I made a Skyrim Monopoly Board

Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

I wanted to do something cool for my friend for this birthday. He's a huge fan of Skyrim so I decided to make him a Skyrim Monopoly Board. Let me tell you, this thing was way harder then I thought. My friend's birthday was over a month ago I am just giving it to him now (Other things got in the way as well). He didn't care though, he loves it. I'm not even done yet, I still have the property cards and player pieces to make.

Anyways I figured you guys might be interested in checking it out. Let me know what you think. Also sorry, I kept this short because I'm rather tired at the moment. If anyone is interested in details about this though I'd be glad to answer.

And now, pictures!

This is about a 1/4 the size of the actual image used.
#1 Edited by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

I wanted to do something cool for my friend for this birthday. He's a huge fan of Skyrim so I decided to make him a Skyrim Monopoly Board. Let me tell you, this thing was way harder then I thought. My friend's birthday was over a month ago I am just giving it to him now (Other things got in the way as well). He didn't care though, he loves it. I'm not even done yet, I still have the property cards and player pieces to make.

Anyways I figured you guys might be interested in checking it out. Let me know what you think. Also sorry, I kept this short because I'm rather tired at the moment. If anyone is interested in details about this though I'd be glad to answer.

And now, pictures!

This is about a 1/4 the size of the actual image used.
#2 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

That is awesome. How did you go about making it?

#3 Posted by celegorm_menegroth (63 posts) -

Damn impressive.

#4 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

The board is designed in Photoshop along with a bit of Illustrator. I had it printed on glossy paper from my college (they let students print at a very cheap price). I got some heavy board which I cut into the appropriate squares for the base. I then glued book binding on the boards, and then glued the paper on top. It was a very stressful process because it was so easy to mess up.

#5 Posted by ZombiePie (5708 posts) -

This is amazing. Flat out amazing work!

#6 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

@celegorm_menegroth: @ZombiePie: Thanks both of you. I really appreciate it.

#7 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

I agree this is amazing.

#8 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

It's awesome.

#9 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

As an aspiring Board Game designer, i ahev to say this looks really good! About the cards, how did you make sure they were balanced? DId you just changed the theme and kept the same prices in the same spots? You only made one of those? How much did it cost to make it? Thanks for the answers, dude.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

@SexyToad said:

The board is designed in Photoshop along with a bit of Illustrator.

Then you can upload a scan of the board?

#11 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

That's some cool beans right there. Makes me almost want to play Monopoly... almost.

#12 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

As an aspiring Board Game designer, i ahev to say this looks really good! About the cards, how did you make sure they were balanced? DId you just changed the theme and kept the same prices in the same spots? You only made one of those? How much did it cost to make it? Thanks for the answers, dude.

I kept the effects of the cards the same. I didn't want to mess with any fundamentals, just have a visual overhaul. Yes I made only one. Its for my friend so I wanted it to be a one of a kind. I still have all the templates just in case. I can tell you it probably cost around $40-$50. I little expensive but in my opinion worth every penny.

#13 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3065 posts) -

Sweet.

#14 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@JeanLuc said:

@SexyToad said:

The board is designed in Photoshop along with a bit of Illustrator.

Then you can upload a scan of the board?

I don't want to upload a full sized version because I rather people not steal it, but I can upload a smaller version.

#15 Posted by Mastercheesey (220 posts) -

Shit thats cool

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@JeanLuc:

Does that mean you're gonna go retail with this? Or at least try to pawn it off on Bethesda/Parker Brothers?

#17 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@JeanLuc said:

@MikeGosot said:

I kept the effects of the cards the same. I didn't want to mess with any fundamentals, just have a visual overhaul. Yes I made only one. Its for my friend so I wanted it to be a one of a kind. I still have all the templates just in case. I can tell you it probably cost around $40-$50. I little expensive but in my opinion worth every penny.

Yeah, making board games by yourself can be very expensive, especially in my country. But it's pretty nice of you to make one for your friend. About the images, how did you get them? Are they screenshots you took? The hardest part for me is always the art, i suck at Photshop and at drawing, and that's one of the reasons i didn't submit anything to GameCrafter yet.
#18 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Nah I just made it special for my friend and giving it to others I feel would ruin the value of that. I also would not like to get Bethesda involved in this. Their legal team scares me.

#19 Posted by StarvingGamer (8371 posts) -

Amazing work. I wish you were my friend.

Will you become one of Key's 30,000 friends?

#20 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

Yeah, making board games by yourself can be very expensive, especially in my country. But it's pretty nice of you to make one for your friend. About the images, how did you get them? Are they screenshots you took? The hardest part for me is always the art, i suck at Photshop and at drawing, and that's one of the reasons i didn't submit anything to GameCrafter yet.

The images are about 50/50. Half were found using google search, and the other are screenshots I took myself. The art in the middle is a really large Skyrim Concept Art. Its such a cool image I had to use it.

#21 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@JeanLuc said:

@MikeGosot said:

The images are about 50/50. Half were found using google search, and the other are screenshots I took myself. The art in the middle is a really large Skyrim Concept Art. Its such a cool image I had to use it.

Once again, thank you for the answers, dude.
#22 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

@MikeGosot: Glad to help. Thanks for checking it out.

@StarvingGamer said:

Amazing work. I wish you were my friend. Will you become one of Key's 30,000 friends?

Sure, I always love new friends.

#23 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

You have to make a tutorial on this. I understand that you don't want people using your skyrim stuff but I mean in general how to do it. Because I would be interested in making a video game one.

#24 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

You have to make a tutorial on this. I understand that you don't want people using your skyrim stuff but I mean in general how to do it. Because I would be interested in making a video game one.

That I would be down to do. I've always been a big fan of tutorials and showing people how stuff is made. Can't make any promises on when however as College is starting back up so I'm a bit busy.

#25 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

Wow that is impressive. Nice job.

#26 Posted by Gantrathor (213 posts) -

By the Nine Divines, that's amazing!

#28 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten: Hahahaha I did very briefly think about such an idea. Sadly such a thing is expensive and out of my reach.

#29 Posted by Yummylee (22041 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

This is amazing. Flat out amazing work!

I sees what you dids there.

And I agree!

#30 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

There better be an arrow to the knee reference somewhere in that board... :)

#31 Posted by celegorm_menegroth (63 posts) -

If I could offer one tiny tiny bit of feedback ...

There's one thing missing from your Skyrim board.

Replace "Just Visiting" on the Jail tile with something about Lockpicks or Breaking Out ... Or are Lockpicks your "Get out of Jail Free" card?

And I second the above call for an "Arrow to the Knee" reference ... in a Luck card, maybe?

#32 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Gantrathor

By the Nine Divines, that's amazing!

Eight Divines you goddamn Stormcloak.
#33 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

I hope you had permissions from Bethesda and Hasbro before you embarked on this :p

Just kidding of course, looks awesome

#34 Posted by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

That is cool as!

Also on an unrelated note I have a birthday coming up and you and me are now friends

#35 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Dopest thing I've seen all day, this is incredible. Really awesome job there, duder!

#36 Posted by Svenzon (722 posts) -

Mighty impressive! I've sworn never to play Monopoly again, but this might just make me break that oath.

#37 Posted by PenguinDust (12553 posts) -

That's fantastic. Bethesda should steal your idea. Not that there is anything you can do about it. Still, bravo for creativity and workmanship!

#38 Posted by Olqavtoras (226 posts) -

Amazing work!

#39 Posted by RazzaTazz (23 posts) -

Very cool

#40 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1272 posts) -

That is fucking impressive! Very nice job - I can't imagine how much work went into this project.

#41 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -

It's all fun and games until someone goes all "fus ro dah" and money is everywhere in the room.

#42 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Monopoly still sucks though.

But hey, sweet board!

#43 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

@celegorm_menegroth said:

If I could offer one tiny tiny bit of feedback ...

There's one thing missing from your Skyrim board.

Replace "Just Visiting" on the Jail tile with something about Lockpicks or Breaking Out ... Or are Lockpicks your "Get out of Jail Free" card?

And I second the above call for an "Arrow to the Knee" reference ... in a Luck card, maybe?

Lockpicks are in fact my "Get out of Jail Free" card so already got that covered.

And no I don't have an Arrow the the Knee joke. Maybe I'll make one later.

#44 Posted by EpicSteve (6492 posts) -

You should email this to Bethesda. I'm sure they'll get a kick out of it.

#45 Posted by ShaggE (6550 posts) -

If I might suggest a rule: Players must yell "FUS ROLL DAH" when rolling dice, under penalty of derision and/or loss of turn.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.