Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

I have a strange vision for a Bethesda type RPG.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By kingzetta

This will sound completely insane, but this game would not have really any adventure. I want to play Bethesda type RPG where you are just a normal dude. Actually more accurately I want a game that fulfills the promises Peter molyneux made about Fable 2. Remember When he said the reason that quests rewarded no money, was you have to get a job like a normal person. He said you could be a blacksmith and become this world famous blacksmith. If they could actually make it work, I think this is an amazing idea. Not just blacksmith, but you could be a merchant, a farmer, politician, or a guard. 

How awesome would it be to be a guard. You got these damn heroes coming into your town messing stuff up, and you gotta deal with them.  I would love a much smaller scale game. maybe it takes place entirely in just one of the 9 holds of Skyrim. What I am suggesting is Bethesda essentially makes a Harvest Moon type game.  If it only took place in one of the 9 holds, that would make all the NPCs much deeper. Taking more things from harvest moon, you would have to sleep every night  and time would actually pass. I think it would be a very interesting game. I have the feeling that no one but me would find "Life as an NPC the game" interesting at all.

It's kinda like what Dave said on yesterday's bombcast. "I don't want to be the Jedi. I want to be the support/side character." We've played the Hero's story a zillion times. I want a more personal story to play about the farmer that protects his land from bandits, or the crooked merchant that has deals with the thieves guild. it's Seinfeld the game, it's a game about nothing.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kingzetta

This will sound completely insane, but this game would not have really any adventure. I want to play Bethesda type RPG where you are just a normal dude. Actually more accurately I want a game that fulfills the promises Peter molyneux made about Fable 2. Remember When he said the reason that quests rewarded no money, was you have to get a job like a normal person. He said you could be a blacksmith and become this world famous blacksmith. If they could actually make it work, I think this is an amazing idea. Not just blacksmith, but you could be a merchant, a farmer, politician, or a guard. 

How awesome would it be to be a guard. You got these damn heroes coming into your town messing stuff up, and you gotta deal with them.  I would love a much smaller scale game. maybe it takes place entirely in just one of the 9 holds of Skyrim. What I am suggesting is Bethesda essentially makes a Harvest Moon type game.  If it only took place in one of the 9 holds, that would make all the NPCs much deeper. Taking more things from harvest moon, you would have to sleep every night  and time would actually pass. I think it would be a very interesting game. I have the feeling that no one but me would find "Life as an NPC the game" interesting at all.

It's kinda like what Dave said on yesterday's bombcast. "I don't want to be the Jedi. I want to be the support/side character." We've played the Hero's story a zillion times. I want a more personal story to play about the farmer that protects his land from bandits, or the crooked merchant that has deals with the thieves guild. it's Seinfeld the game, it's a game about nothing.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShadowConqueror

That doesn't sound like something I would play.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kingzetta
    @ShadowConqueror said:

That doesn't sound like something I would play.

That does not surprise me. It takes a certain type of insanity, that does not want to be the big world saving hero for once.
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I see what you mean....  I can see how this could work

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I would be down for a "Stop right there, criminal scum!" button.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kingzetta
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

I see what you mean....  I can see how this could work

Like instead of the dark brotherhood questline, you would have the blacksmith questline. 
    You start as a trainee and in actual in-game years you become the best blacksmith in all of skyrim.  There would be interesting things that would happen, like beating rival blacksmiths and stuff like that. For some reason being a normal guy in any RPG setting, seems interesting.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kingzetta
    @PeasantAbuse said:

I would be down for a "Stop right there, criminal scum!" button.

also "hey your the greyfox." and "Hey stop the shouting, your making people nervous" button.
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By VisariLoyalist

what you're trying to make is second life and noone wants that

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By McGhee

I already have a shitty job in real life. What in your game would make having a shitty job fun?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kingzetta
    @VisariLoyalist said:

what you're trying to make is second life and noone wants that

no what I'm making is basically harvest moon
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ninjakiller

@McGhee said:

I already have a shitty job in real life. What in your game would make having a shitty job fun?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingzetta
    @McGhee said:

@ninjakiller said:

@McGhee said:

it takes place in Skyrim. even tho your just a normal dude, there are still dragons and mages and craziness happening around you.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McGhee

@kingzetta said:

@McGhee said:

@ninjakiller said:

@McGhee said:

it takes place in Skyrim. even tho your just a normal dude, there are still dragons and mages and craziness happening around you.

I understand not being some kind of super hero in a game. It would be interesting if you played just a common soldier in the army, no special destiny or magical powers. As a normal soldier you would just be another guy fighting in a battle of hundreds, doing small things and rising through the ranks over time. An interesting story could be built. But just being a shop keeper and looking out the window and seeing the dragon and having nothing to do with it?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MezZa

@McGhee said:

@kingzetta said:

@McGhee said:

@ninjakiller said:

@McGhee said:

I understand not being some kind of super hero in a game. It would be interesting if you played just a common soldier in the army, no special destiny or magical powers. As a normal soldier you would just be another guy fighting in a battle of hundreds, doing small things and rising through the ranks over time. An interesting story could be built. But just being a shop keeper and looking out the window and seeing the dragon and having nothing to do with it?

You could buy the parts of the dragon from the guy who had something to do with it for a cheap price. Then demand 5x as much gold for him to buy it back.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Brendan

@kingzetta said:

@McGhee said:

@ninjakiller said:

@McGhee said:

You are never a "normal" dude in a video game. Even if you were a farmer, by the end of the storyline you would be doing something crazy, like somehow fending off a dragon from destroying your crops, or becoming the Skyrim version of Monsanto, or something.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kingzetta
    @Brendan said:

@kingzetta said:

@McGhee said:

@ninjakiller said:

@McGhee said:

You are never a "normal" dude in a video game. Even if you were a farmer, by the end of the storyline you would be doing something crazy, like somehow fending off a dragon from destroying your crops, or becoming the Skyrim version of Monsanto, or something.

I suppose so, that would actually be the interesting thing.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kingzetta
    @MentalDisruption said:

@McGhee said:

@kingzetta said:

@McGhee said:

@ninjakiller said:

@McGhee said:

You could buy the parts of the dragon from the guy who had something to do with it for a cheap price. Then demand 5x as much gold for him to buy it back.

and sell the gear to the guy that took down the dragon. Maybe you hire the Dark brotherhood to rub out the competition, thus making you the only game in town. Or you could a quest-giver for once.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ninjakiller

@kingzetta said:

@MentalDisruption said:

@McGhee said:

@kingzetta said:

@McGhee said:

@ninjakiller said:

@McGhee said:

and sell the gear to the guy that took down the dragon. Maybe you hire the Dark brotherhood to rub out the competition, thus making you the only game in town. Or you could a quest-giver for once.

Let's not forget fun minigames like: "lowball the customer" "inventory time" "quarterly tax statements" and "take estimates for shop expansion!"

No Caption Provided
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By McGhee

@ninjakiller said:

@kingzetta said:

@MentalDisruption said:

@McGhee said:

@kingzetta said:

@McGhee said:

@ninjakiller said:

@McGhee said:

Let's not forget fun minigames like: "lowball the customer" "inventory time" "quarterly tax statements" and "take estimates for shop expansion!"

No Caption Provided

I forgot to mention that this basically has been done before with /recettear-an-item-shops-tale/61-32155/ which I hear is a good game. Even in that game, though, you do go into the dungeons with the heroes, your main character is just not the one doing all the fighting. This kind of game can be done, I just don't know if it fits the Bethesda play style, but I could be wrong. :P

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

It would work, and it would be refreshing, but it wouldn't be a Bethesda game. Give that idea to an indie developer.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mikey87144

Your pitch sounds like the opposite of fun. If some other indie studio wants to make this weird game that caters to weirdos who want to do real life tasks in real time in a game then great. Bethesda though should just keep doing what they're doing.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By viking_funeral

Sounds a lot like what Ultima Online once was. Or what Eve Online currrently is.

The only difference I see is that it would be a Bethesda game, a.k.a. FPRPG.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Marz

sounds like my time in FFXI, though it was more of a reputation because the crafting grind was so hard that there were people who were at the top and you knew them by name and had them craft all your good items for a premium... thus they had gained fame on a server basis for being one of the most reliable crafters in the game. But guess your talking more single player.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By GS_Dan

@kingzetta: I used to want this for Star Wars. Then George Lucas happened.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By david3cm

@kingzetta said:

it's Seinfeld the game, it's a game about nothing.

Someone already beat you to this idea, a lot of games now a days are about nothing. But I think personally I would enjoy a game like this, I spend most of my time in Skyrim doing mundane tasks like hunting, crafting, mining, ect.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Dingofighter

I feel like this could be a pretty interesting mod for the game. 

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Insectecutor

Sounds like what you're asking for isn't much more than recognition. For instance, I'm already by far the best blacksmith in Skyrim, I've yet to meet my better, but nobody's rushing up to buy my wares. I have to go door-to-door like a fucking tupperware salesman trying to force it on weaker smiths who don't have the coin to buy my art.

All it would take is for that radiant quest system to spawn me up a fanboy. There should be someone other than me who has a use for this junk.

As for being a guard, I can't see that being much fun unless the game is entirely focused on it. Most of the time guards just guard stuff and that sounds pretty boring.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kingzetta
    @Insectecutor said:

Sounds like what you're asking for isn't much more than recognition. For instance, I'm already by far the best blacksmith in Skyrim, I've yet to meet my better, but nobody's rushing up to buy my wares. I have to go door-to-door like a fucking tupperware salesman trying to force it on weaker smiths who don't have the coin to buy my art.

All it would take is for that radiant quest system to spawn me up a fanboy. There should be someone other than me who has a use for this junk.

As for being a guard, I can't see that being much fun unless the game is entirely focused on it. Most of the time guards just guard stuff and that sounds pretty boring.

Yes I suppose if you could just open a blacksmith shop and have that fanboy stand behind the counter. that would be ok. 

For the guard stuff I was thinking, instead of the one of the guilds questline you'd have the guard questline. you patrol, stop robbers, defend the town from bandits, solve a murder, be a dick to the hero. Then you become guard captain and you can choose to be a good cop or a dirty cop. You can make your town the shining beacon of justice or the most corrupt place in the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.