is skyrim worth buying

• 61 results
#1 Posted by 3ds24 (29 posts) -

I was thinking about buying it but I think it not worth the money

#2 Posted by Kaiserreich (698 posts) -

Not on PS3. Its probably worth it on 360 and is definitely worth it on PC.

#3 Posted by AlisterCat (5559 posts) -

Nah. 240 hours in, can't be worth the money I paid for it at all.

#4 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

You should at least tell people why you think that so that they can give you a better opinion.

#5 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Its worth it for the entertainment value, if you would otherwise starve or be unable to function without that money, it probably isn't worth it.

#6 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (418 posts) -

I think it's a great game but if you think a game that big isn't worth the money then it probably just isn't your style of game. I still suggest it anyway.

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

If it''s not your type of game and you already think it's not worth in then: no, it's probably not worth it.  

I know, making sense on these forums, right? how dare I. 

#9 Posted by Bollard (5527 posts) -

If you genuinely even need to ask this question, I think it's probably not worth buying it (for you). You're probably the kinda person who wouldn't enjoy the combat or something so much you think the game stinks. It's no Call Of Duty my friend.

#10 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2768 posts) -

Nope...a poorly made game all around.

#11 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -
@Kaiserreich

And yet, I had no major issues with my 200 hours with the PS3 version. I got my money's worth.
#12 Posted by Humanity (9201 posts) -

It wasn't for me - I hope were very much alike or this recommendation might steer you astray!

#13 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

On PC yes.  On 360 yes.  On PS3 only if bugs don't annoy you a lot.

#14 Posted by Brando (9 posts) -

I think people really do blow the PS3 problems out of proportion. I've put about 100 hours into this version, and while I saw some chugging framerates in Whiterun and a few backwards-flying dragons, it's by no means unplayable. Patches, while far from perfect, have fixed most of these troubles (which are not game-breaking, by any means).

To tell someone not to buy the game on PS3 is just ludicrous -- this is an epic, one-of-a-kind game that comes along once every decade or so. Don't miss it, even if you're playing on Sony's console.

#15 Posted by Kaiserreich (698 posts) -

@Galiant:

I'm just going by what everyone else has said about that version as I've only played the PC version.

#16 Posted by 3ds24 (29 posts) -

thank I want to get portal 2 but I saw skyrim and thought about it and came here

#17 Posted by CaLe (3981 posts) -
@3ds24 said:

thank I want to get portal 2 but I saw skyrim and thought about it and came here

They are 2 completely different games. If you want your money's worth then you can't go wrong with Skyrim. Portal 2 is also worth the money but you won't get as much out of it simply because it's a shorter game. 
#18 Posted by WindFall259 (365 posts) -

No man. If you want to keep your job and/or stay in school, it's not worth it to buy Skyrim.

#19 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

If you're thinking about getting it for the Xbox, then I'd wait for the GOTY edition. If you're getting it for PC, however, I'd go ahead and get it. The mod community will have created plenty of things to do by the time you've exhausted all the vanilla game has to offer.

#20 Posted by SSully (4185 posts) -

@Brando: Agreed. I play on PC, but I've watched my brother play the PS3 version with very few issues. He also has about 80 hours in one file, and 20-30 in another and has had very few complaints in terms of bugs.

#21 Edited by Storms (341 posts) -
@3ds24:  

Portal 2 is a great game, and fun to play in local co-op. 

Skyrim is the most game you can get for your buck just in terms of sheer size. And if you know how to roleplay, it's the best game you could ever hope for. Gritty, grimly beautiful and so open that it leaves some people paralyzed and others complaining that the game is broken because they can do things they don't have to.  

@SSully
@Brando
@Galiant

It's a minority of PS3 users -- a fraction of those who play Skyrim for hundreds of hours. And, yeah, that's a lot of people who can't play Skyrim, eventually. But of course that number goes down with each patch. All of my problems stopped after 1.3.5. And what can't be fixed can be attributed to hardware. Maybe 5% of hardcore players will eventually get unbearable lag that can't be fixed because of hardware limitations. What do people suggest, that no PS3 users should get to experience Skyrim at all if those 5% can't play after 80 hours? As someone who only owns a PS3, I'll take the chance that I might not be able to play Skyrim for 300 hours on the PS3, rather than guarantee I can't play Skyrim at all.
#22 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Wait for the GOTY edition for $40 or less. It's overhyped because modern games are so linear and narrow in scope that it's easy to get a boner over something like Skyrim despite how unpolished it is.

#23 Posted by codynewill (166 posts) -

@3ds24: Brad gave it a 5 in his review. I did a user review and gave it 4. It is very much worth the money.

#24 Posted by JasonR86 (9695 posts) -

@3ds24:

Where have you been? Have you not read any reviews or seen any of the response online?

#25 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

This has to be a troll. That, or someone who lives under a rock, raised by wolves, etc. etc.

#26 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1246 posts) -

eh idk

#27 Posted by Neeshka (118 posts) -

probably; but it really depends on what kind of games you like and how forgiving you are of flaws.

#28 Posted by natetodamax (19204 posts) -

If you like that kind of game, absolutely.

#29 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Yes.

#30 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

Is Skyrim worth the money? This has to be a joke thread, right? Right?

#31 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

SHUT UP AND BUY THAT SHIT!

#32 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

somehow i don't think this guy and skyrim will mesh..

#33 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

The PS3 version doesnt really have any major problems when I think about it....  Like I didnt mind the lag until the internet started bitching about it.  I guess its because I really loved Fallout 3 on the PS3 and I tolerated that version 

#34 Edited by 3ds24 (29 posts) -

I have ps3 and bunch of you said it bad and I don't know a thing about it and 300 hour sound long so there are side quest on it and I not a troll

#35 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@3ds24 said:

I have ps3 and bunch of you said it bad and I don't know a thing about it and 300 hour sound long so there are side quest on it and I not a troll

If you think that "being long" is a bad thing, you don't want Skyrim. 

Your typing is very hard to understand so I can't tell when you're asking a question, stating an opinion or just reciting a fact. But, hey, give Skyrim a shot. I didn't know anything about massive open world RPGs when I first popped Morrowind into my XBOX. Now, I can hardly play anything else.
#36 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

Definitly worth it man. Awesome game with a shit ton of content. If you like this kind of game you will get alot more hours out of it then you would from most $60 games.

#37 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@laserbolts: If you like this kind of game, there's no game you'll get more hours out of. More like.
#38 Posted by 3ds24 (29 posts) -

I think I might get it thanks

#39 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: If it''s not your type of game and you already think it's not worth in then: no, it's probably not worth it. I know, making sense on these forums, right? how dare I.

How are you so unapologetically real?

#40 Posted by iTWAN (45 posts) -

@3ds24: I have the 360 version and I have to say yes!! I am 210+ hours in and I just started a new character. Love the game.

#41 Posted by NovaSethyr (15 posts) -

For Xbox/PC, it is completely worth the money. If you were thinking between Portal 2 and Skyrim, I'd buy Skyrim and rent Portal 2, because you will finish Portal much more quickly than you'll be finished with Skyrim.

#42 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Kaiserreich said:

#43 Posted by 3ds24 (29 posts) -

why is it worth it on the 360 pc

#44 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@3ds24 said:

Portal 5 hours, Skyrim 100+ its worth the money.

#45 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@3ds24 said:

why is it worth it on the 360 pc

The 360 version is the superior console version (no oxymoron intended). Or at least, was. I've heard that the latest patch, 1.4, fixed all the lag issues on PS3 which rendered the game unplayable after some time. I guess you can buy either version now, if those rumors are true.

On PC, mods. Seriously. Fucking mods are amazing. They are as simple as animation tweaks to things as complex as redoing the whole magicka system, including textures, gameplay, quests, places, weapons, armors, companions, etc.

Mods.

#46 Posted by DragonBloodthirsty (470 posts) -

Everyone who has played it says "It is very much like Oblivion, but a bit cleaned up so it's better". It looks like a pretty standard Bethesda game, so you can probably base your decision on their past work.

#47 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Skyrim Sucks!

#48 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

If you don't think it's worth buying it's not worth buying. Simple as that. Pointless thread. Come on, read reviews, watch videos, make up your mind. Give us more info as to why you don't think it's worth 50 bucks or whatever the price is nowadays and perhaps someone can help you.

#49 Posted by TwoLines (2810 posts) -

Listen, you can find a TON of things about Skyrim all around the internet. It's pointless to ask a group of strangers on the internet if it's worth a purchase or not. However, if you're still interested in what we have to say, I think the game's okay. I don't think it's spectacular, but it's solid and will keep you interested. I'd say check it out. The PS3 version is pretty busted though, so rent/buy the PC or the Xbox 360 version.

#50 Posted by talkingtoast (85 posts) -

Giant Bomb's game of the year ! Need I say more ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.