, thanes were vassals.

#26 Posted by RVonE (4704 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: Of course, but I am not sure Bethesda intended to use those words exactly like they have been used in actual history; it is a fantasy RPG after all.

#27 Posted by BrianP (503 posts) -

WCFRP

#28 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (506 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: Dude, it's a video game. Fictional. Thane can mean anything the developer wants it to in the game's fiction.

#29 Posted by stevenisadweeb (1 posts) -

Real-world meaning

In Medieval Scandinavia, the housecarls (húskarl) were personal male servants of Scandinavian Jarls and Kings, their roles encompassed many aspects, including personal advisers, military troops and servants. The word housecarl is a direct translation of the Nordic word húskarl (House man). The term was also used in Anglo-Saxon England, the Housecarls were not just bodyguards but the Elite fighters and leaders of the Earl's armies."\

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Housecarl

#30 Posted by CaLe (4058 posts) -

Why do they have clothes on?

#31 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

This thread has a ton of views. You perverts.

(on top of that it didn't tell me anything I hadn't already done on my own, anyway...)

(not that living with a bunch of ladies was a goal of mine or anything, it just kinda happened)

(don't judge me)

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (15187 posts) -

Well guys at least he didn't kill them all and pose their decapitated naked bodies like that one guy did.

#33 Posted by BulimicBalzac (93 posts) -

"Harem? Hell I didn't even know em!" Bradly G.T. Shoemaker during his anti-vegan fries speech in downtown Los Dos Equis.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.