Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

I've been hearing many vague moanings about the UI...

bluesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bluesun

...and I'm wondering how I'm going to fare as a RPG/Elderscrolls noob. I'm about to kick off in the next few days...

Is it something that most live with, but pisses off the more seasoned players; or 
    Is this something everyone is breathing fire about?

(If you answer the latter... feel free to offer some UI mod suggestions).

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

It looks really nice, but is streamlined in a way that can make it more difficult for some people to navigate. On PC there are some bugs, like miss clicking slightly and being thrown out of a menu, or sync being lost between what your mouse should be selecting and what is selected in the UI.

I have no problem with the streamlined elements. Unlike oblivion it doesn't list out everything with columns for weight, attack/defence etc but I don't feel like it needs to. There is a UI mod for this on Skyrim Nexus that makes it more like Oblivion's. Try it out (by that I mean the default UI) and if you feel you are fighting against it use a mod.

Edit: Pro tip, don't bring up the steam overlay while talking to someone. You will get stuck in the conversation window for 5 minutes.

jdeano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jdeano

Depends on the platform, is a little clunky, but you can kinda deal with it on the console versions. With you talking about UI mods, I'm guessing you're on the PC, in which case it's a typical Console to PC UI jobbie, bit unintuitive, same story as the PC version of Oblivion (or any Bethesda RPG post-Morrowind). Haven't looked into UI modding yet unfortunately.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp

If you play with a mouse it's supposedly clunky.

I'm playing it on the PC with a gamepad and its really good.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FunExplosions

No, the UI is god awful, and way worse on the PC. Don't listen to the above guys. I mean, you definitely can get used to it within an hour or two, but you won't stop bumping into inconveniences. A mod was released that brings everything anyone could want to an inventory screen, though. SkyUI is great; it lists the name, weight, value, whether it's stolen or not, as well as lets you sort by each of these categories, both ascending and descending, and allows you to only search for "x" kind of item. It's fantastic, and it's still being heavily worked on, so it'll keep getting better.

I mean, I was in the boat of being fine with the default UI, too, but as soon as you install something that was actually made for function rather than aesthetics, you'll see the difference. As opposed to having to scroll through two hundred Potions of Resist Shock to get to the 3 health potions you want, you can just open the inventory up and instantly click it and be done with it.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Matfei90

I love the aesthetics of it, but it was a pain to use with a mouse, mostly due to the cursor and selection lag.

However since I prefer to use a controller for it, it's a non-issue for me. And I find it's a great UI for a controller.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude
    @FunExplosions: I'm playing Skyrim on my Xbox 360 and I really like the UI. It flows pretty well for me. Even during combat, I find it very fluid. I keep my extra stash in separate containers in my house. My miscellaneous stuff has four containers; Smithing, Soul Gems, Dragon Bones/ Scales, and then the miscellaneous of the miscellaneous.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McGhee

It's perfectly fine. Just don't carry around too much junk you don't actually use. You don't need all those really long lists of items to go through all the time.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @McGhee said:

It's perfectly fine. Just don't carry around too much junk you don't actually use. You don't need all those really long lists of items to go through all the time.

This.
    If you hoard, you're bound to go crazy when looking for one specific thing.
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By JCTango

After a while, you may get used to the UI (I did - oh, and I use mouse + keyboard =)). It still irks me sometimes, but it's not THAT bad, to me, anyways. Like and mentioned, try to go minimalist in terms of inventory and you'll be fine.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By huntad

I've heard the majority of the complaints from PC players that use the mouse and keyboard. Use a controller and it'll work fine. I didn't have any problems.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Vigilance

On PC, it works great if you can train your brain to navigate the menu using WASD.

If you try mouse clicking, it's clunky, but bearable.

Still, the whole "it's not a PC UI" makes me chuckle. Doesn't get more PC than WASD baby!

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JCTango

@Vigilance: Yeah, that's what I do too :D. Using the mouse to navigate inventory just messes everything up, it seems.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Christoffer

@FunExplosions said:

A mod was released that brings everything anyone could want to an inventory screen, though. SkyUI is great;

I agree to this. SkyUI is a lifesaver when your inventory gets cluttered. Especially the search field (wich by the way broke recently for me. But I guess they'll fix it soon).

It has a few more steps to get working, but it's nothing too difficult.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By armaan8014

nah its really easy just use the arrow keys and the "E" key

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.