Locations Not Being Cleared

#1 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

So I've run into this a few times now, I will go to a random fort and go through it, clearing out enemies and looting everything thats not nailed down. Now most of the time when I check the map it will list these places as 'cleared' but sometimes I will murder everyone in the keep but when I check the map it will not note it as such. I have searched the place a few times over and cant find anyone. Is this a glitch? Will I be brought back to this location later for a sidequest and only then will it be able to be cleared? Is there a cowardly necromancer hiding inside a dresser somewhere? Anyone else encounter this in their time with this game?

#2 Posted by WEB_War4 (111 posts) -

I have also encountered this and was wondering if it was a bug.

#3 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

I ran across this after clearing out a fort of some mages. After consulting my strategy guide I learned that that particular fort will be inhabited by members of the opposing faction during the civil war quests. If I had to hazard a guess it would be that since the place will be used again later on it can't be cleared until that time. Either that or we all missed murdering someone.

#4 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

@WEB_War4: Im really enjoying the game, but the completionist in me is really annoyed by this minor flaw.

#5 Edited by JFetch (119 posts) -

I have found 3 sections that each place can have, although there might be more. The outside, the inside, and the underground. Not all of them use them all, but look in the lowest room (I know one was in an oubliette in a fort) and look for a big hole in the ground. If there is ore and mining picks scattered around and you aren't in a mine there is probably an underground section.

#6 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

There's one fort outside of Whiterun that will repopulate, alternating between bandits and Legion soldiers. If you talk to the single neutral NPC that lives there, there's some pretty funny explanatory dialogue.

#7 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -

@CenturionCajun said:

I ran across this after clearing out a fort of some mages. After consulting my strategy guide I learned that that particular fort will be inhabited by members of the opposing faction during the civil war quests. If I had to hazard a guess it would be that since the place will be used again later on it can't be cleared until that time. Either that or we all missed murdering someone.

Wow, exactly same thing happened to me. Bunch of Stormcloak soldiers there now, or Imperial, I haven't been paying attention to that stuff.

#8 Posted by Bluegizz (12 posts) -

I've just encountered this bug when going through the dungeon "Lost Valkrygg", its really annoying me as I have a major OCD with this stuff. Been through it 3 times, even loaded up an old previous save and gone through it and it still doesn't show up as "Cleared". -.-

#9 Posted by ki11tank (675 posts) -

Same issue, I've ran through a couple of them twice, one time I did find another room that had a guy in there and that fixed it, but it does seem to be an issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.