Just got Skyrim on Steam, what add ons should I get?

#1 Posted by beanman25 (41 posts) -

Haven't played the game yet, but wanting to know what steam workshop items will make the game better on the first playthrough?

#2 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

Look through the most popular. There are at least 30+ mods that'll improve the experience without altering it substantially. Stuff that improves textures, fixes bugs, changes the weight of dragon bones, improves lighting etc. are all good choices.

#3 Posted by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -
#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Sky UI

#5 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (732 posts) -

@beanman25: Posh Mudcrabs enhances the experience CONSIDERABLY.

#6 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -
#7 Posted by beanman25 (41 posts) -

Does Steam Workshop install them hitch free? Or will I have to do anything after downloaded each add on?

#8 Posted by Zella (727 posts) -

Most mods install hitch free, there are a few though that need some extra tweaking, however that will be mentioned in the mod description.

#9 Posted by beanman25 (41 posts) -

@Zella said:

Most mods install hitch free, there are a few though that need some extra tweaking, however that will be mentioned in the mod description.

alright, good to know. I'll get to installing these tonight, and hopefully get to diving into the game some.

#10 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Download my Dispel mod <3.

#11 Posted by fetchfox (1256 posts) -

@beanman25: I'd suggest Sounds of Skyrim. They add some amazing soundwork outside with birds and such during day, and owls and other night creatures during dark. A second pack also adds sounds to dungeons, which really amps up the creepyness (these are also on the steam workshop).

Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons

#12 Edited by damswedon (3185 posts) -

None.

Play the game for a while, find out what bothers you, and then go get mods that can fix that.

#13 Posted by Molenator85 (221 posts) -

All of them. Literally just yesterday I scrolled down most popular today on Steam Worskshop ans installed 60+ mods

#14 Posted by MrSlapHappy (181 posts) -

Search for the PC Gamer collections. They have one that is just nice little fixes and handy stuff that doesn't break the game. The other collection adds quests and other stuff that is less faithful to the lore.

#15 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (140 posts) -

@damswedon said:

None.

Play the game for a while find out what bothers you, and then go and get mods that can fix that.

this. see what the game offers first

#16 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

It's not really a mod, but get the official texture pack if you haven't already.

#17 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@thebeastwithtwobacks said:

@damswedon said:

None.

Play the game for a while find out what bothers you, and then go and get mods that can fix that.

this. see what the game offers first

x3.

And then I down loaded Camping, Basic Needs (hunger, thirst, sleep etc.) and Hypothermia. Turned it into the game I was hoping it would be out of the box. But I'm weird like that.

The fur cloaks and Better Horses or whatever it's called are really good too. Allows you to store items on your mount (like aforementioned camping equipment and rations).

#18 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

Don't listen to some of the people saying to play it as it was in Vanilla. Save yourself some headaches, and more importantly the experience of shittiness, and download SKSE, SkyUI, Quality World Map, and Categorized Favourites Menu. After that everything else is up to personal taste, but those four mods are an absolute must. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

After that though there's plenty out there. ENB's, flora overhauls, water overhauls, follower overhauls, and on and on. But get SkyUI though. The interface was not designed for a mouse and keyboard.

#19 Posted by Ben_H (3336 posts) -

If your PC can handle it, as much high res texture stuff as possible, along with the enhanced night sky mod. It makes the game look absolutely amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.