Just preordered on Steam... Do we get to download before release?

#1 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1408 posts) -

Never preordered a game before on Steam so I just wondering when they allow you to download the local content? Midnight on release day? Is their midnight Greenwich Mean time? Totally stoked!

#2 Posted by TMThomsen (2068 posts) -

You'll usually be able to preload games ahead of release, but if and when depends on the publisher.

#3 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1291 posts) -

I'd assume it's more likely than not due to the assumed larger size of the game, though does anyone remember if new Vegas was pre-load capable? I don't remember for that game cause I think I bought it on steam the day it released and not before. It definitely is a per publisher and even per game basis most the time, which can be sorta annoying.. but really, who cares it's a matter of a few hours. The biggest thing I guess is courtesy for those without decent internet speeds, so they don't have to wait a day or whatever to get it. I like in Canada though and I can't find an ISP with a slow enough package where it would take me that long to download a game though, so I'm lucky I guess.

I am definitely more excited for the game though, especially after watching the new footage from Game Informer's recent Sneak Peak.

#4 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1408 posts) -

Thanks, I figured as much. @DJJoeJoe: Your name immediately made me think of this video:

#5 Posted by AyKay_47 (291 posts) -

@DJJoeJoe said:

I'd assume it's more likely than not due to the assumed larger size of the game

Apparently it's only 6 gigs. People are losing their shit!!

#6 Posted by Mnemoidian (946 posts) -

@DJJoeJoe: No idea, but RAGE was. Which is also published by Zenimax/Bethesda.

@Jack_Daniels: I think RAGE started preloading about a week before release.

As for the actual release-time, it depends on the publisher.

But when it finally does happen, you'll get a final, small "patch" to decrypt and unlock the game in Steam - usually takes 1-30 min, depending on size.

#7 Posted by JustKamToo (625 posts) -

Wow you read my mind, I've just been looking for the same answer. The steam forums are saying yes to an early download.

#8 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

When is suppose to be released anyway? steam store page say "November"

#9 Edited by Animasta (14464 posts) -

@DonPixel said:

When is suppose to be released anyway? steam store page say "November"

11/11/11

and it's almost like this site doesn't have a new games tab on the top that tells you when games are coming out

#10 Edited by DJJoeJoe (1291 posts) -

@AyKay_47 said:

@DJJoeJoe said:

The GB was an error by Bethesda, as noted on Twitter. Was supposed to be GHz

@Animasta: No kidding right? 2 places on Giant Bomb show new releases, the week by week breakdown from the New Games page, and the overall upcoming games.

#11 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1291 posts) -

@Jack_Daniels: lol yea, or Mojo jojo from power puff girls. Which I think was the original source for my childhood friend's brain fart of an idea for my nickname :S

#12 Posted by AyKay_47 (291 posts) -

@DJJoeJoe said:

@AyKay_47 said:

@DJJoeJoe said:

The GB was an error by Bethesda, as noted on Twitter. Was supposed to be GHz

Nope, that was a CPU typo. Install size really is 6 gigs.

https://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/status/129252912584073218

#13 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Games on Steam generally start pre-loading a week or so before launch. Sometimes less. I'd look for the preload option on the Friday or Monday before release.

#14 Posted by TomA (2532 posts) -

Skyrim is one of the few PC games that i'm not purchasing through Steam. Call me a sucker but I want my cloth map godammit!

#15 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1291 posts) -

@AyKay_47: Ah, cool. Usually the largest part of their games has been the pure amount of voice data, expanded across different languages can really inflate the size dramatically. 6gb is kinda incredible though, there's not really a 'need' to do this on PC since almost all games are now a lot larger than this size.

#16 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1408 posts) -

@TomA said:

Skyrim is one of the few PC games that i'm not purchasing through Steam. Call me a sucker but I want my cloth map godammit!

Fuck physical media, 5 years from now if I want to play skyrim I wont have to find my discs and key steam will save me!

#17 Posted by Edwardryu (437 posts) -

the source told me that it will be November 9th for preload.

#18 Posted by mosdl (3223 posts) -

6 gigs for download or 6 gigs for final install?

#19 Posted by emergency (1190 posts) -

@Jack_Daniels said:

@TomA said:

Fuck physical media, 5 years from now if I want to play skyrim I wont have to find my discs and key steam will save me!

Your point would hold weight if the phyiscal copy didn't also register on steam.

#20 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

@DJJoeJoe said:

@AyKay_47: Ah, cool. Usually the largest part of their games has been the pure amount of voice data, expanded across different languages can really inflate the size dramatically. 6gb is kinda incredible though, there's not really a 'need' to do this on PC since almost all games are now a lot larger than this size.

Oh, there's still a need. The purpose of preloading has more to do with the fact that the servers are going to be hit hard with everyone trying to download the game, and download speeds often aren't going to be great, in which case even a moderately sized game can take a while to download. Preloading offsets that.

#21 Posted by emergency (1190 posts) -

6Gbs is so low, that I feel like there should be a highres texture pack. Kind of amazing if it's that small, and still filled with content.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.