I`ve tried but failed to like this game

• 91 results
Posted by Chojin (109 posts) -

So I just finished the main quest and I`m confused as hell. Everyone seems to be talking about GOTY, even greatest game of this generation. I say it`s not even RPG of the year. Not even close.

The Witcher 2 excels in every single way when it comes to establishing a believable world with interesting characters, while Dark Souls pretty much perfected this type of action oriented combat.

I really want to love this game as much as everyone else and I`ve really tried to, but the writing is so bad, so basic compared to games like the Witcher 1 & 2 or the Mass Effect series, that I cannot for one second believe that this is a real world with real people. I cringed through most of the dialogue, and had a very hard time feeling motivated to save anyone from evil. And the combat.. I mean, after playing Dark Souls for 60 hours, I don`t even know what to say. Sloppy, random and unbelievably unsatisfying, I guess.

So without the writing, the combat or the motivation to save the world, I`m left with exploring a huge open world, 160 generic, strangely (perhaps magically) lit dungeons and countless cut n paste, fantasy 101 fetch/kill quests. I guess this is what attracts people. I was bored to death after five.

Finally, I had to download Fallout 3 Mod Manager and extract some voice files to be able to get a certain NPC to even talk to me. And near the end I had to access the console and use no clip mode to get through a door that wouldn’t open. And that`s just the two bugs that would`ve prevented me from even finishing the main quest. Acceptable by a GOTY contender? Absolutely 100% not.

#1 Posted by Chojin (109 posts) -

So I just finished the main quest and I`m confused as hell. Everyone seems to be talking about GOTY, even greatest game of this generation. I say it`s not even RPG of the year. Not even close.

The Witcher 2 excels in every single way when it comes to establishing a believable world with interesting characters, while Dark Souls pretty much perfected this type of action oriented combat.

I really want to love this game as much as everyone else and I`ve really tried to, but the writing is so bad, so basic compared to games like the Witcher 1 & 2 or the Mass Effect series, that I cannot for one second believe that this is a real world with real people. I cringed through most of the dialogue, and had a very hard time feeling motivated to save anyone from evil. And the combat.. I mean, after playing Dark Souls for 60 hours, I don`t even know what to say. Sloppy, random and unbelievably unsatisfying, I guess.

So without the writing, the combat or the motivation to save the world, I`m left with exploring a huge open world, 160 generic, strangely (perhaps magically) lit dungeons and countless cut n paste, fantasy 101 fetch/kill quests. I guess this is what attracts people. I was bored to death after five.

Finally, I had to download Fallout 3 Mod Manager and extract some voice files to be able to get a certain NPC to even talk to me. And near the end I had to access the console and use no clip mode to get through a door that wouldn’t open. And that`s just the two bugs that would`ve prevented me from even finishing the main quest. Acceptable by a GOTY contender? Absolutely 100% not.

#2 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

The Witcher 2 is a great game isn't it? I just finished it and it was great!

Although I have to say personally Skyrim is one of my favorite games of all time, not everyone has to like every game hah. There have been many games everyone loves that I do not like. All just about preference really, sorry it wasn't for you.

#3 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Open world rpgs will never be able to tell as good a story as a highly linear rpg like the Witcher 2 (which also had mostly fetch/kill quests btw).

Mass Effect barely qualifies as a RPG anymore honestly.

#4 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I loved the first Witcher, but couldn't get into Witcher 2. I love everything there is about Skyrim though. Weird how that works out.

#5 Edited by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

Different strokes for different folks. I myself enjoy the heck out of Skyrim and will probably call it my game of the year while simultaneously I was mostly underwhelmed by the Witcher 2 despite it being a pretty good game.

#6 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

@mosdl said:

Open world rpgs will never be able to tell as good a story as a highly linear rpg like the Witcher 2 (which also had mostly fetch/kill quests btw).

Well said on all points. Skyrim is as open as they get really and with all those options for exploration, you get less in areas like story. The Witcher 2 is more like a on rails shooter to me. I can't stand that at all. I've always been one of those guys who has to jump along invisible walls to try and see if I get glitch past. Mass Effect is more of a interactive novel than an RPG.

@Chojin: What makes me love Skyrim so much is that open world I can explore. Some people focus on combat and if a game doesn't have really good combat, they don't like that game. If the combat is good, they don't worry too much about the story. Some people focus on story. If that story isn't good then they don't like the game. If the story is good they don't care about the combat as much, as long as it's functional. Some people (like myself) wan't an open world to explore. As long as we get that, we'll let the combat and story slide.

Then there are people with impossibly high expectations of all of those things. You can't please everyone.

#7 Posted by Chojin (109 posts) -

@matthias2437 said:

All just about preference really, sorry it wasn't for you.

Me too:( Feels like I`m missing out.

@mosdl said:

True, but I meant the overall quality when it comes to dialogue and story.

#8 Posted by Hemmelight (164 posts) -

Am I a bad person because I didn't like Mass Effect at all?

I just have no interest in Sci-Fi spacey-ness for a game. Also it was mad boring for me.

#9 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@Chojin said:

@matthias2437 said:

I'm sure we all have some popular game we don't like that everyone else does, and that is probably a good thing. Personally I found Gears of Wars and Borderlands boring.

#10 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

@mosdl: Wait, you did not like Borderlands? That crosses a fucking line! You are just bad at life!

P.s. Sarcasm.

P.p.s.But seriously Borderlands is amazing.

#11 Posted by Jimbo_N (1197 posts) -

You probably should have saved your money. Bethesda has, not even once, tried to satisfy the needs you are looking for even once since starting this genre waaaay back..Immersion is the keyword you are looking for and its clearly not in your gaming registry, Um.. too bad for you I guess? or not! Play what u feel like playing man.

#12 Posted by Chojin (109 posts) -

@Jams said:

@Chojin: What makes me love Skyrim so much is that open world I can explore. Some people focus on combat and if a game doesn't have really good combat, they don't like that game. If the combat is good, they don't worry too much about the story. Some people focus on story. If that story isn't good then they don't like the game. If the story is good they don't care about the combat as much, as long as it's functional. Some people (like myself) wan't an open world to explore. As long as we get that, we'll let the combat and story slide.

Then there are people with impossibly high expectations of all of those things. You can't please everyone.

Well said and very true. Yes, I guess the exploring part is what makes most people crazy about this game. Thing is I love the concept of an open world fantasy game. Love the idea of exploring a world with dragons roaming the skies. Guess I loved the storytelling in The Witcher and the combat in the Souls games TOO much, and it ruined Skyrim for me;p

#13 Posted by Dave_442 (52 posts) -

@Chojin: You basically summed up my experience with Oblivion, which is why I' avoided picking up Skyrim so far.

I really want to get Rayman: Origins but all the talk about Skyrim is making it hard to resist...

#14 Edited by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

I think that Skyrim is greater than the sum of it's parts. With that said, some of it's parts are very, very, very, very shitty.  

Not GOTY-caliber but certainly a Top 10 contender for me. 

#15 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

After a couple of hours I mentioned I felt the game feels strangely hollow. Just finished the main quest and some side stuff like the companions and I have to say I still feel that way.

I still dont feel immersed, Dont care about my character at all or about the world and its denizens in general. I enjoy playing it but in a very superficial way.

#16 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

@Chojin said:

So I just finished the main quest.

There's your problem.

#17 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

The writing really brings this game down. Even some of the writing decisions, like record the same lines by different actors...

#18 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@matthias2437 said:

@mosdl: Wait, you did not like Borderlands? That crosses a fucking line! You are just bad at life!

P.s. Sarcasm.

P.p.s.But seriously Borderlands is amazing.

Heh, the combat got boring after 20 hours and I stopped playing it. I hope they improve it in the sequel.

@jozzy said:

After a couple of hours I mentioned I felt the game feels strangely hollow. Just finished the main quest and some side stuff like the companions and I have to say I still feel that way. I still dont feel immersed, Dont care about my character at all or about the world and its denizens in general. I enjoy playing it but in a very superficial way.

Curious - what are your thoughts on (or did you even play) other open-world rpgs?

#19 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

We need more posts like this. I love Skyrim, but it's good to see people take their time to explain why they don't like a game. I won't know how awesome The Witcher 2 is until it's released on consoles next year.

#20 Edited by spazmaster666 (1967 posts) -

I would say the combat in The Witcher 2 was nearly as clumsy as Skyrim's melee combat (btw I think Skyrim actually has some great ranged/magic combat) and I disagree that the story was that engaging either. Not to mention, as other have said, aside from the main quest, there really weren't any meaningful things to do in The Witcher 2. As for Dark Souls, sure it had great combat, but it's a game that basically is based upon repetition and memorization. And the long-lasting appeal of Dark Souls relies on your desire to play the game multiple times (i.e. sure I played 80 hours of Dark Souls, but only about 20 of those hours were on my first playthrough, and if I wasn't going for achievements or completion-ism I probably would have stopped playing the game). IMO, while Skyrim has it's flaws and certainly a lot of bugs/glitches that should have been addressed, I would argue it's fundamentally no more flawed than either the Witcher 2 or Dark Souls, and definitely has an inherent long-lasting appeal that both of those games lack.

#21 Posted by ADAMWD (591 posts) -

I really enjoyed what I played of Dark Souls (about 15 hours or so), and I love Skyrim. I don't get why people say the combat in Dark Souls is so much better than Skyrim. I played a purely melee character in both, and in both games, the combat at their cores are simply, block then attack until the enemy is dead. Or in Dark Souls parry the attack and then strike. Which you can also do to extent in Skyrim if you put some perks into your Block skill. The only difference in the melee combat between the two games is that in Dark Souls you can roll, and the actual controls are a little more clunky and awkward.

Not everyone will like every game, but no one can say Skyrim, Witcher 2, Dark Souls, or any of the other great games released this year are bad games. It's just that the concepts that make those respective games good can't be aspects that all people want in their video games.

#22 Edited by Catarrhal (835 posts) -

Skyrim should not be considered a GOTY contender; it's true. Although I suspect Mr. Shoemaker may argue this next month. The harsh truth of the matter is that no Bethesda game should ever be considered a GOTY candidate, on the sole basis that their games are inextricably bug-ridden disasters.

During last year's GOTY podcast, Ryan Davis curtly ruled out Bayonetta from winning anything "because the PS3 version is garbage." Well, in the case of Skyrim, both the PS3 and Xbox versions are garbage; it's simply not considered newsworthy because we're all accustomed to it by now (Patrick Klepek acknowledged this recently).

Seriously, Catherine was built on the same cursed Gamebryo engine, and that game actually works; if anything, Atlus deserves a goddamn reward, not Bethesda.

#23 Posted by wewantsthering (1567 posts) -

You lost me when you said Dark Souls perfected combat...

#24 Posted by Chojin (109 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

You lost me when you said Dark Souls perfected combat...

Well, in Dark Souls I have total control. When the first dragon appeared in Skyrim I instinctively wanted to lock on, roll out of the way of his fire attack, approach with my shield up, attack and roll away. What happened was he landed on top of me, I mashed the button for 20 seconds and he died.

@ADAMWD said:

Not everyone will like every game, but no one can say Skyrim, Witcher 2, Dark Souls, or any of the other great games released this year are bad games. It's just that the concepts that make those respective games good can't be aspects that all people want in their video games.

Amen:) Skyrim isn’t a bad game. I don’t think so either. It`s just that I look at metacritic and really don’t think it’s THAT good.

#25 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

Skyrim should not be considered a GOTY contender; it's true. Although I suspect Mr. Shoemaker may argue this next month. The harsh truth of the matter is that no Bethesda game should ever be considered a GOTY candidate, on the sole basis that their games are inextricably bug-ridden disasters.

During last year's GOTY podcast, Ryan Davis curtly ruled out Bayonetta from winning anything "because the PS3 version is garbage." Well, in the case of Skyrim, both the PS3 and Xbox versions are garbage; it's simply not considered newsworthy because we're all accustomed to it by now (Patrick Klepek acknowledged this recently).

Seriously, Catherine was built on the same cursed Gamebryo engine, and that game actually works; if anything, Atlus deserves a goddamn reward, not Bethesda.

It's not that buggy on the Xbox 360. Sure, I'm playing off the disk, but have had no problems at all. I want to play it every time I turn on my Xbox 360. Should be a good debate.

#26 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

Almost 50 hours into PC Skyrim and I have yet to run into any game-breaking bugs. A couple of crashes, but I had Uncharted 2 crash and that was GOTY. The 360 texture issue shouldn't disqualify as it doesn't affect how the game plays, just how it looks.

#27 Edited by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@mosdl said:

@jozzy said:

After a couple of hours I mentioned I felt the game feels strangely hollow. Just finished the main quest and some side stuff like the companions and I have to say I still feel that way. I still dont feel immersed, Dont care about my character at all or about the world and its denizens in general. I enjoy playing it but in a very superficial way.

Curious - what are your thoughts on (or did you even play) other open-world rpgs?

Well, let's just focus on bethesda open world games, I have played them all to some extent. I have to say Arena blew me away, but that was because it was a different time where this type of game was just unbelievable. I was less of a fan of the ones that came after that I have to admit. Let me try to explain why I feel the world is hollow in Skyrim especially.

The world outside is pretty cool. Nature is pretty nicely done, but not a lot really happens there to be honest. Inside is where it really breaks down for me. All "dungeons" are so freaking lineair and gamey. Am I supposed to believe it's a real keep when there is only one way to go every time, with a barred door I know I am going to end up at the end of the keep. See, I said end of a keep, end of keep ... really? That's how pretty much all the caves, mines, fortresses and whatever are. How can you have a believable world when it's impossible to get lost. Most of the dungeons have been pretty boring with pretty boring loot, samey looks and boring enemies with no real climax whatsoever. I can count on one hand the amount of dungeons I completed where I thought: wow, this was amazing and I got some really cool stuff and/or story out of it.

Then there is the NPC's. For every moment they behave somehow believable there are 10 where the script screws up so badly it's just painful. And then we have the 90% of the NPC's that I tried to kill and I can't because they are important. Guess what, I want to kill them BECAUSE they are important, who cares about the random npc in the street with no dialog.

With Arena you had your imagination to fill in so many gaps. This game hints at an immersive believable world with it's good looks and many systems but all these systems feel gamey and underdeveloped in the end.

Ok,I went a bit on a rant here. I don't think this is a bad game at all, but I don't think it's an amazing open world like others seem to think.

#28 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@ADAMWD said:

I really enjoyed what I played of Dark Souls (about 15 hours or so), and I love Skyrim. I don't get why people say the combat in Dark Souls is so much better than Skyrim. I played a purely melee character in both, and in both games, the combat at their cores are simply, block then attack until the enemy is dead. Or in Dark Souls parry the attack and then strike. Which you can also do to extent in Skyrim if you put some perks into your Block skill. The only difference in the melee combat between the two games is that in Dark Souls you can roll, and the actual controls are a little more clunky and awkward.

Well, maybe I am playing Skyrim wrong but II am just wailing on my enemy till he doesn't stand up anymore. I only block sometimes because I feel like I need to get the skill up. Try playing Dark Souls like that.

Only one of the myriad of differences in the combat systems. Maybe they have some similar movesets, but the balance and the feel of the combat couldn't be more different.

#29 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

That is interesting, I am having a easy time getting immersed. For me its probably that I lived in a cold, snowy area for a while.

I just watched the Morrowind Dave/Jeff videos and it seems the dungeons were pretty linear as well back then. There are some Skyrim dungeons where there are alternate paths leading to a non-quest area (usually shouts), but not many. I like the "barred door" concept for its simplicity, but yeah it is gamey. I do agree that the immersion is much stronger in the outside world.

#30 Edited by spazmaster666 (1967 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

That's because Catherine is about a linear a game as you can get these days. No matter how robust an engine is, it's going to cause glitches and bugs in any open world games because it's simply impossible for a developer to account for all the possible combinations of ai scripting, player actions, animation priorites etc. that can happen in a game like Skyrim or Oblivion. When you can control pretty much where the player is allowed to go and what the player is allowed to do in any given situation (i.e. like in Uncharted 3 for instance) then the potential for glitches and bugs is small. When you really can't do that (i.e. like in Skyrim) then the potential for glitches is pretty big. Maybe if Bethesda had another year to work on the game, Skyrim wouldn't have any many glitches as it would, or maybe not. Some bugs you just can't fix without people first discovering them. Hence the purpose of patches.

#31 Edited by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

I don't know why people care what the Giantbomb crew pick as their game of the year, it's their pick not yours. Not that I care, but I'm pretty sure Skyrim will win their GOTY, just based off the the way they talk about it on the podcast. None of them dislike it and most seem to think it genuinely great it some way, and in the end it's a consensus vote. None of them finished The Witcher 2 so it'll probably get some sort of courtesy nod, maybe even best PC game, but it's not going to get GOTY. Really you comparing the two games is fallacy anyways The Witcher is despite it's divergent paths a relatively linear and focused experience. It does what it does well, even great but it's not a open world game with a lot of customization, you're always going to be Geralt. I played through all of the Witcher and played through the Witcher 2 twice to see both sides of the story, and yeah I agree with you it's an awesome game, but it's not going to win the "Giantbomb" GOTY so get over it.

I don't understand peoples need to act derisively to games that other people like, people have their preferences leave it alone. If it's not clicking for you then that's fine, move on, 60 dollars isn't really that much of an investment. Odds are you pirated it anyways.

Edit: Also of note is that thinking you've the ability to write something off after playing only minute portion of it is ridiculous, if you want to truly level some genuine criticism against something you should play it through to completion.

#32 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@Chojin: I think I said something similar to the effect elsewhere on the forums but TBH OP the reason people are considering this as the best RPG of the year is mostly because it's being played by a lot of people who don't really play RPGs, and it's designed with that in mind. I don't want to sound mean but on a mechanical level the game has kind of a "my first rpg" feel to it, but it's not really a bad thing. It's still engaging and fun but yes I tend to agree with you about how generic it is compared to the many other RPGs that have came out this year, but those a lot more dense and require thought where as Skyrim can be played effectively by running around poking things with a sword for the most part. I don't want to sound mean because I have already sunk like 50 hours into the game or so (I love explorin' those generic 160 caves man) but I think it's pretty obvious why people think it's GOTY/best rpg ever etc.
#33 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@Claude said:

I loved the first Witcher, but couldn't get into Witcher 2. I love everything there is about Skyrim though. Weird how that works out.

The Claude speaks the truth, though I've never played either Witcher. Stoked for Witcher 2 to come to consoles though.

#34 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

I originally thought it was fantastic but 50 hours in... like, I don't care about anyone in this world. The companions have zero personality, none of the side characters have interesting backstories or characterization, and the main story characters aren't that much better. I definitely felt more with Witcher 2 and Catherine, for example, so they're going ahead of skyrim.

#35 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Claude said:

The Claude speaks the truth, though I've never played either Witcher. Stoked for Witcher 2 to come to consoles though.

The Witcher 2 plays will with an analog pad on the PC. I just need a better PC. Opinions and choice are hard.

#36 Edited by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

It's immersive because strangers on the street telling me to "Visit Warmaiden's for the best equipment in all the land" is just like when strangers on the street in real life tell me to "Visit Walgreen's for the best Vicoden in all the land."

It's believable because when I break into strangers houses in real life and I'm caught, my first thought is to ask the occupant of the house, "How is your marriage" without any context of who they are or where they are in life.

It's epic because after doing two favors for a stranger, I'm usually invited into the inner circle of his ancient cult and is given intimate, sacred things hidden away from the world.

#37 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -

@Chojin:

And in my first random dragon encounter I used a rock to block the fire breath attack, stepped out around it and managed to put a half dozen arrows in him as he turned his attention to a nearby bear. Then he took off, had another arrow hit him as he tried to make his way out causing him to come crashing back down, now apparently flightless a few poisoned arrows finished the job as I very narrowly survived a full breath attack.

I watched a buddy fight a dragon and he used a ward to survive the fire breath(which looks pretty damn cool) and then ice lanced him as it circled overhead, finishing the job after using a dragon shout to knock him out of the air during a strafing attempt.

For me the open-world aspect is huge, and this is easily my GOTY. I haven't experienced the bugs in any meaningful fashion, nor have any of the "major gamebreaking problems" that people seem to love to point out even bothered me to the point of noticing. The Witcher 2 didn't grab me at all, and I found the fetch quests more annoying there than in a bigger open world where any small diversion can turn into an hour of exploring just for the sake of doing so, not to mention the fact that Skyrim also has more than it's share of interesting and meaningful non-fetch quests as well. Overall the witcher 2 was a very fun game, but in my opinion Skyrim is the better RPG. Funny how that works. Skyrim has a lot of tough competition(Portal 2, Batman, BF3&MW3, Saints 3, Uncharted 3, LA Noir, the list continues), but as "the next elder scrolls game" it is excellent in every way it should be. I think it's very unique in that each person will experience the game differently, if it didn't grab you it's a shame, but this has been a great year, with plenty for everyone to enjoy.

#38 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

One of the "themes" of the year is game linearity it seems. I think for me, after playing pretty linear rpgs (Dragon Age 2, Witcher 2, Deus Ex), Skyrim probably feels fresher (plus its the last to release).

But man, what a good year for RPGs (minus DA2).

#39 Posted by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

@Zenaxzd said:

@Chojin: I think I said something similar to the effect elsewhere on the forums but TBH OP the reason people are considering this as the best RPG of the year is mostly because it's being played by a lot of people who don't really play RPGs, and it's designed with that in mind. I don't want to sound mean but on a mechanical level the game has kind of a "my first rpg" feel to it, but it's not really a bad thing. It's still engaging and fun but yes I tend to agree with you about how generic it is compared to the many other RPGs that have came out this year, but those a lot more dense and require thought where as Skyrim can be played effectively by running around poking things with a sword for the most part. I don't want to sound mean because I have already sunk like 50 hours into the game or so (I love explorin' those generic 160 caves man) but I think it's pretty obvious why people think it's GOTY/best rpg ever etc.

I don't know what dense complex rpgs you're talking about, but basically every complex party based wrpg I've played ever can be beaten quite easily, by making you're main character a heavily melee spec'd warrior and "poking things with a sword". Sure you'll run into some trouble along the way, but eventually by spending ever increasing amounts of credits,gold,rupees w/e on your super dudes super gear you can pretty much cool aid man even the toughest encounters with decent party make up. I went through all of the Witcher 2 as an entirely swordsman flavored Geralt and tore through that game even on higher difficulties, the only semi hard parts are early on when you're hamstrung by your lack of good perks. Honestly the inverse difficult curve made for a kind of stilted experience if just taken on it's own.

Maybe you're referring to jrpgs, I can't comment on the subject since I've little experience with them.

#40 Posted by ADAMWD (591 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@ADAMWD said:

Well, maybe I am playing Skyrim wrong but II am just wailing on my enemy till he doesn't stand up anymore. I only block sometimes because I feel like I need to get the skill up. Try playing Dark Souls like that.

Only one of the myriad of differences in the combat systems. Maybe they have some similar movesets, but the balance and the feel of the combat couldn't be more different.

You're right in that they are two totally different styles of combat. What makes the combat in Dark Souls fun is that you have to always be on your toes, as every encounter is a true battle for life or death. In Skyrim, if you don't have the difficulty set higher than Adept, after a while the combat will just be you wailing on your enemies. If you want you can take a more methodical approach to the combat system, using a combination of blocking, power attack, combat perks, and dragon shouts. What's nice about the combat in Skyrim is that you have the option to be a mage, warrior, or rogue, and that all three character types work well within the game. You can turn into a full blown stealth experience if you want, and I think the fact that the world and design allows this versatility in combat is what keeps the gameplay aspect of Skyrim from feeling derivative.

#41 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@ADAMWD said:

You can turn into a full blown stealth experience if you want, and I think the fact that the world and design allows this versatility in combat is what keeps the gameplay aspect of Skyrim from feeling derivative.

That seems to be Skyrim's triumph, that it seems to finally have gotten that right - all play styles are valid without any mods.

#42 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

I don't know about you, but I think that The Witcher 2 and Skyrim are both pretty fucking incredible games.

#43 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

@Chojin:

I think one of the problems here is that you're comparing this game to two very different games. The Witcher 2, Dark Souls, and Skyrim are all very different. Just try to enjoy Skyrim for what it is. You don't need to like it but don't dislike it because it isn't the same or better then two other games that are very different experiences from Skyrim (and each other for that matter).

#44 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

whop de shit 
hey I don't like this popular game... just thought you'd like to know.

#45 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I love the game, it's one of my top 3 favorite games. But I'm the first to say it. Bethesda doesn't write good characters, dialogue or story. I think Skyrim was a great improvement over Oblivion, but it's still lacking. Yet, i think the general concept of the plot (Dragons returning and a Dragonborn) is pretty cool,  i thought the same with Oblivion. Nonetheless every other single aspect of the game is beyond and above great. And i think the combat is awesome.

#46 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

you seem to talk more about the story, which i agree the witcher would win, but the draw to skyrim is exploration, which you seem to just disregard.

#47 Edited by Marz (5653 posts) -

I wouldn't go as far to say that Skyrim doesn't deserve to be a GOTY contender, it certainly has made an impact in the mainstream market and what Bethesda does well, is very well done in this game.  Open World, Exploration, freedom.   But i will agree, Bethesda needs to hire some more talented writers and 80% of their quests and dialogue are *yawn*  The Daedric ones are fantastic though.    This was probably most apparent in the Fallout games, New Vegas was developed by Obsidian but the writing and characters in that game were much more interesting than anything Fallout 3 could throw at you.  If only Bethesda themselves could reach that quality of writing in their games they would be even more awesome.  I will also agree that i find Witcher 2 to be a more appealing RPG at least to me, as i enjoy the characters, lore, world in that game and the quality of the writing is really great as well even when you make decisions that affect the outcome in the final game, that you don't notice that the game would be completely different if you made a different choice in the game which is a testament of how good that game is structured and rivals Bioware in how they achieve different story archs within their somewhat linear game.

#48 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

The lack of structure really puts me off Skyrim, though, different strokes and all that...

Definitely preferred TW2. Great characters, and a far better story, with fantastic combat.

Not to say I'm not enjoying SKyrim. 20-odd hours in and having a blast.

#49 Edited by Daiphyer (1337 posts) -

Guys, it's a VIDEO GAME. Blah blah blah I am not immersed because the caves go only one way, blah blah I am not immersed because the NPCs give me quests, blah I am not immersed because of this, I am not immersed because of that. What the fuck do you want?! What you are asking for is The Sims inside Skyrim. It's impossible to do what you are asking of them on these consoles.

A game can only do so many things. The Witcher 2 did story and NPCs better because it's a much smaller game than Skyrim. Dark Souls did combat better because there is no story to focus on. Skyrim is doing all that, AND more. Your expectations are ridiculous. To me, the fact that this game even has any variety in dungeons is great(See: Oblivion).

There are SO many playstyles. Don't like the melee combat? Try being an archer. Don't like archery? Get into magic. Not a fan of magic? Go stealth. That for me excuses them that not everything is perfect in their game.

#50 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

@Chojin said:

@matthias2437 said:

That's like saying you're missing out because you don't like Madden.

Just because many people love it doesn't mean you have to.

I do love it because I really enjoy that style of game and it's the first bethesda game in ages that hasn't been THAT buggy. I few minor ones, sure, but nothing like fallout 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.