Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Infinite quests and a level cap in Skyrim?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BonOrbitz

In a recent interview with Wired,Todd Howard said that the "Radiant Quest system" will allow for the game to supply infinite quests of procedurally generated content. I'm not sure how that will turn out (It sounds pretty simple like "collect these" or "kill that") but I'm interested nonetheless.

I wonder what the rewards would be for these "infinite quests" and if experience is involved or if it's just randomized loot. Has there been any word on a level cap like Bethesda implemented in Fallout? I wonder how that would jive with their quest system. Ugh. Friday can't come soon enough!

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

@bonorbitz: Agree that Friday can't come soon enough!

To answer the level question; you only get perks up to level 50. You can technically level up more after that, but as far as I understand there's point in doing so. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

And the "infinite quests" sure sounds great on paper at least, but I agree that they'll most likely be quite lackluster towards the end. "Get me X amount of Z please" - that sort of stuff if I should guess.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ABritishNerd

@Cincaid said:

To answer the level question; you only get perks up to level 50. You can technically level up more after that, but as far as I understand there's point in doing so. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

And the "infinite quests" sure sounds great on paper at least, but I agree that they'll most likely be quite lackluster towards the end. "Get me X amount of Z please" - that sort of stuff if I should guess.

At least it still provides some objectives after you've finished everything else.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cincaid

@ABritishNerd: Definitely! I'm not complaining (and as I said, I really don't know enough about it), just preparing myself to not be blown away by the radiant quest system. :)

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Adamsons

The level cap is probably whatever resulting level you end up at with 100 in all 18 skills.

//Edit - but as the guy above said, after 50 you get no more perks, unsure if you get more hp/magicka/stam though.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

A level cap of 50 is sweet, plus the Infinite quests may be similar to those found in MMORPGs, but Skyrim also has unique quests, so the Radiant quests system can only be a good thing.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cincaid

I did some more researching regarding the radiant quest system. NPCs will know a lot about your character, like if there are some flowers you haven't found yet or a dungeon you haven't explored. So they'll "make up" quests to make sure you explore and see everything there is to do, like a dude will ask you to get him 10 flowers you haven't found yet for example.

Sounds really cool to be honest, but curious how it'll be once you've actually explored every dungeon and picked every flower there is, heh.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SSully

I just hope they make it easy to distinguish the difference between radiant quests, main quests, and the regular kind of side quests that we are used to from Bethesda games.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

"Thank you for finding THIS. I was looking everywhere for THIS."

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By w00ties

The infinite quests seem at the very least to be a solid fallback option for when you aren't interested in progressing the story but you're still in the mood for slaying evil.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By McGhee

@Cincaid said:

I did some more researching regarding the radiant quest system. NPCs will know a lot about your character, like if there are some flowers you haven't found yet or a dungeon you haven't explored. So they'll "make up" quests to make sure you explore and see everything there is to do, like a dude will ask you to get him 10 flowers you haven't found yet for example.

Sounds really cool to be honest, but curious how it'll be once you've actually explored every dungeon and picked every flower there is, heh.

That is really awesome because I know I never found every location in Oblivion.

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Neferon

Regarding the level cap. If you have the PC version there's a good chance someone'll make a mod that removes the level cap. It happened with Fallout 3 as well. I never like level caps....

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By project343

@bonorbitz: Soft cap of 50--after level 50, it becomes significantly more difficult. Theoretical cap of 70. If you max out every skill to 100, you'll be around level 70.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CL60

Infinite quests AND infinite dragons? Oh my.

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Neferon

@project343: Oblivion allowed you to level endlessly due to the prison decreasing your skills without decreasing your level. Do you know if this is also present in Skyrim?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By FreakAche

Quests have never granted experience in Elder Scrolls.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By project343

@Neferon: To be honest, I'm not really sure. Todd has said that a lot of effort has gone into the prison/crime system. I'd assume that also means that massive changes are coming.

With that said, I believe there is a cap on the number of perks you can acquire, independent of your level cap.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#18  Edited By metalsnakezero

"Infinite quests"

I'm not going to stop playing, am I?

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By JP_Russell

@Cincaid said:

@bonorbitz:

To answer the level question; you only get perks up to level 50.

@project343 said:

@Neferon:

With that said, I believe there is a cap on the number of perks you can acquire, independent of your level cap.

This is not true, apparently.

http://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/status/100566469783470080

You get perks at every level-up until you run out of skills to increase it with. The only thing I'm aware of that happens at 50, according to Todd Howard, is that leveling slows dramatically.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By alexl86

I'll try to explain the leveling to the best of my ability:

Unlike in Fallout where you get 50 experience for killing a Deathclaw, then assign skill points when you gain enough experience to level up, in Skyrim you become more proficient from using the skill. Striking a bandit with a one-handed sword will increase the one-handed skill. The skill increases determine when you level up.

When you level up you assign 10 points to one of your three attributes; Health, Magicka or Stamina. In addition, you gain a perk to assign. Unlike Fallout where you choose from a list, each perk is tied to a skill tree and each one, except the first, has a skill requirement and a prerequisite perk. You can't take a perk higher up in the tree without taking the perk/s below.

You level much more slowly after level 50. You can still keep leveling by increasing skills that haven't reached 100 yet, but once all your skills reach 100, it stops. You'll be around level 70 when this happens. You'll keep getting perks and attribute increases above level 50.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cincaid

@JP_Russell: I guess we'll see how it works when we get our hands on the game. :)

From the wiki:

The game imposes a soft cap at level 50. Past level 50, leveling up happens much more slowly. The theoretical level cap (maximum level) is around level 70, reached by increasing all skills to 100.
    One implication of the leveling system is that although it is possible to create a character with 100 in all skills, it is not possible for a single character to unlock all of the skill perks. There are more than 250 total skill perks (including multi-point perks), but only around 70 of them can be unlocked by any given character.
    deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deskp

Doesent the radient AI also take care of quests you "break" by replacing dead characthers. So you will always be able to complete quests.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BonOrbitz

@deskp said:

Doesent the radient AI also take care of quests you "break" by replacing dead characthers. So you will always be able to complete quests.

I have heard that Bethesda is implementing this. I think it's a great idea because a quest giver somehow died in Fallout 3. Never had a problem in Oblivion, however.

chplusink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chplusink

@Cincaid said:

Level Cap is actually 80.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.