Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Is this game more fun on PC?

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By intro

Hey guys, I just ordered a PC that is capable of playing games decently (Well, hopefully. I've been trying to learn more about what's needed. AMD Athlon II X4 640 Quad Core Processor, Radeon HD 6770 1GB and 8GB of RAM should work, right?) Anyway, I've never really done any PC gaming and I'm excited to try it out, I've always owned a regular laptop. I've been playing Skyrim on my 360 and I enjoy it, but I hear The Elder Scrolls games have tons and tons of mods out which make the game better and more fun. Assuming I can get my save from my 360 to PC, as I heard Brad say it's possible on the Bombcast, I'll be playing a lot of Skyrim on PC.

Do you guys think playing Skyrim on PC is much better than consoles? I'm not talking about strictly graphics, but mainly in terms of entertainment and such.

Thanks!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn
    I downloaded a mod that gave me a Dragon Spawn button, I hit that button a few too many times... If you play on PC you will always be entertained.
    I downloaded a mod that gave me a Dragon Spawn button, I hit that button a few too many times... If you play on PC you will always be entertained.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Dude all those dragons are pretty awesome.

The game is still going to be a great time, and graphically you are going to get quite a boost in fidelity and overall performance. Hell you can even carry your 360 save over to PC so you can continue what you're already started. That is unless the man shut it down since then.

Anyway, Skyrim is an awesome game, and if you're wanting to play more of it, the PC version won't do you wrong.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By Justin258

It looks much better and the modding community ensures that you'll be dicking around with it long after you've gotten bored of the vanilla game. Does that make it worth the price of admission a second time? You'll have to research that one yourself.

Also, have you ever controlled a game with a mouse and keyboard? It's a world of difference in terms of how it works. Instead of using a controller like you might be tempted to, use Skyrim as a way to train yourself on it. You might thank me when you get Battlefield 3 and kick ass with the mouse instead of fiddling with an analog stick.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Grimluck343

The Construction Kit alone is worth playing this on the PC if you have the means.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By intro

@believer258 said:

It looks much better and the modding community ensures that you'll be dicking around with it long after you've gotten bored of the vanilla game. Does that make it worth the price of admission a second time? You'll have to research that one yourself.

Yeah, I definitely feel like I'll be able to play around with the game continue to have fun with it much longer with the mods and all that. That's based off what I've seen so far with the mods people post on Youtube. And I'm assuming there will be many more.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Capum15

I think so, due to all the mods and the random things you can do with the console (summoning 50 things to fight another group of 50 things, for instance).

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By intro

@Capum15 said:

I think so, due to all the mods and the random things you can do with the console (summoning 50 things to fight another group of 50 things, for instance).

That should be fun lol.

Dragon spawn button huh? Already more excited.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By alistercat

Depends how you feel about mods. The other advantage to PC is fixing glitches whenever they crop up but that doesn't have anything to do with fun, just cuts down on frustration.

I have a 33% off Skyrim voucher on Steam if you decide to buy it.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Intro: It's totally worth it. I built my very first computer just for this game. With the new high rez texture pack and the crazy amount of mods to install easily from the Steam workshop, you'd be crazy to play it on the console if you have a PC that can run it. Your specs look just fine, by the way.

Also, Bethesda puts out patches for the PC first which, arguably, is a good thing.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @believer258 said:

Also, have you ever controlled a game with a mouse and keyboard? It's a world of difference in terms of how it works. Instead of using a controller like you might be tempted to, use Skyrim as a way to train yourself on it. You might thank me when you get Battlefield 3 and kick ass with the mouse instead of fiddling with an analog stick.

There are even mods out there that make the UI more mouse and keyboard friendly (and much more functional than vanilla), although, if it just isn't working for you, a 360 controller will just fine as it does with just about every game these days.
    intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By intro

@bonorbitz said:

@Intro: It's totally worth it. I built my very first computer just for this game. With the new high rez texture pack and the crazy amount of mods to install easily from the Steam workshop, you'd be crazy to play it on the console if you have a PC that can run it. Your specs look just fine, by the way.

Awesome man. And thanks for letting me know about the specs. I didn't plan on getting something amazing, I just want something I could play some games on PC and see if I like it. Then in the future I can upgrade or build a better one if I want.

Patching sooner seems like a reason to play on PC alone, in my opinion. Glitches are things that ruin RPGs, especially on consoles. I even gave up on Fallout 3 because of it having so many places where it would just crash on my 360.

Also, has anyone tried the Skyrim 360 to PC save file thing? When I buy the game on Steam should it work on okay? I don't want to be doing anything where I could be banned or fuck up my account if/when I make one.

Yeah, I'm gonna try out mouse and keyboard and if I'm not liking it I'll just use my 360 controller.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

It's a massive difference. They're barely even the same game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Justin258

@Intro said:

Yeah, I'm gonna try out mouse and keyboard and if I'm not liking it I'll just use my 360 controller.

That's the thing, though. If you're anything like me, you'll hate it at first. Once you get used to it, you might sometimes prefer it, but those first few days with an M + K were rough when I first started fiddling with PC games.

It winds up being better for anything in a first person perspective, though.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By intro

Well thanks again guys, I'm excited to start playing. May even replay Oblivion for the hell of it. I need to buy a monitor too, would a TV work until then, with HDMI?

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Capum15
    @Intro: Yeah, if your machine can handle it, you can set up some pretty large battles.

But then there are the huge mods out there that just make it better. For instance, Midas' Magic was a mod for Oblivion that added some 130+ spells to the game, and this one's up to about 50-ish. With " Wars in Skyrim", I've noticed more bandits, animals and such roaming around, and then there's the Tytanis Mod which is just insane. It's a group of some modders, recently included the guy from Midas' Magic, that's pretty much giving Skyrim an overhaul and attempting to put in some Multiplayer.

And the mod list should grow pretty well since the Creation Kit came out earlier in the month.

Oh...oh my, WARZONES is now in Skyrim. I had noticed it for New Vegas, but had no idea the guy put it up for Skyrim. Well, I guess I need to go play Skyrim now.
    jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By jasondaplock

@Intro said:

Well thanks again guys, I'm excited to start playing. May even replay Oblivion for the hell of it. I need to buy a monitor too, would a TV work until then, with HDMI?

For some a TV works better than a monitor regardless. If it's a 1080p screen, of course.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@jasondaplock said:

@Intro said:

For some a TV works better than a monitor regardless. If it's a 1080p screen, of course.

TV>Monitor. I tried playing dirt 2 on my tv and havent hooked it back into monitor in over a year. I sit about 3 away from my 40 inch. Couch all the way, plus this game was designed for a Xbox controller theirs even a slowdown perk with archery that makes aiming super easy.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#19  Edited By Lazyaza

Valve put the Space Sphere from Portal 2 in Skyrim, as a mod, with new dialogue recorded by Nolan North. Has any game company in the history of time ever made a mod for another companies game along with a feature upgrade for their own distribution platform that further allows mods to be more readily and easily available? I mean crap I'm not as nuts about Skyrim as most people but the PC version is a god damn phenomenom at this point.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hunkulese

Do you like your women clean?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Go to 08:25 and watch. Wait for the ending of that battle.
    You're welcome!  
    c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By c_rakestraw

@Lazyaza said:

Valve put the Space Sphere from Portal 2 in Skyrim, as a mod, with new dialogue recorded by Nolan North. Has any game company in the history of time ever made a mod for another companies game along with a feature upgrade for their own distribution platform that further allows mods to be more readily and easily available? I mean crap I'm not as nuts about Skyrim as most people but the PC version is a god damn phenomenom at this point.

They actually recorded new dialog? Oh man. I really need to upgrade my PC so I can play Skyrim on it. I need to try that Space Sphere mod.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By intro

Glad to hear a TV will be good.

And wow, the mods look like a blast.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Chemin

Are there mods? Yes. Does that bring more value? Yes. Does it run better? Yes. Do patches arrive quicker? Yes. Is it cheaper? Probably. Can you play with a controller if you really want to? Yes. Can you hook your PC up to a TV and play from the sofa if you want to? Yes.

Yes. Skyrim is more fun, and better, on the PC, and easily the go-to choice for anyone with a machine to run it. If anyone disagrees, that person is a strange creature.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mikemcn

@Intro: Technically it's a Dragon Spawning Pull Chain, but button is more to the point, it's in the Arena III Mod, but i'm sure other mods have similar features.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ChaosDent
    @Chemin said:

Are there mods? Yes. Does that bring more value? Yes. Does it run better? Yes. Do patches arrive quicker? Yes. Is it cheaper? Probably. Can you play with a controller if you really want to? Yes. Can you hook your PC up to a TV and play from the sofa if you want to? Yes.

Yes. Skyrim is more fun, and better, on the PC, and easily the go-to choice for anyone with a machine to run it. If anyone disagrees, that person is a strange creature.

I agree. To put it in other words, it is the same game with more choice. You can use that choice to remove some barriers to enjoyment, like long load times and clumsy controls, and you can choose to enhance the things that are already fun or add new content and systems. In some ways, you take out what you put in to the system in terms of research and headaches with mods ( though Steam Workshop is a great step in the right direction ). At the very least it can't be any less fun than the console versions.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Spoonman671

More fun?  No, not really.  More convenient?  Yeah, probably.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tim_the_corsair

If you have a good PC and access to a 360 controller where necessary, all games are better on PC.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CheapPoison

Yes.. yes it is!

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By benspyda

I really enjoyed it on 360. That being said the PC version is where it is at. Also if you want to try your hand at the creation kit you can make your own levels and modify world however you want. I put a secret dungeon behind a waterfall near whiterun because why not.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#31  Edited By Lazyaza

@C_Rakestraw: Yeah he'll make comments about some random stuff you do if you have him close by.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By intro

@benspyda said:

I really enjoyed it on 360. That being said the PC version is where it is at. Also if you want to try your hand at the creation kit you can make your own levels and modify world however you want. I put a secret dungeon behind a waterfall near whiterun because why not.

Yeah sounds fun.

It's going to be shipped tomorrow, hopefully I'll get it by Friday. I'm so excited I feel like a kid before Christmas.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Intro: My only advice is not to install a thousand mods at once. You'll break the game like that. Take it slow with the mods, install up to 5 at a time, run the game and test them, see how you like them, and then get more.  
    I know and have seen a lot of people who dread soaking their Skyrim in mods. 
    intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By intro

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Intro: My only advice is not to install a thousand mods at once. You'll break the game like that. Take it slow with the mods, install up to 5 at a time, run the game and test them, see how you like them, and then get more. I know and have seen a lot of people who dread soaking their Skyrim in mods.

I don't plan on having a bunch at once. I've been looking at some and just plan on using a few at the moment.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By mosdl

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Intro: My only advice is not to install a thousand mods at once. You'll break the game like that. Take it slow with the mods, install up to 5 at a time, run the game and test them, see how you like them, and then get more. I know and have seen a lot of people who dread soaking their Skyrim in mods.

The new beta patch notes say that mod loading order support is now included. Not sure if that is manual or set by mods, but that should help resolve issues.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By intro

So I'm more than likely getting my PC and monitor (if not the monitor that's fine, since I have my TV still). However, my keyboard and mouse won't be here until Saturday/Monday, FML lol. I'll probably just buy them at Walmart and take them back when I get my ordered ones in the mail.

muktor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By muktor

its better on PC Since you can use console commands

ripsaw117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ripsaw117

You should ALWAYS buy your multiplats on PC... its just a better experience.

commodore64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By commodore64

Does this answer your question?

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hemmelight

@believer258 said:

That's actually exactly what I'm doing. I installed BF3 awhile ago on my iMac but it can just run it on low settings so and I've always been a playstation guy so I fail at KB+M controls.

So now I'm training myself with Skyrim for when I can build a gaming PC and play BF3 for real.

Stache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Stache

Personally, due to the customizability alone, I could never see playing this game on a console. It just feels wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.