Is Skyrim fun without mods?

• 66 results
#51 Posted by Zelyre (1105 posts) -

If you're going to go mod free for purity's sake, there's one mod you should install if you're playing with the keyboard and mouse.

skyui

#52 Posted by Dimi3je (287 posts) -

Yes. Plated a ton without mods on PC. I've tried some of them later on (mostly cosmetic ones) they did improve the game, but the core is still awesome.

#53 Edited by Nasar7 (2587 posts) -

I played it on PS3 and liked it, so yeah.

#54 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

Skyrim is a great game. Mods can make it into a better game. To be honest I mostly use mods just to improve the graphics and make very minor gameplay tweaks. People saying the game is unplayable without heavy modding... uh don't listen to them. To get the most fun out of it you can may require a lot of mods for you, but the stand alone game is great by itself.

#55 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1287 posts) -

I have not touched it since September 2012, but that was after logging some 130 plus hours. Fantastic game that is perfectly fine without the assistance of mods

#56 Edited by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

What makes Skyrim fun is exploring the world. Upgrade your textures and you'll get all you can out of that without modding.

#57 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

Extremely. I've put hundreds of hours into the game on consoles and love it.

#58 Posted by NMC2008 (1227 posts) -

I dunno, i'm too busy adding and managing and testing mods to know how the game is. lol

#59 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

It's fun without mods. My first playthrough was modless, and I still had a good time.

#60 Posted by HistoryInRust (6268 posts) -

Yes.

#61 Posted by wewantsthering (1547 posts) -

Yes.

#62 Posted by Sharpless (457 posts) -

If it's your first time, I imagine so. If it was your fifth time, probably not. I'm still on my first playthrough (picked it up for $7 around the Steam sale) and I modded the shit out of it, so I can't speak from experience, but it seems like the vanilla experience would be totally fine. It'd probably get tiring on later playthroughs, though.

Modding isn't that difficult, though, if you use the mod site Nexus and install their Nexus Mod Manager software. It does the installation work for you for most mods, and when mods require manual installation, it's usually easy enough if you follow the modder's instructions. Try out a simple mod or two. You'll probably be fine.

#63 Posted by Hunter5024 (5508 posts) -

I'm just gonna say this. If your character creator has a slider for face dirt, and the lowest setting of the slider is not zero dirt, you fucked up.

#64 Posted by Nux (2294 posts) -

Yes it is but mods make it A LOT better.

#65 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (526 posts) -

I put 101 hours into it for my first playthrough, and when I get back to it (eventually!) I plan on quite a few mods. It was the same approach I took for Oblivion, and most games on the PC in fact. I prefer having a good vanilla experience before tweaking what the developers created. That's just me, though. If you find something that looks really cool, go ahead and install it. Steam makes it super easy.

#66 Posted by TheHT (10804 posts) -

As someone who got real sick of the combat, Duel Combat (makes enemies smarter and combat in general tougher) and TK Dodge (adds a dodge move that uses some stamina) have made it way more interesting so far.

But I'm also using a ring that stops time to let me go all Max Payne 2 on fools, so that could just be brightening up everything else in Skyrim, indirectly. Walk into a room, 4 bandits get up and reach for weapons, stop time, shoot arrows at them all, start time, everybody dies. So dumb and great.

Still, the times I've decided to fight fairly have been much more entertaining than before. So the answer is yes.

Man, I should picked up the DLC when it was on sale, then I could get the mod that gives a cape sweet cloth physics. $10 for a sweet cape is maybe where I should draw the line, but it's all flowy!!

#67 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The combat kinda sucks.

#68 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

200+ hours on Playstation 3 says that yes, for me it absolutly was fun without mods.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.