If i wanted to see what the console version looked like.....

#1 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

Could i just turn down the graphics to medium, the AA off, and the resolution to 720p and cap the fps @ 30 fps? Would that be an accurate representation of the console graphics or would i have to do something more specific?

#2 Edited by ColumnBreaker (1164 posts) -

That'd do it.

Edit: I take it back. I'm pretty sure the console versions run at a low texture/lighting setting.

#3 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

And the reason for doing this?

#4 Posted by Akyho (1699 posts) -

NO, since youll need to screw up your textures to not load at closer distance. If you want the xbox version. Or for the PlayStation experience rip out enough ram to make it lag when your save is large and you cant play past 30min

#5 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2133 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

And the reason for doing this?

Just plain old human curiosity perhaps?

#6 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Dumb

#7 Edited by BasketSnake (1293 posts) -
#8 Posted by JoeyRavn (4986 posts) -

@BasketSnake said:

First of all I honestly think the textures on the xbox version looks like the "high" settings on PC but that's just me. Secondly -

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1321657-tesv-acceleration-layer-offers-cpu-optimization-massive-possible-performance-increases-now-in-skse-plugin-format/

This is very interesting, it made a huge difference for me on my 2,1ghz laptop processor. Performance increase at least 30%. Try it.

That's some very interesting info. I'll check it out and see what impact this has on my game ASAP. I get constant 60 FPS on my setup, but there are some very few and precise spots (i.e. cities) where FPS drop noticeably. At least this may potentially give me some room for turning on some eye candy :)

PS: There's no chance in Hell that the console versions look like the PC version on High. The amount and quality of shaders, draw distance, antialiasing, etc. is much higher on PC.

#9 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

@ripsaw117: Take the aliasing off for the PS3 version, but leave it on for the 360. Never quicksave. Revert the women's faces to the dirty original faces.

#10 Posted by BasketSnake (1293 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@BasketSnake said:

First of all I honestly think the textures on the xbox version looks like the "high" settings on PC but that's just me. Secondly -

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1321657-tesv-acceleration-layer-offers-cpu-optimization-massive-possible-performance-increases-now-in-skse-plugin-format/

This is very interesting, it made a huge difference for me on my 2,1ghz laptop processor. Performance increase at least 30%. Try it.

That's some very interesting info. I'll check it out and see what impact this has on my game ASAP. I get constant 60 FPS on my setup, but there are some very few and precise spots (i.e. cities) where FPS drop noticeably. At least this may potentially give me some room for turning on some eye candy :)

PS: There's no chance in Hell that the console versions look like the PC version on High. The amount and quality of shaders, draw distance, antialiasing, etc. is much higher on PC.

I agree, I mean the texture resolution alone. Shaders and effects might be better on PC but if you compare the texture resolutions on PC's "high" setting and the console versions I think it looks pretty much the same. Draw distance etc is better on PC for sure.

#11 Posted by geirr (2716 posts) -

PC vanilla version looks bland and desaturated enough on high settings, I don't even want to imagine the console versions.

#12 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3050 posts) -

@ripsaw117 said:

Could i just turn down the graphics to medium, the AA off, and the resolution to 720p and cap the fps @ 30 fps? Would that be an accurate representation of the console graphics or would i have to do something more specific?

Thirty frames per second? No, turn it down to 24 frames per second, and then from time to time blink your eyes a lot if you want to see what it looks like on PS3.

#13 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

I see this thread going bad places.

#14 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

@BasketSnake said:

Holy shit this works. Thanks for the heads up dude!

Edit: Tested this out a bit more and went to Markarth, the bane of all shitty CPUs. In the heavy spots, it would drop down to 15fps and hover at around 22-25 fps throughout the whole city. After this it maybe drops to 25 at it's lowest and hovers at around 30-35 everywhere else. Dungeons (60fps all the time) and the wilderness (45-60fps) were never a problem fps-wise, but I'll take whatever boost I can get.

#15 Posted by BasketSnake (1293 posts) -

I just grabbed my xbox save over to the PC version. I'm not too keen on exploring everything over again and I really wanted those melee perks so what I did was I console cheated myself to 81, gave myself all the skills and perks and started attacking mammoths and giants. Immediately I realized how much fun it took out of the game. I think I'd rather start a melee character from scratch.

#16 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

@Vinny_Says: just curiosity

#17 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@BasketSnake said:

Holy shit this works. Thanks for the heads up dude!

Edit: Tested this out a bit more and went to Markarth, the bane of all shitty CPUs. In the heavy spots, it would drop down to 15fps and hover at around 22-25 fps throughout the whole city. After this it maybe drops to 25 at it's lowest and hovers at around 30-35 everywhere else. Dungeons (60fps all the time) and the wilderness (45-60fps) were never a problem fps-wise, but I'll take whatever boost I can get.

Might give that a try. My laptop is just above the required settings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.