Mod Kit: Portal Gun

#1 Posted by Ctmskater75 (31 posts) -

After the release of the mod kit and the official mod drop from Valve and Bethesda I really want to see the portal gun with its mechanics properly working if it's possible. How do you guys feel? Is it possible with the tools they released or some other tinkering?

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@Ctmskater75: Yes. God yes.

#3 Posted by benspyda (2030 posts) -

I some what doubt that it is possible. But if someone figures it out it would be amazing. Especially for selling goods between towns. Just leave a portal in Riften and one in Whiterun = offload all my junk.

#4 Posted by GaspoweR (2803 posts) -

The fact that it is an open world game and that it loads certain areas while exploring, fast-travelling or going through doors might makes it a problem for some who don't have enough memory in their systems required to pull this off.

#5 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

The sweet roll is a lie?

#6 Posted by believer258 (11633 posts) -

@benspyda said:

I some what doubt that it is possible. But if someone figures it out it would be amazing. Especially for selling goods between towns. Just leave a portal in Riften and one in Whiterun = offload all my junk.

I was thinking along these lines. Leave a portal in your home in case you want to go back to it at anytime while over-encumbered, chased by enemies, etc. Or it could have a billion other uses. The issue that I see lies with how they are going to load what's on the other end of the portal.

#7 Posted by benspyda (2030 posts) -

@believer258: Only works for people with SSD's.

#8 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

lol fuck. I got excited reading the thread title and thought one was out. Would be really fun to mess around with.

#9 Posted by John1912 (1829 posts) -

Of course you cant leave portals where ever you want. They would prob need to be within range of the view distance/object load in view distance. If someone makes one, you need to be able to put one in the sky to you can drop enemies from it. Also have to factor in size of the portal. Would it fit a mammoth/dragon? Would it fall in no matter the of the portal?

#10 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

The idea of a portal in skyrim just makes me excited. Imagine fast travelling with a portal or making a dragon fall through two portal's indefinitely. Making cheese wheels rain from the sky would be awesome as well.

This must be my second most anticipated mod after mountable dragons. Where are the ride-able dragons modders? RPG's like Drakan allowed you to ride dragons, please do this modders, please!!!

#11 Posted by INV2 (256 posts) -

There already is a portal, of sorts, the Bag of Holding... kind of like a portable hole. Of course, if you know what a portable hole is, you must be an old nerd like me.

#12 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -

@INV2 said:

There already is a portal, of sorts, the Bag of Holding... kind of like a portable hole. Of course, if you know what a portable hole is, you must be an old nerd like me.

Girlfriends, aren't they?

#13 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@GaspoweR:

SPOILERS!!!

-

-

you shoot at the moon in skyrim, the game just crashes

-

-

END SPOILERS!!!

#14 Posted by INV2 (256 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: I think there is a superb Valentine's Day card in this!

#15 Posted by SSully (4125 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@benspyda said:

I was thinking along these lines. Leave a portal in your home in case you want to go back to it at anytime while over-encumbered, chased by enemies, etc. Or it could have a billion other uses. The issue that I see lies with how they are going to load what's on the other end of the portal.

The issue isn't loading seperate areas like two different buildings, or outside and your home. With that it would work just like portal, where when you go into a new area your portals are removed. So when you enter your house, all portals from the outside are gone.

What's tough is implementing everything properly like it portal, where momentum applies, the camera exits and flips properly if you enter/exit the portal weird, and the way it attaches to wall(and what kind of geometry a portal could actually be attached to). Finally as others have implied, the data needed to be stored for what's on the other side of the portal.

It's not impossible, but it would be a bitch and would never work as good as it does in portal 2.

Also for fun, here is portals in minecraft:

#16 Posted by believer258 (11633 posts) -

@SSully said:

@believer258 said:

@benspyda said:

the data needed to be stored for what's on the other side of the portal.

It's not impossible, but it would be a bitch and would never work as good as it does in portal 2.

That's what I meant by "load what's on the other end of the portal". I guess "store data on the other side" would be a better way to put it. My idea was that I could (theoretically) keep an orange portal in my home in Whiterun and just fire a blue one off anywhere in the rest of Skyrim - literally anywhere - go through it, and find myself back home. This would be handy if I ever found myself over-encumbered with some loot or some dragon bones that I wanted to keep and headed back home to dump it all into one of those bottomless chests that I have at home.

This would, of course, be utterly impossible on the Xbox 360 (which is what I play on) but what if your computer exceeded the requirements enough to keep the location of the far away portal loaded into RAM and keep it going, while also keeping track of where you are and what you are doing?

#17 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

That would be mad useful, don't see it being possible though since the game loads whenever you enter any building.

Would like to see someone try and mod the game to load everything in the world at once (doubt that's doable though)

#18 Posted by SSully (4125 posts) -

@believer258: That would be great. Or just have something like a "Town Portal" scroll like in torch light and other RPGs. Then again, that is essentially just fast travel, and it would be easier to just mod the game to allow you to fast travel even when encumbered. Or be like vinny and make your encumbrance a ludicrous number.

#19 Posted by GaspoweR (2803 posts) -

@clstirens said:

@GaspoweR:

SPOILERS!!!

-

-

you shoot at the moon in skyrim, the game just crashes

-

-

END SPOILERS!!!

Yep, that sums up my post quite well.

#20 Edited by GaspoweR (2803 posts) -

@SSully said:

@believer258: That would be great. Or just have something like a "Town Portal" scroll like in torch light and other RPGs. Then again, that is essentially just fast travel, and it would be easier to just mod the game to allow you to fast travel even when encumbered...

Yeah, I think that is the only feasible way to do it. You are essentially just doing insta-Fast Travel, which is essentially Fast-travel minus the restrictions of being over encumbered or needing to be in the open world area. Plus, I would imagine that when you enter a portal, it would just lead you to a loading screen prior to coming out the other portal. I reckon you would need to "activate" it like you would a door in order to prevent accidentally entering it when you didn't want to go in. So in short, Insta-Fast Travel would be like creating an entrance and exit door at a whim in the Skyrim engine.

EDIT: If someone does makes a mod out of the concept we laid out here in this forum, PLEASE POST A LINK when your done with the mod. :D

#21 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

personally i think it would work best as a spell.. portal 1 in left hand, portal 2 in right hand. the portal would only work inside the area you are currently at (as i would want it anyway).

like when you are in skyrim you could portal yourself up a mountain and when you are inside a dungeon you could portal yourself to the other side of a gate without picklocking it..

im not entirely sure how the spawn system would work, but with entering dungeons etc you need a marker at the entrance and a marker inside the dungeon, attached to the doors you use.. making such a thing "portable" would seem a pain to do if possible at all.

#22 Posted by Ctmskater75 (31 posts) -

SideShow Your idea is exactly what i was thinking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.