Morrowind fans, how true to Morrowind is Dragonborn DLC?

#1 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

A game not being true to the source material is not necessarily a bad game. But one that is true to it is a much more magical game.

So, I'm wondering, to those who have played and modded Morrowind in its glory days, how satisfied are you with Dragonborn's version of that location? What are your reasons? I'm curious!

P.S. I'm not asking because I care about Morrowind, I've never played it. I'm only curious about Dragonborn's "trueness" to it.

#2 Edited by Superfriend (1579 posts) -

I didn´t play all of Bloodmoon back in the day, because I felt like the setting and the island were kinda weak, but I do remember quite a bit.

The new addon doesn´t really stay true to how Solstheim looked back then. Now, there are a lot more hills and even mountains and the coast is actually quite rocky. It retains some of the same layout (the Skaal village is in a similar place, for example). Overall, it does have some artistic reinterpretation of the original island of Solstheim, as well as some changes that are story-related (The Red Year chief among them). What it does get right however, is some of that Morrowind atmosphere. Since Solstheim is half covered in (white/grey) ash, it looks sort of like a cross between Morrowind and Skyrim, especially since there are some Telvanni "buildings" and Raven Rock sort of looks like Ald Ruhn now.

If you´re a fan of the source material, go for it. There are a ton of books in there that deal with Morrowind related stuff and they even have a few nice little quests and nods that are related to both Bloodmoon and Morrowind itself.

Edit: Oh, and it also adds the Soundtrack of Morrowind to Skyrim, so that´s a definite plus in my opinion.

#3 Posted by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -

pretty much nailed it. I'll add that it does a really nice job linking the two bits of fiction together, without being obnoxious or overwrought about it. You can see the Vvardenfell landmass in the distance, complete with a smoldering dormant volcano. A lot of the ambient and NPC dialogue fills in the gaps between the two games, and there are some locations from Bloodmoon that reappear in Dragonborn, looking as you may or may not expect them to look after two-hundred some years.

#4 Posted by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -

@OfficeGamer: If you've only played Oblivion and Skryim then you probably won't notice many of the little touches or really be taken by the referential architecture of the buildings/the bits of scenery made to look like Morrowind. Because, for the most part, Dragonborn looks like Skyrim.

#5 Edited by fetchfox (1339 posts) -

@Superfriend: Really, the sounds (or just music?) of Morrowind? This is gonna be one hell of a memory trip then.

To the topic; several hundred years have passed since we saw Morrowind and Solstheim, so some change is to expected i think. Regardless of the (Skyrim mainquest spoiler)

#6 Posted by Superfriend (1579 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

@Superfriend: Really, the sounds (or just music?) of Morrowind? This is gonna be one hell of a memory trip then.

As far as I can tell it´s the entire Morrowind soundtrack.. I guess. But since that thing was hella short and a track already appeared on the regular Skyrim OST, it´s not that big of a deal.

Yeah, the whole dlc/addon seems designed to evoke some memories from the old Morrowind days. You´re gonna hear a Silt Strider and a few netches in there as well as some other things. People will call you n´wah and outlander- that´s always cool to hear.

#7 Posted by fetchfox (1339 posts) -

@Superfriend: That's awesome, really excited now. Can't wait to see what modders do with it.

#8 Posted by Superfriend (1579 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

@Superfriend: That's awesome, really excited now. Can't wait to see what modders do with it.

Probably add clean faces and Final Fantasy swords.

Nah really, I just hope this isn´t the last dlc for Skyrim. The story still seems rather unfinished and both Dawnguard and Dragonborn haven´t been the big "expansion pack" type things I wanted them to be.

#9 Posted by SlashDance (1841 posts) -

Any of this ?

As far as I'm concerned, that's Morrowind right there. That sound brings back more memories than the damn main theme.

#10 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

O god want this so bad now.

Just need to play another 100 hours to get through skyrim....

#11 Edited by fetchfox (1339 posts) -

@SlashDance: That mid howl is much wanted by me. But if not in the game, I can probably rely on some modder to make it be.

@Superfriend said:

@fetchfox said:

Probably add clean faces and Final Fantasy swords.

Nah really, I just hope this isn´t the last dlc for Skyrim. The story still seems rather unfinished and both Dawnguard and Dragonborn haven´t been the big "expansion pack" type things I wanted them to be.

Haha, you bastard. I'm mostly thinking of higher res textures, unoffifcial bug fixes and lorebased addons. How much bigger would you say Dragonborn is then Dawnguard?

#12 Edited by Superfriend (1579 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

Haha, you bastard. I'm mostly thinking of higher res textures, unoffifcial bug fixes and lorebased addons. How much bigger would you say Dragonborn is then Dawnguard?

Well, you can´t really compare the two since Dawnguard is a bigger dual questline (with one awesome sidequest) and Dragonborn is more like a short questline and a bunch of random events and sidequests on a new island (I haven´t completed all of them yet)..

I´d say Dragonborn probably takes longer to complete, if you want to do everything. 30+ hours at least if you´re a fan of reading books and taking your time. Overall, I think I wanted Dragonborn to be more like the old Tribunal addon for Morrowind.. that one added new scenery as well as a pretty great questline that directly tied into the main story. Sadly, the Dragonborn questline doesn´t quite do that. There are some interesting aspects to it, but nothing that continues the story from Skyrim.

Edit: also, LOL at the German Morrowind version in "Schlickschreiter". That´s not a very good translation.

#13 Posted by fetchfox (1339 posts) -

@Superfriend: True, but I just wondered in pure size. I'm quite the completionist, so I'll probably spend that many hours or more there. Too bad you didn't find it fulfilling, but I bet there's more expansions coming. Personally I'm happy that it doesn't directly blend into the main storyline.

#14 Posted by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -

@fetchfox: There are a lot of neat side/adventuring quests to do in Dragonborn. A bunch of hidden/obscure sets of armor, a new cast of Dragon Priests, some outlandish weaponry. Don't be fooled into thinking you'll be in and out of the expansion in a snap. You'll spend plenty of time on the island.

As for size, I think Solstheim, in gameplay terms, is roughly equivalent to any of the holds of Skyrim proper. So, if you're thinking of hiking from one end to the other, it'll take you about as long as would a hike from Riften to Whiterun.

Solstheim is easier to traverse, for the most part. You won't be rounding the slopes of too many unscalable mountains. So the journey might seem less quicker.

#15 Posted by fetchfox (1339 posts) -

@HistoryInRust: Cool, thanks. I'm working on getting all the dragon priest masks, so the more the merrier. Can't wait to dive in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.