If I were to get the PS3 version...

#1 Posted by EvGar (133 posts) -

Would I just say no to the patches? I haven't kept up to date with them, all I know is that as of now it's in a bad way. Was it an older patch that broke it, or was it shipped with these issues?

Basically, should I let it patch whenit loads?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@EvGar said:
Would I just say no to the patches? I haven't kept up to date with them, all I know is that as of now it's in a bad way. Was it an older patch that broke it, or was it shipped with these issues? Basically, should I let it patch whenit loads?
Shipped with the issues. The patchs would fix most of the stuff( random quest bugs and stuff will be there) The biggest right now I hear is the horrid lag. 
#3 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

I don't think any of the current patches effect the performance of the PS3 version in one way or another, but I can't say that with 100% accuracy. 

#4 Posted by awesomeusername (4185 posts) -

Solution. Don't buy it for PS3 if you have another system. I don't have it but I can now say I hate Bethesda games on PS3. I'm playing Fallout 3 GOTY right now and the damn game freezes up on me and lags like crazy all the time. You would think their 3 year old game would be fully playable. I hate that I love their games.

#5 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

don't worry I've played 60 hours on the PS3 and have not had one single problem

#6 Edited by handlas (2681 posts) -

Got all the patches here. Still no issues. Either i havent played enough or im lucky as hell. Worst thing ive seen is a few floating trees slightly off a cliff....like the ground didnt load under it or something.

#7 Posted by kr24racer (5 posts) -

I wish i could show you how bad the lag is for the ps3 version. I've played for about 100 hours and the frame rate slows down to a solid 3. I would hold back until a patch that fixes this although seeing as bethesda had the same problem for oblivion and fallout, i doubt it.

#8 Posted by FTomato (234 posts) -

Frame rate's fine here at 90+ hours. It certainly stutters, but it resolves itself in seconds, and it almost never happens outside of towns, which don't really have combat stuff. It only gets bad if you're playing a long session at once, at which point you just need to restart. Patches improve the frame rate, don't know where you heard otherwise :/ There'll be another patch coming at some point to improve it as well.

#9 Posted by MX (232 posts) -

My version is perfectly fine, at 12+ hours no frame rate issues. I have turned autosaving of just to be sure.

#10 Posted by JBird (489 posts) -

I would'nt worry dude. before you play it delete all the old saves from games u dont play any more and clean up your ps3 a bit. (dunno if it helps but it cant not help right!) then turn off all autosaving and remember to save it yourself.

The main thing is to not think lag, if you go into it hyper sensitive to lag you'll be looking for it and minor jolts that you wouldnt normally notice will annoy u!

#11 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -

Here's the breakdown: first patch fixed a lot of things and broke a lot of others, second patch fixed the things patch 1 broke. As of now, the PS3 version is less buggy than the 360 version (given that the 360 still has crash, freeze, and last I heard, texture loading problems). 

I used to have lag, but the patches have fixed it -- and I don't do any of that 'deleting my auto-saves' rubbish; I like having auto-saves as a backup plan. Some people still have lag on the PS3, but most people don't. Go ahead and get it for PS3. Even if you're one of the people who will get lag eventually, you wont get it until a hundred hours in, by which time more fixes will have come out.

#12 Posted by Spoonman671 (4636 posts) -

The first patch seems to have made a pretty big difference for me, but only when starting a new character.  My original character, with a 13MB save file, still had a lot of framerate issues.

@MX said:

My version is perfectly fine, at 12+ hours no frame rate issues. I have turned autosaving of just to be sure.

You know it takes about 25-30 hours for these problems to show up, right?
#13 Posted by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -
@EvGar: There is a patch coming soon that is said to fix some issues which is awesome news
#14 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Yeah I'd say download all of the patches, they fix most non PS3 specific issues. As for the lag it seems like it's just luck or something, some people get horrendous unplayable frame rates and others don't. My game has been fine until now (bout 30 hours in). Supposedly they'll be patching it with 1.4 by the end of January. Until then you could try turning auto-saving off, I've seen people saying that making some space on your hard drive helps dunno if that's true.

So yeah, like others have said if you can get it for PC that's best, but if not the PS3 version should be fine.

#15 Posted by M1M1C (59 posts) -

Well it seems to be hit and miss as to who actually has issues as i've played over 220 hours and (One character's just over a 140 hours, another 45ish and another 35ish) and i havent had lag issues since a patch over two months ago, so if you do get it then good luck!

#16 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

If you have other option besides the PS3 then get it for that platform.

#17 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

I've put 160+ hours in to two different characters. Once the save file grows, I get some pretty serious lag when playing multiple hours. I can restart the PS3 to clear the lag for another couple hours. I encounter basic glitches here and there, nothing bad but, a quest-breaking glitch on my first character. That was before the most recent patch, however. Turning off all of the autosave keeps it much smoother for me.

#18 Posted by Hemmelight (164 posts) -

I was really unhappy with the framerate as normal. From the moment I started the game I felt that the performace was unacceptable. I bought it on STeam to play on my iMac, found a frame limiter and set it to 30 fps, now I'm golden.

#19 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

I have no idea why anyone would buy the PS3 version at this point.

#20 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

@Grimluck343 said:

Maybe they don't have a 360 or a capable PC?

#21 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

@Geo7877 said:

@Grimluck343 said:

Maybe they don't have a 360 or a capable PC?

Then wait for a patch that actually fixes things. You still shouldn't buy the PS3 version yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.