Jank guessing game

#1 Posted by Helimocopter (369 posts) -

I have sort of become done with the new vegas, fallout 3, oblivion level of jankiness, it has sort of become annoying, and in all of these games i feel like i am more plastered on top of the world than I am actually a part of it
so what do you think the greatest problems this game will have? Slow loads, falling through the world, Randomly invincible enemies? List your guesses here!

#2 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

Maybe it'll have a new engine.

#3 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

AI.

Pathfinding a world that big is hard.

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

It better have a new engine. Or they need to overhaul the current one. 

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11826 posts) -

creepy persuasion minigames!

#6 Posted by Entus (253 posts) -

If it has a new engine, hopefully its still easily moddable like Oblivion and Fallout 3/NV

#7 Posted by BaneFireLord (2920 posts) -

According to an interview done a couple months ago, Todd Howard said that their next game (re: Skyrim) was going to work on the same engine as Fallout 3 but have a significant overhaul.

#8 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

The game does not have a new engine, the developers have already said it's just running on a modified GameBryo.   
But hopefully heavily modified..

#9 Posted by SomeJerk (3212 posts) -

Three options:
1) Same version GameBryo as Oblivion/FO3/NV
2) New version of GameBryo
3) New engine entirely, publisher picked up Id Software for a good reason  

Hopefully it won't take long until we get to know what's going to power it. I'm worried :(

#10 Edited by Mikemcn (6980 posts) -

Has to be the Rage engine, has to be. It would make sense. 

@WinterSnowblind said:

" The game does not have a new engine, the developers have already said it's just running on a modified GameBryo.   But hopefully heavily modified.. "
Source?
#11 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

If this is the same size ish, then its gonna have pop in and random glit
#12 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

I'm fine with it being on Gamebryo, as long as it doesn't feel like it's on Gamebryo.

#13 Posted by MisterUgly (27 posts) -
#14 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -
@MisterUgly:
Even more excited now! Thanks for finding this.
#15 Posted by Driadon (2997 posts) -
@MisterUgly: That's awesome! 

And, to add, Gamebryo is kind of dead. So trying to come out with a new game when nearly everyone who worked on the engine is long gone makes things very very hard.
#16 Posted by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -

Let's hope there is more than 5 voice actors...

#17 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

I've been hearing "Heavily Modified Oblivion Engine" floating around in a lot of reports, but I'll hope (desperately) that's wrong. But until I hear more than a twitter post, I'm going to remain skeptical.

#18 Posted by halim51 (77 posts) -

I don't think that Oblivion was even close to the level of jank in Fallout 3/NV. I still play Oblivion regularly and while the jank is around its not crazy intrusive  like in the modern fallouts.

#19 Posted by xyzygy (9943 posts) -

I love how people are setting this game up for failure already.

#20 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Bugs and AI flaws are hilarious and should be kept in tact.

#21 Edited by TomA (2531 posts) -

new engine is confirmed. But i hope it's just as buggy as Oblivion. But keep in mind morrowind was hardly buggy at all. 
Also, Morrowind is better.

#22 Posted by Jimmi (166 posts) -
@xyzygy:  It's not setting it up for failure... The jank in Oblivion is part of why I love it so much. It's one of its endearing qualities.  

"Oh... Hello."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dinb0ejLJW4
#23 Posted by giantbombiscool (52 posts) -
@keyhunter said:
" Bugs and AI flaws are hilarious and should be kept in tact. "
right on
#24 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

Well there will be a new engine, but I would probably bust a nut if I hear or see a sign of multiplayer.

#25 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -

combat will probably be the worst part.

but I'm ok with that

#26 Posted by BBQBram (2220 posts) -

The main reason I haven't played a Bethesda game yet - the idea of such a dynamic open world with endless free-roaming and gameplay opportunities sounds amazing, but every time I sit down to play them I get turned off by the horrible jank and overall stilted feel of the gameplay. Hopefully this game will finally win me over, because what I've heard of Oblivion sounds pretty amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.