Is the PS3 version really THAT bad?

• 82 results
#1 Edited by Conker (795 posts) -

As soon as I write my last university exam, I'm hitting up Best Buy to pick this up.

I've been hearing a lot people saying that the ps3 version is broken bla bla, so I ask: PS3 users, how bad are things over on the PS3?

#2 Posted by falling_fast (2283 posts) -

I'm curious about this too

#3 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

Not out of the box but the bigger your save game gets the more problems you see.

#4 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

the PS3 is just getting old and tired. the cell clearly is not as powerful as sony lead us to believe.

#5 Posted by Conker (795 posts) -

@alternate: What kind of problems though? Are they just glitches or is it more serious like lockups or lost saves?

#6 Posted by twi (64 posts) -

I'm about 22 hours in and have a save file just under 5mbs. (currently playing on the new 160gig PS3 Slim) That said i've noticed a few slow downs but none of the game breaking lag that has been reported. At 22 hours i'm no where near the end, so I'll have to wait and see what happens as my save file increases.

#7 Posted by Hector (3380 posts) -

I'm currently playing on PS3 and it runs fine. Maybe I get some slow frame rates when there is a lot of action happening but besides that it runs smooth.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@jetsetwillie said:

the PS3 is just getting old and tired. the cell clearly is not as powerful as sony lead us to believe.

That's bollocks, given that the PS3 is younger than the 360.

#9 Posted by Stete (748 posts) -

I havent played the PS3 version but go and check the digital foundry article and videos. Here's a quote from it "... with some freezes lasting long enough to drag the frame-rate down to zero in places...". Dont get me wrong I love Skyrim but no one should buy the PS3 version until (or if) they get it fixed.

#10 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

Just watch a video of the framerate. I know that you might think "Oh well, it won't affect me right off the bat because it only happens 50 - 60 hours in", but when you do reach that point and your save becomes unplayable then you will feel cheated of a game. Bethesda should not have released the game in this condition.  

I thought it was a lot of sensationalist stuff, until I seen firsthand that it's true. The framerate really does basically lock up. And some are saying that they'll never be able to fix it because it's an innate problem in the engine that was also present in New Vegas PS3. Very shitty for PS3 only owners.

#11 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

I eventually ebay'd my copy for cost. Still haven't bothered to check wether they've fixed the perfromance issues, but it was pretty bad by the 30 hour mark. Later re-bought the game for half price, but won't bother until it gets sorted.

#12 Posted by N7 (3677 posts) -

It's not that it's bad PER SE. Your game degrades slowly throughout your playtime. The save file has nothing to do with it. It gets bigger on the Xbox too and they have no problems.

You be playing. 30 hours in "Oh man those people were stupid. This game is great! Still going strong at 60FPS and no freezes or anything yet!". Then, at 31 hours, the framerate will dip every so often. You'll notice towns cause your rate to practically stop for a few seconds. Then, at 40 hours, you'll notice that every hour or so, you'll have to stop and reboot. Oh, not a big deal. What's two minutes out of the six hours I'll be playing? Then, at 50 hours, you'll notice that fighting anything over two people will cause the framerate to STOP for several seconds, as the game essentially buffers. Then at 60 hours, fuck me in the butt, don't go into towns, because you might not come back. Then say bye-bye to dragons and hello to flying black textures that cause your game to freeze.

After 60 hours for me, I can't fight anything without it lagging, I can't traverse the wild without it lagging, I can't even go to Whiterun without literally having to check if my PS3 froze or not. My game has become unplayable during fights with anything. I remember I ran into a random camp of bandits in the game and I almost had to shut it off because it was so fucked.

Oddly enough though, being inside buildings and caves cause the game to run perfectly.

#13 Posted by fetchfox (1363 posts) -

@Conker: I've played it on ps3 for over 140 hours, my save is at 14 mb, but I can still go through a dungeon or city without problems. After some hours the game might freeze, and if it has just autosaved that autosave will most likely be corrupted. But none of my hardsaves have ever been corrupted. It's absolutely playable, and you will most likely not hit the real problems with framerate and freezes until about 60++ hours in.

Broken is strong word, and I'm not saying it's not broken for some players, but that shouldn't stop you from buying it. Though if you have a capable PC, that is the safest option.

#14 Posted by mikey87144 (1807 posts) -

I'm 100 hours in and it runs OK. It should be better but certainly not game breaking. I have a slim though so older models might be were the problem is.@jetsetwillie said:

If you judge a systems full potential by the exclusove games then clearly that's not the case. Most agree that PS3 exclusives blow away the competitions exclusives in terms of technical prowess. Since the 360 is the LCD then obviously devs will build for that first and port to the other platforms afterward. The PC used to suffer but not anymore but the PS3 still does.

#15 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

If you have the option to buy it on any other platform, do so.

#16 Posted by Zelyre (1275 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@jetsetwillie said:

That's bollocks, given that the PS3 is younger than the 360.

The Cell could be most powerful CPU of all time. It won't do jack crap with 256 megs of system memory. Especially when 50+ megs of it is used by XMB. The 360's OS has a much smaller footprint and much more flexible memory structure.

#17 Posted by morrelloman (609 posts) -

I am around 80 hours in and the problems are very notable and consistent as depicted by @N7

You start to treat the game like a baby. You don't want to do anything to break or hurt it so you start to play it differently. Keeping in mind that the save file is getting bigger. The fact that you even have to think about it means its essentially broken. If you have another option I say go for it, otherwise, suck it up. Because it is not THAT bad. It's not totally unplayable, but you are making compromises that you shouldn't have to make. And while that's kind of fucked & if I paid the $60 I would be more upset...this game is still so good. The best bethesda has put out to date.

And one more thing about the $60. You are getting WAY WAY more game for your money here than most things on the market so that's another positive. In conclusion, it is not THAT bad. Buy it.

#18 Posted by Conker (795 posts) -

Are these problems consistent across the board? Or is it only affecting a percentage of the PS3 players?

#19 Posted by geirr (2710 posts) -

I'd wait for the 1.3 patch. I haven't tried it myself since I play it on the PC but waiting seems smart in this case.

#20 Posted by MadLeper (27 posts) -

I'm convinced the PS3 issues are not affecting everyone. I've reached the 100+ hour mark, have a 14MB save file and so have experienced a half dozen lockups, a few broken quests and occasional choppiness under certain conditions. Better than par for a Bethesda game, especially at launch.

I've found that anytime the game gets choppy, it's either because the game is trying to autosave or I've been playing for longer than 3 or 4 hours. Disabling all the autosave options fixed the first issue (have to be careful to remember to manual save !), saving & restarting the game after a couple of hours fixed the second.

There's definitely a garbage collection issue with the software that gets worse the longer your play session lasts, and the game seems to have a hard time running and saving at the same time. Both should be easily patchable if Bethesda would get off their butts and make the effort.

Otherwise the game has played perfectly fine, looks great and is great fun to play. I'm also beginning to to suspect that much of the whole "PS3 Skyrim version is utterly broken" business is just a few anti-Sony trolls trying to discredit the PS3, but that's just my opinion.

#21 Edited by MAST (736 posts) -

I played it for roughly 35 hours and didn't have a single problem. /shrug

Edit: I'm using an older PS3 launch system as well, but I changed out the HD for a 300gb Western Digital. So maybe that's why. I dunno.

#22 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

@Conker said:

Are these problems consistent across the board? Or is it only affecting a percentage of the PS3 players?

Its an architecture thing. If you don't have a ton of state variables from your save that needs to take up RAM you might not have issues. But the more stuff you move about the more state variables you have the more likely you'll run into it.

#23 Posted by Matiaz_Tapia (292 posts) -

@Conker:

Here's a summed up version as I understand it:

"What's the problem?": At first, the game runs as intended. As you keep playing your save file get's bigger. Starting with the usual 2000k and getting into a ridiculous 5MB.

"Why?" The PS3 version depends heavily on running stuff on the HDD. So it just stores everything there...problem is, there's a lot of things to store the more you play the game.

" Like what?" Mostly corpses, dropped items, depleted lootables like plants and to put it simply "quest stuff".

"But why does this have to do with the framerate?" The game Autosaves every 15 minutes and each time you rest or wait. The bigger the file the worse the framerate gets when it autosaves. Most people report the towns to be the problem. Most people fast travel to towns...activating the Autosave.

" What does that have to do with corrupted save files? " The more data you handle, the more chances something will go wrong. Most people report that this corrupted saves are Typically Autosaves.

"What can I do???" A few things that are probably good to know,

- You can disable Autosaves or customize them to your liking.

- You can reset "the world" after waiting or sleeping a month in game time. This will clear out copses, refill lootables and even make some cleared dungeons be revisitable. Making the file size go down.

-You don't have to say yes to every single misc quest. If you do, then finish it. Having a more focused game helps....Tho you should be able to do whatever you want to do.

" In summation, is it bad? Does Bethesda owe PS3 players a solution? Will they get one?" They have to at this point. One thing is to have framerate disparity between versions, another is for a version to virtually have an expiration date, that is seriously bad. If you need to wait, wait. If you have other platform options, take them. Good luck with your exams.

#24 Posted by Istealdreams (155 posts) -

I am @ 121 hours, and the worse thing that has happened to me was a daedric quest not completing until i reloaded my game. I have a fat 80g system. Oh, and my file size is 16MB.

#25 Posted by Mutley (300 posts) -

I just sold my PS3 version of Skyrim and ordered the 360 version from amazon.

I had no idea how terrible this version would be. Constant Frame-Rate drops and Shitastic lagging. And I only played it for 20 hours.

#26 Posted by thellama042 (111 posts) -

I've got over 100 hours into my main character. The game runs silky smooth until your save game hits about 8 or 9 MB, at which point the game will have framerate issues after about 2.5 hours of continuous play. This issue will be particularly noticeable in cities or more populated, open areas. I don't notice the issue as much in dungeons, presumably because it's not trying to load as much stuff all at once. One way to get around this is to restart your game when it starts happening. Not perfect, but it works. The 1.3 patch seems to have smoothed this over a tad, but it does still happen. I did have it completely lock-up a couple of times in Riften when I tried to turn in a quest, but I left the area and came back after doing a few other things and I had no problems after that.

Other than that, I can say that I haven't seen anything other than the typical jank that comes with a game this massive. I'll have to agree with @MadLeper that I haven't experienced nearly as many issues as some people seem to be reporting for the PS3 version.

#27 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Been playing 60+ hours on PS3 with no issues.

#28 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

I was pretty annoyed by the graphics glitch on 360, and extremely annoyed by my completed quest stuck in my journal, but this sounds like a nightmare for those it afflicts. The waiting a month every so often idea sounds like a good fix though. Has anybody tried that yet?

#29 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

Mine's fine, 140 or so hours in. It occasionally stops entirely, forcing me to restart the system. It's always annoying when it happens, but it doesn't happen often.

No framerate issues since the patch. No gamebreaking bugs, but I can't seem to get the weapon racks in my house to work, which is unfortunate.

Some people seem to have a run of bad luck though, running into far more bugs than I. So I'm not sure whether to recommend it or not, but as I said, it works fine for me, no more broken than any other version.

#30 Posted by SpencerTucksen (422 posts) -

40 hours down the line, you will be getting irritated by the lag and issues. 60 hours, you'll want to kill yourself. It's fine until 40, but after that, it's all downhill from there. I can't even play it anymore, it's like trying to play Powerpoint.

#31 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

It is not that bad, sure after 20 or so hours you may notice some slowdown, but by that point a patch will be out to fix it.

Does anybody know if when the patch gets released the size of the save files will decrease?

#32 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -
@MideonNViscera

I was pretty annoyed by the graphics glitch on 360, and extremely annoyed by my completed quest stuck in my journal, but this sounds like a nightmare for those it afflicts. The waiting a month every so often idea sounds like a good fix though. Has anybody tried that yet?

Ew, no. That sounds like a horrible solution when you can only wait 24 hours at a time.
#33 Posted by Castiel (2742 posts) -

No it's not that bad.

#34 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -
@Conker: Ok so I have the PS3 version and its really not that bad.  The last patch fixed the major framerate drops for me and I havent seen them ever since I downloaded the last patch.  I havent really experienced major gamebreaking problems and I think it only locked up for me once.  Im at 7 hours with an 11 MB save file and the horrendous lag that people have been talking about hasnt been present for me.  The framerate drops a little bit once in a while after I play for 4 hours but man, Im surprised people have been talking about all the problems because for the most part my game is fine
#35 Posted by DanNapolitano (8 posts) -

About 65 hours, I haven't had any major issues. I expect the frame rate to drop here and there considering how old the hardware is, but from what I'm hearing, the 360 is slowing at the same rate my system is. I even have the Auto Save feature set to five minutes.

I've tried alleviating slowdown by forcing the system to output at 720p, and it still looks great.

#36 Posted by mac_n_nina (272 posts) -

@Conker: It's different for everybody. Some people are experiencing issues and others are not. Luckily, I am one of those who is not experiencing any issues. I have a PS3 Slim with a 160gb HDD and about 100gb free of HDD space. Never had it crash on me or anything and also my save file is not getting significantly larger it does get larger by a tiny bit, but then when I save again it goes down.

#37 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

At the very start it's completely non-existent. There is nothing game breaking about Skyrim on the PS3 for the first let's say 30 hours, other than some of the glitches that are on every single platform.

HOWEVER when you start getting further in, like 60 hours and have save files at about 11 or so MB then it can really start acting up. The framerate will sometimes literally drop to zero at times and lock up for an instant. Sometimes it just freezes altogether. In some battles it will have drops to the point where the game becomes completely unplayable because you cannot react to what is happening, and when walking through a town the framerate will fluctuate dramatically. It can be alleviated by restarting the system every 2 or so hours, but that seems more like putting a band-aid on a surgical chest crack as far as I'm concerned. Like someone already said, you have to change the way you play to suit the faults inherently in the game.

That said it doesn't affect everyone. Estimates anywhere from 30%-50% of people are having problems. How many of them are legitimate complaints I can't say. But I do know that I do have Skyrim on the PS3 and the framerate issue is very much real and can, at times, simply frustrate you. You might end up playing something that is just faulty, plain and simple, or you might get lucky and have no problems. It's a complete crapshoot as of right now. Buy it if you want, but I'd suggest going with a different platform if you can. If you don't have another platform that you can get it on still get it, it really is an incredible game. However being incredible doesn't excuse it from it being, simply put, fucking broken at times. And if you choose not to deal with that then just continue to wait and see how Bethesda is supporting it. Their track record on the PS3 isn't exactly... good either, but this could be the one where they break that mold.

#38 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

@Conker: it's not as unplayable as people have been saying it is. For me, the experience has been fine (I'm playing on a launch PS3) the only part that was nearly unplayable was the opening sequence where the framerate hit single digits and it locked up on me

#39 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -

@jetsetwillie said:

It's nothing to do with the cell, the bulkiest of computers can have trouble running games if they are not coded/written correctly. This is a case of Bethesdas extremely poor QA department

#40 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

It's not a problem that everyone has at the same time. I wouldn't recommend anyone buying it on PS3, but if you're feeling lucky then by all means go for it. My friend said he hasn't had any major problems, but he hasn't done as much as I had when the problems started getting worse. Do what you think is best.

#41 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

@Galiant said:

@MideonNViscera

Ew, no. That sounds like a horrible solution when you can only wait 24 hours at a time.

It'd take like 5 minutes.

#42 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

@MideonNViscera said:

@Galiant said:

@MideonNViscera

It'd take like 5 minutes.

A second per "hour", plus the time it takes before the thing actually starts counting down the hours, you're looking at twelve minutes plus tax.

Horrible solution.

#43 Edited by Zor (667 posts) -

It is bad enough, that when anyone says that the game should easily* win GoTY, i feel the need to argue with them (since i haven't yet created a device that allows me to slap people through the internet).

It is still a good game, but it isn't as awesome as everyone seems to make it sound (I wouldn't vote for it for overall GoTY or even PS3 GoTY).

#44 Posted by Grimluck343 (1160 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

And some are saying that they'll never be able to fix it because it's an innate problem in the engine that was also present in New Vegas PS3. Very shitty for PS3 only owners.

I'm not sure we should take the word of a developer who never touched Skyrim as gospel. Bethesda has said that it's not one specific issue (like the split memory on the PS3) but the culmination of several smaller issues.

#45 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

Look, I think we know the moral of the story here: Dark Souls is the better game of the two. It deserves GOTY more than Skyrim, IMO. 

That might change when I play Skyward Sword though...

#46 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11406 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

Look, I think we know the moral of the story here: Dark Souls is the better game of the two. It deserves GOTY more than Skyrim, IMO. That might change when I play Skyward Sword though...

I haven't played Skyrim (yet) or Dark Souls, But Skyward Sword is pretty rad...Did freeze on me once though, and there is that known game breaking bug, so it isn't perfect either...but still!

#47 Posted by pjacobson21 (198 posts) -

I'm about 35 hours in, 9 mb or so save file, and I havent experienced anything new that wasn't there from the start.  I mean the game locked up on me about 30 minutes in and has locked up maybe twice more since so to me it seems like the problems exist regardless of my play time.  And I should point out the problems I've experienced have all been minor and nowhere near the level of jank I had in Fallout 3, a game I love and adore.

Right now the only thing that is really pissing me off is the complete lack of resistances since the l.2 patch.  I'm a friggen Nord!  However, this is not a PS3 exclusive issue and is set to be fixed in 1.3.

#48 Posted by StrainedEyes (1333 posts) -

I am 90 hours into my PS3 copy, I have had the reported issues but not to the degree that the game is broken, I've had an overall good experience. It occasionally gets laggy and locks up like all the versions do, but it is not unplayable.

#49 Posted by Conker (795 posts) -

@mac_n_nina: So then is it just an issue of the save file being too big and not having enough free space? Cause Im using the slim 320gb, and i have almost all of that free

#50 Posted by mac_n_nina (272 posts) -

@Conker said:

@mac_n_nina: So then is it just an issue of the save file being too big and not having enough free space? Cause Im using the slim 320gb, and i have almost all of that free

Not exactly. The save file gets too big like around 6-12mb and starts lagging the game, but like I said it's different for everyone because it hasn't happened to me and I know a few other PS3 slim users who also aren't having issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.