Kinect Support for Skyrim

#1 Posted by VirtuaXav (450 posts) -

Check out the title, Kinect Support for Skyrim. Explains itself.

Bethesda just posted this on their blog this morning. Looks like it's just a whole bunch of commands which would come in handy for console gamers. No gesture stuff yet, but that's probably a good thing.

With this and Steel Battalion coming out, it won't take much more for me to get a Kinect.

#2 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

So it's only voice recognition ? Why should this be exclusive to Kinect ?

#3 Posted by Falconer (1686 posts) -

@SlashDance: Because the hardware, software, and APIs already exist for Bethesda to easily implement it on the Xbox.

#4 Posted by believer258 (11907 posts) -

Why does Microsoft and other companies keep thinking that I want to shout at my TV screen?

#5 Posted by BigDaddy81 (328 posts) -

This seems legitimately cool. The quicksave feature alone is enough to get me pumped about this.

#6 Posted by spree4567 (138 posts) -

My guess is that they're using Kinect's voice recognition software that is built into the system. They wouldn't be able to take advantage of it and would have to develop it themselves to work with regular mics.

#7 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@BigDaddy81 said:

This seems legitimately cool. The quicksave feature alone is enough to get me pumped about this.

@believer258

said:

Why does Microsoft and other companies keep thinking that I want to shout at my TV screen?

who should bethesda please out off you two. the guy who wants it or the guy who does not?

#8 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -
@Bell_End: They're both the same guy at different stages.

Before trying it: That seems cool.
After trying it: Why?!
#9 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

I was going to start bitching about no PC Kinect support but realized we have a shit ton of Steam Workshop mods and a HD upgrade.

#10 Posted by duggshammer (158 posts) -

@believer258 said:

This about does it right here.

#11 Posted by BigDaddy81 (328 posts) -

I only need to know one more thing about this new feature: Is the phrase "Get the fuck out of my way Lydia!" a recognized voice command?

#12 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

Seems cool in theory, but I don't think kinect could really understand those shouts like in that trailer. If voice recognition has problems picking up simple words when your pronouncing isn't perfect, i can't see "strun bah qo" working either.

#13 Posted by Village_Guy (2577 posts) -

Wasn't there talk that Bethesda were looking at implementing Kinect voice-functionality into Skyrim before it came out?

I guess they never got around to it before now.

#14 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Seems like a clever way of getting around the limits of a controller like the quick save and load as well as some nice ally commands and other stuff. On the other hand it's a lazy way of getting around their not so good UI.

#15 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Quick save and quick load with voice activation?!

So happy to be a Kinect owner.

#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

I was going to start bitching about no PC Kinect support but realized we have a shit ton of Steam Workshop mods and a HD upgrade.

PC: Thousands of free mods, best graphics, Steamworks integration, access to ingame console for added hilarity.

Xbox: You can yell at your TV, I guess?

PS3: Sorry. I'm so sorry...

#17 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

That question has been asked many times by various people in regard to voice commands. Microsoft has said that the Kinect includes a lot of voice recognition software and hardware that your typical mic doesn't.

#18 Edited by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

Here's a tip : you can use the auto save feature to do a quick save on consoles. Hit back to wait, hit A to confirm and immediately after, hit B.

This will cancel the waiting, and your game will be saved. Takes half a second. Only downside is you can't do it with ennemies around.

Already got an answer. :)

#19 Posted by TzarStefan (428 posts) -

My girlfriend bought me a Kinect for the PC. It's useless and expensive, i hope it will work on the PC so i can get some use out of it.

#20 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Uh do you forget that this is Skyrim? If any game justifies yelling at the TV, this is it.

Finally I can yell FUS RO DAH and have it work.

#21 Posted by Piririn (81 posts) -

The 'ThuuMic' mod allready lets you shout on the pc version..

Incase someone wanted to do that.

#22 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

Here's a tip : you can use the auto save feature to do a quick save on consoles. Hit back to wait, hit A to confirm and immediately after, hit B.

This will cancel the waiting, and your game will be saved. Takes half a second. Only downside is you can't do it with ennemies around.

Already got an answer. :)

Ah, looked back and found it. It wasn't directed "@" you, so I didn't notice it.

I wish they would just implement the ME3 quicksave. The "back" button has never been more useful.

#23 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@believer258 said:

Uh do you forget that this is Skyrim? If any game justifies yelling at the TV, this is it.

Finally I can yell FUS RO DAH and have it work.

Yeah, I agree. Even though it's really pretty dumb, I still like the idea. That said, I probably won't pick Skyrim back up just to use it.

#24 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

This could be kind of useful, especially later in the game if you have a large amount of shouts.

#25 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -
@BrockNRolla said:

@SlashDance said:

That question has been asked many times by various people in regard to voice commands. Microsoft has said that the Kinect includes a lot of voice recognition software and hardware that your typical mic doesn't.

Except there's already a PC mod that lets you do it.. 
#26 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

@TzarStefan said:

My girlfriend bought me a Kinect for the PC. It's useless and expensive, i hope it will work on the PC so i can get some use out of it.

Why would you buy it for PC?

I always got the impression that Kinect for PC was more for the modders/hackers to create their own cool little hacks.

#27 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Looks cool to bad I don't got a kinect.

#28 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

Besides, we had the option of shouting at our screens thanks to mods, a long time ago.

#29 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@SlashDance said:

Except there's already a PC mod that lets you do it..

Right. A mod that offers software and processing for voice recognition.

#30 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

So I'll be able to use this to circumvent the clumsy menu system? Sounds good to me!

#31 Posted by DriveupLife (915 posts) -

@TzarStefan said:

How did she buy it for PC if it may not work on PC?

#32 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Normally wouldn't like this stuff, but it does sound awesome. The quick save feature sounds dope.

#33 Edited by PaulKemp (110 posts) -

@Phatmac: This is not confirmed, it was just me making a joke in the other thread. But it would be pretty awesome!

Betheasta: "A full list of Voice Commands will be revealed in the coming weeks"

#34 Posted by TzarStefan (428 posts) -

@DriveupLife:

Developers kit. Like i said i have no use for it.

#35 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Press back.  Press A.  You just quick saved.  I saved you $150.  You guys are crazy.

#36 Posted by xyzygy (9990 posts) -

This is seriously awesome. This is how Kinect should be done! Skyrim is perfect for it, being based around shouts. I'm surprised no one really thought of using Kinect for this sooner. Unless, maybe Bethesda was working on it in secret the whole time trying to get it right. The words you use aren't exactly English words, so they probably had to record and incorporate them into the Kinect firmware. Prepare to say "Fus Ro Dah" in all Kinect games from now on. :P

Why I'm most excited about this though, is because it eases the completely HORRID UI. IIRC (Haven't played Skyrim since the beginning of December), there is no actual way to sort by price and weight is there? And there is no fast way to equip your spells without going into that ridiculous list? Honestly, that was a major issue I had with the game and this seems to rectify that perfectly. Can't want until I own a Kinect and all the Skyrim DLC is out so I can do all this!

@ExplodeMode said:

Press back. Press A. You just quick saved. I saved you $150. You guys are crazy.

Or, just say "Quick Save". It's awesome and so much faster.

#37 Posted by briangodsoe (487 posts) -

@ExplodeMode said:

Press back. Press A. You just quick saved. I saved you $150. You guys are crazy.

Anybody buying a Kinect specifically for this feature deserves to be $150 poorer. Lets face it, that money didn't really belong to them in the first place.

#38 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

When I first heard about this, I was only thinking about using it for dragon shouts and changing out equipment. I didn't even consider how much easier it would be to navigate the menus. Skyrim's menu system was straight up awful. I like that I'll be able to use the voice commands to get around some of the clunkier elements, like finding the right skill tree, and selling off vendor trash.

I doubt this will be the case, but I'd like to see if they have voice commands to swap out armor on the fly, in case I want a different loadout when facing off against certain types of enemies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.