I'm getting Skyrim for my PS3 so do I need a PSN account?

#1 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (102 posts) -

I mean, do I need a PSN account to get the patches? Are they already on the game? How does the scenario run...

#2 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

That's a great question. I think as long as you're connected to the internet, it will detect and download patches regardless of whether you're signed in. Why wouldn't you just create a PSN account though?

#3 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

You'll have to download them. They won't already be on the disc if that's what you're asking.

#4 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

@BlueLantern1995 said:

I mean, do I need a PSN account to get the patches? Are they already on the game? How does the scenario run...

Yes, but PSN accounts are free, so it's fine.

Better still, don't get Skyrim on PS3. Get it on ANY OTHER CONSOLE.

#5 Edited by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Yes, but PSN accounts are free, so it's fine.

Better still, don't get Skyrim on PS3. Get it on ANY OTHER CONSOLE.

As a PS3 owner of Skyrim, I find this offensive....but true :(

#6 Posted by adam1808 (1373 posts) -

DON'T GET SKYRIM ON THE PS3

#7 Posted by adam1808 (1373 posts) -

@BlueLantern1995: The clip has links to a video after the patch on youtube, it's improved but still jerky as hell. Unless you're willing to save and quit every half hour of play, steer clear of the PS3 version. The Bethesda engine has ingrained issues with the PS3 architecture.

#8 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

@SamStrife: I, too, made the mistake of buying the game on PS3. I wasn't sold on Skyrim when it first came out, so I didn't preorder it or anything. When I decided I actually wanted it, all the 360 copies were sold out, but there were plenty of Ps3 copies left. I thought, "How different could it be?"

NEVER again. Don't buy Bethesda products on PS3, PERIOD.

#9 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

@BlueLantern1995: I have the PS3 version and have never had those problems (that was also after patches I didn't own it before them). I'm also not sure if you need a PSN to download patches or not but if its connected online I doubt you need to but if you do its real easy and free to get one.

#10 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

I'm so glad I traded in my ps3 copy for the pc version. If you have a similar option is do that

#11 Posted by c_rakestraw (824 posts) -

@adam1808: Really? I've been playing it a ton recently and haven't had much trouble at all. Still get the occasional frame rate drop, but nothing that makes it unplayable.

#12 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

@adam1808: @BlueLantern1995: Those problems are long gone, the game plays fine now. The only issue is Bethesda's slow DLC release.

#13 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2309 posts) -

Skyrim on Ps3... Lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.