Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Make Skyrim faster

Demmetje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi, I've been wondering if there are any ways to make Skyrim on 360 load and save faster. My main problem is probably that I keep my saves on a flash drive (since I travel between different 360's). Do you guys have any experience or knowledge on the effect the use of a USB drive has on load times? Also, are there other ways, like turning off autosaving, to speed up this process? Thanks in advance!

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

According to what I've understood these Bethesda RPGs just take longer to load and save the longer you play them and the more data it has to store. It surfaces mostly on the consoles. I can't imagine the USB stick playing too big a role in it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I don't think having the save on a USB drive affects load times, but it may. Even if the save was on the HDD, Skyrim would load slowly because - and I'm not saying this to be an elitist prick - it's on a console. It's fixed. You can't put it on an SSD, you can't play it on a faster machine, it's always going to be the way it is now.

Turning off autosaving doesn't speed up loading, per se, but you won't get odd hitches like you do when you open up the menu and it's been a while, or when you open a door, etc. The amount of time you would save from that could be measured in a fraction of a second, though, and you'll find out that it's not worth it when you play for four hours without saving and something kills you unexpectedly.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By monetarydread

Putting your save on a HD would be a step in the right direction. You could always try clearing the cache on your 360.

Really, the answer is to play the game on PC. Even with a slow HD, saves load in less than 3 seconds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.