Idea for Dragon Shouts through Headset

#1 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

In the GI article they speak of an ability called Dragon Shouts. As one of the dragon born you have the power to initiate special abilities by speaking in the ancient dragon language, or something like that. When my friend and I were discussing the article he brought up an idea that I thought would be really cool if they implemented. Instead of mapping dragon shouts to a button they should use the headset to detect when you are speaking into them and actually saying these dragon shouts. Speaking into the headset in Endwar worked really well, so I assume it would be possible for this game too. Anybody think this is a plausible idea? What do you think about it? 

#2 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Shout the attack like an anime character? No thanks.

#3 Posted by august (3835 posts) -

MAU'DIB!!

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Optional? Sure, go wild.

Required? Pass.

#5 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" Shout the attack like an anime character? No thanks. "
No, not exactly. Its not like you're gonna yell the fucking spell name or anything like that. They have the dragon shouts reduced to three three-letter words that they have made up in their own language they created for the game. Ex. Fus ro dah.  

Looking back on it yelling that isn't much better, but I still think it would be really interesting and more immersive than just pressing a button.
#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@MistaSparkle said:
" @Axxol said:
" Shout the attack like an anime character? No thanks. "
No, not exactly. Its not like you're gonna yell the fucking spell name or anything like that. They have the dragon shouts reduced to three three-letter words that they have made up in their own language they created for the game. Ex. Fus ro dah.   Looking back on it yelling that isn't much better, but I still think it would be really interesting and more immersive than just pressing a button. "  
That doesn't make it sound any better.
#7 Posted by BaneFireLord (2920 posts) -

Let's pass on that one.

#8 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Oh well. I thought it would be an interesting change from pressing a button, but that's just me. :P 

Hopefully this means your character will have a voice, though.

#9 Posted by Harbinger_Of_Hippos (224 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Optional? Sure, go wild.  Required? Pass. "
Agreed. It would be a cool feature, but I don't want to have to yell shit into a microphone.
#10 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -
@Harbinger_Of_Hippos said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Optional? Sure, go wild.  Required? Pass. "
Agreed. It would be a cool feature, but I don't want to have to yell shit into a microphone. "
I think it would need to be optional because not everybody has a heasdset, and this seems like too big of a feature to lock out for some.
#11 Posted by FreakAche (2951 posts) -

Seems pointless on the same level as Wii games that replace simple button presses with waggle.

#12 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
" Seems pointless on the same level as Wii games that replace simple button presses with waggle. "
Yea, but with Endwar it worked well.
#13 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

It should be optional, and you should be able to summon an actual dragon to aid you.  You should also be able to name said dragon.

Only then will I use such a feature to out to my dragon by saying the only name I feel comfortable shouting...

"KKHHHAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!".

#14 Posted by YoThatLimp (1900 posts) -
@MistaSparkle said:
" @FreakAche said:
" Seems pointless on the same level as Wii games that replace simple button presses with waggle. "
Yea, but with Endwar it worked well. "
It kind of sucked though. 

I say pass.
#15 Posted by Agent47 (1895 posts) -
@Metalideth: Depends if you like RTS games.It was pretty good, and the voice commands worked  fined.
#16 Posted by TheChaos (1158 posts) -

I'd prefer to not look like ass while playing my games. 

#17 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -
@august said:
" MAU'DIB!! "
I'm sorry no one got the reference until now. 

Carry on about your win Sir.
#18 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Wait doesn't Kinect have a mic, I think you just came up with Kinect support for Skyrim.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.