I love the inventory screen!

#1 Posted by Lozz (311 posts) -

At first I didn't really get the new hud as it kind of made no sense at the time, but now I've seen the inventory screen and skills menu I think it looks amazing. Glad that you can have a high fantasy rpg with such a modern feel to the menus. Your thoughts?

#2 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

What does it look like? My imagination is too small.

#3 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I like that you "look up to the heavens" to see your skills.

#4 Posted by Moonshadow101 (575 posts) -

I have no particular opinion about the scrolling lists, but the display of the item that you can look at and rotate is really cool.

#5 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

It definitely has a better imagination than Oblivion's menus, speaking as someone who dreads playing Oblivion.

#6 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -

I think the minimalistic (inspired by Apple products) looks great. Not to mention that it looks functionally good. From what I hear, the PC and consoles will have different interfaces but I'm not sure if it's just aesthetic or functional. It'll still look very similar though.

#7 Edited by Mikemcn (7023 posts) -

It seems clunkier than it needs to be, I guess I need to try it out to know for sure. I feel like they'd be a pain to scroll with the game generating a 3D model of Every single item. Then again I loved both Fallout and Oblivion's inventorys, so i'm not very picky.

#8 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

it's alot cleaner than the one in oblivion.   Seems like like the Start menu in windows in terms of ease of use.

#9 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:

I think the minimalistic (inspired by Apple products) looks great. Not to mention that it looks functionally good. From what I hear, the PC and consoles will have different interfaces but I'm not sure if it's just aesthetic or functional. It'll still look very similar though.

I really hope you're right...!
Speaking strictly in terms of mouse usage, the inventory version they've been showing so far is apparently nothing more than a needless scrolling-up-and-down-fest, which is really bad if you want to quick access an item-- from the looks of the demo, I feel like I might end up having to pause the game a LOT in order to swap weapons and spells, which is something I really hate doing in games (it helps breaking the sense of immersion for me).
Of course this simple problem could quickly be solved with the introduction of a quickbar and/or some hotkeys on the PC version. But for some reason I'm not keeping my hopes high...
#10 Posted by MightyDuck (1524 posts) -

It seemed pretty neat. I also like how you can rotate objects or items to look them over ala the original Resident Evil.

#11 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Someone should post an image

#12 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan: Here's a video. Also, the uploader comment might interest a lot of you that apparently hate convenience.

#13 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

It is definitely easy on the eyes and above and beyond what oblivion's UI was. Id like to know a little more specifics about the "favoriting" items. I thought I saw in the full demo the character switch spells on one hand without bringing up any sort of menu. Maybe it is just a glorified hotkey or maybe there is something new going on. Have to wait and see I guess.

#14 Posted by Beforet (2934 posts) -

I still prefer Morrowind's

#15 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

so long as I dont have to scroll though all my keys to get to my soul gems.

#16 Posted by onarum (2304 posts) -

I don't like it at all, it doesn't blend well with the game, it looks like a dev debug ui.

#17 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

@FancySoapsMan: Here's a video. Also, the uploader comment might interest a lot of you that apparently hate convenience.

When the "Horker Meat" appeared, I mistakenly read "Hooker Meat".

#18 Posted by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

Just like the interface in the Fable games, it sounds really good on paper, but it can very easily fall apart if it isn't functional enough when you're actually playing the game.

Hopefully they will have got it right, and eliminated the frustrating parts.

#19 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

I'm not trying to troll here but I followed a link from that previously posted vid and and well...

#20 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -

I like it. it doesn't look like debug UI; it looks like I might be holding the objects in my hand. It would be cool if your hands were showing but that might get bloody with swords being rotated in every direction.

#21 Posted by Fjordson (2433 posts) -

Everyone about the UI and menu screens looks really, really good to me.

One thing to keep in mind with the demo footage we've seen so far is that the person playing is always doing so with the intent of showing off a lot of different weapons and a lot of different spells, all within a relatively short period of time. I don't think you'll be in the menus nearly as often when you're playing the final game on your own.

#22 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I like it a ton as well.

#23 Posted by selbie (1969 posts) -

I had to tunnel 3 miles underground to retrieve my jaw after seeing the skills menu during QuakeCon. It's full of stars!

#24 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -
  • doesn't mesh with the fantasy feel of the game imo
  • using an ingame model in a menu? gimmick, a cool gimmick i'll admit
  • so now instead of being able to see ALL my items at a glance (with a very simple pc UI mod even huge inventory's) now we have to first select a category and then scroll through poorly (ie alphabetically) sorted items? no thanks
#25 Edited by Hobbies (976 posts) -

If what we've seen is the final product (or close to it), then I hate it. The ONLY thing I like is the 3D item examination. I'll continue Tennmuerti's list from above:

• I can no longer see my character model in the inventory screen, therefore can't see what he looks like with whatever I have equipped without exiting the menus and switching to third person
  • in order to see the stats for each item you must first have the cursor hovered over it, so you can't quickly compare items anymore, which is especially important for choose the best equipment in your inventory and managing your encumbrance (this is THE worst thing about the new UI)
  • you can't see nearly as much items while scrolling through them
  • everything is much too scattered around the screen, I would much prefer a more condensed menu
  • and I'm going to reiterate Tennmuerti's first point because I think this attempted blend of modern and fantasy is awful

I'm torn between the new UI (and I mean ALL aspects, from the HUD to the map to the inventory screen, etc.) and the removal of item degradation as the worst things about Skyrim [so far] (and that all Argonians apparently have spike beards, but at least that doesn't affect gameplay).

#26 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I want to see the PC UI, if it still uses that pad friendly interface for mouse + keyboard I think I'll just drag PC version over to my TV and use a 360 pad instead.

I don't like the look of the amount of menu hopping you have to do on pad so far, hoping PC has some good hotkey options.

#27 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

I thought it actually looked pretty bad. There isn't a good quick-select by item-type sort of thing, so if I want to look at just axes I still have to scroll through a huge list of stuff. There may be an option that they didn't show, but if that's missin, then it's really inconvenient. They're just getting really self-congratulatory about having their fully-modeled images on the side. Which is neat LOOKING, I will definitely admit.

#28 Posted by Z3RO180 (230 posts) -

i like how the map is basicly a top down look on the entite world map and also the inventory is really cool to.

#29 Posted by Irvandus (2899 posts) -

I love the look of it.

#30 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

It's pretty good, but the PC version of Morrowind still has the best menu system in the entire series.

#31 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

I really love how you can look at every item in visual detail. The part where they solved a (pretty simple) puzzle by viewing the item in the Inventory menu was so cool.

#32 Posted by Grilledcheez (3958 posts) -

@EvilTwin said:

I like that you "look up to the heavens" to see your skills.

THIS ^^^

#33 Posted by JP_Russell (1174 posts) -

I don't really mind its aesthetics. But I have to agree with other sentiments in here that not being able to see items stats without specifically selecting them is highly problematic. And yeah, I don't think the actual layout of the interface and how many selections you can see listed on-screen at a time is optimized well for a mouse and keyboard at all.

Also, while the whole "looking to the heavens" aspect of the skill screen is neat from an artistic standpoint, it's not presented in the most easily functional manner. I already know from Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 that that kind of scrolling-arc menu is dissatisfying to navigate. The amount of time it takes to get to different selections outweighs any stylistic appeal pretty quickly, and it just becomes the typical, indulgent-artist-handling-mechanical-things kind of obtuse UI to use.

#34 Posted by sreya92 (193 posts) -

It's a little plain to me. I like it, I just wish that it was a little more medieval themed. I'm just excited that it'll scroll back to the bottom if you go all the way up the top and hit up on the joystick

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.