Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Man I suck at this game. Any tips?

D34dM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By D34dM4n

I have been playing Skyrim for a while and all I seem to do is get killed. Every single quest, every time I go into a city, every time I don't fast travel somewhere. Dead, dead, dead. The only dragon I killed I didn't even really kill. Does anyone have some tips? I am playing as a Dark Elf with max skills of Destruction magic, heavy armor, one handed weapons and sneak. Been going for more points in archery and Destruction.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By belaraphon

you can always turn down the difficulty?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By imsh_pl

Avoid spredding yourself too thin.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By cbk486

I would get a companion and look into a mix of conjuration and destruction magic. Having 2 people by your side to fight is really beneficial in some larger battles, and the destruction spells get crazier and crazier as you put points into that tree.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Are you moving around during fights, or do you stand in one spot, swinging your weapon around? I like to get a few hits in then put space between myself and my enemies when my level is low.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Vexxan

Conjurations/companions really help, let them do the tanking and you'll be fine.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@imsh_pl said:

This. I'd advise you to concentrate on raising your primary combat/armor skill first, as well as investing perks into those two skills first. Once you hit around lvl 30, provided you have a 100 in smithing and enchanting, it becomes a very easy game.

D34dM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By D34dM4n

ok, took and advice. got myself a companion and lowered the difficulty to apprentice. now i have killed a dragon and i am happy. thanks. also, gonna be listening to and

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By alistercat

@D34dM4n: Stick the difficulty back up once you're a bit more comfortable as it will suddenly get a lot easier once you get powerful shouts and spells. Just having more options makes it much easier.maybe invest in alchemy that way you can heal in the pause menu with potions.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordukai

@imsh_pl said:

This. This comment rings true for every RPG game. I would say spreading yourself thine is the biggest mistake any RPG fan could do tho it's character. It's better to have one or two really good, fully developeed powers then 4-5 mildly ones.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By ThePickle

Make a Nord. Level up heavy armor (get the steed stone ASAP), smithing, two handed, and restoration (strictly for healing). It's crazy easy. Having a companion also helps. Trying to sneak with heavy armor is a fool's errand and making a stealth mage as a first character sounds really tricky for a beginner. If you're dead set on a mage, make a high elf. Conjuration is key.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By selbie

I eventually found Ward spells to be so damn useful for the tougher dragons. Whenever you know the dragon is about to shoot flame/frost, just whip out the ward and it will save you a few precious healing potions.

As others have said, companions and horses are a great way to draw aggro.

beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By beckley205

Use your shouts. They can be a lifesaver.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By belaraphon

@ThePickle: indeed. the game is set in the nord homeland and this should be utilized!

i hope you are having fun, remember: there is no shame in playing on easier difficulties! games are meant to be enjoyed and beaten, otherwise, why bother? you will develop strategies over time, and when you feel ready move the difficult up. there are hundreds of ways to play skyrim, and make sure to have fun with your way. you can always look up how to do something online, but making it personal is the best!

i always make sure to not take shit from anyone, and axe people questions. AXE!

Neeshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Neeshka

Don't lower the game difficulty it's really easy even on adept.

You probably levelled up the wrong things (non-combat skills), or put points in dumb perks. Or as others have posted; put points randomly in bad trees.

In any RPG it makes sense to SPECIALIZE. Never try to do too many things at once; you'll probably suck at them all.

Decide if you want to play sneak, archery, melee or a magic user. Remember that magic isn't that strong in skyrim.

Now whichever you choose; make sure to put perks into that tree ASAP.

All the trees have a bunch of obviously useless things; don't take those.

Archery - perks in marksmanship

Sneak(thief type) - perks in one-handed, sneak, light armor : this is a problematic build since light armor is rubbish without perks; sneak attacks are rubbish without the 15x modifier, leveling sneak is repetitive, sneak only works well in the dark and restealthing is sometimes annoying.

Melee - perks in one-handed. dual wield swords with heavy armor is hands down the most optimal build; and probably the best in the game.

heavy armor is good without perks, dual wield does ridiculous damage.

Next up;

Once you've put points in ONE PRIMARY COMBAT OFFENSIVE PERK; and remember skip the useless garbage filler talents; level : SMITHING, ENCHANTING.

To do this quick just make a bunch of iron daggers; enchant them; resell them. You can keep making 100s of daggers since all items give the same skillups.

Next,

put points in heavy armor/light armor.

Lastly,

points in alchemy

Follow the above advice and you'll never have problems with the game; you can even play on master if you want.

J0PALACE0K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By J0PALACE0K

Honestly in combat restoration is vital; I play a mage also and the amount of times it has saved me is almost ridiculous. Fire a few shots, then back away (you are often faster/more mobile) than your opponents, once you have a bit of breathing space then you can fully restore.

It only takes about 2 of the restoration perks (starter and dual cast) and you can heal ALOT of health with minimal magicka. Just listen to what other people have said aswell (especially targeting a smaller number of skills) and you should be good to go.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Aetheldod

Use more skill :P

Joking aside the folks here have given good advice so far so I cant tell you anything new

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By sopranosfan

I think it just depends on finding how you want to play the game as far which skills you want to focus on but as others have stated find 2 or 3 skills to focus on at the beginning. When I first started RPGs it seemed logical to me to be well rounded but being decent at a lot of things and not really good at any of them meant in tough battles I could never take off massive points and so battles were always long and drawn out.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By avidwriter

Lower the difficulty? You can play the game anyway you want but there is combat, so pick something combat-ish.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Hizang

If your having trouble possibly your choice of combat is not to your best interests, spice it up a bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.