Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

My pitch for Skyrim multiplayer.

wholemeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By wholemeal

So, I know this is lame. I'm not a game designer, network engineer or software engineer. But hear me out, try not to think of how practical this might be. But I think it's how Skyrim should be done.

No Caption Provided

Think Journey. The fantastic thing about Journey is that it's online component is so seamless. When players roam the desert other players will drop in or out of your game, to help you or/and to experience the game with you. But you're never stuck with the one person and even though the meeting was fleeting the impact. This dynamic experience is an element that can revive the barren lands of Skyrim. Lets face it, the world of Skyrim is not teeming with life. And even when you do see NPCs and monsters, it's quite apparent they're not real people. The game feels lonely, and so does Journey without a companion. Let's exploit this dynamic multiplayer so an individual's experience can be 'touched' by other players in their own world. It's important to emphasize 'touch'.

In today's multiplayer games it's become apparent that exposure to people every time and all the time is not as meaningful as meeting one person rarely. This is anecdotally evident from the testimonies of many Journey players. It would also ruin the atmosphere and theme of Skyrim to have many players in a, MMORPG like fashion, hack and slash at monsters. It's prudent to recognize that Skryim is an experience that lets the player know the world is expansive. But expansive does not mean completely empty. Think of this.

No Caption Provided

You're on a journey to Falkreath, in the distance you see a figure. You draw your sword, you don't know if this person is a friend or a foe. An assassin to loot your gold or a friendly face willing to trade. You approach tentatively, but the figure does not respond. When you finally reach him you recognize the dullness in his eyes and the purple glow of a resurrection spell. Out from the nearby river, an Argonian thief attacks.

This guessing game of the human nature adds a whole new dimension not only to the game but to multiplayer. Encounters with thugs and thieves can be actual encounters of thugs and thieves. The merchant you see on the road might actually have the potion you need or the pickaxe to mine the ore.

We don't need some unified world where all the players exist (Elders Online) or a 4 player COOP.The multiplayer can be meaningful in this way. In a sparse but connected land.

Here's some more ideas that could enhance this original idea:

• Footprints to let you know if a player is near by
    • Pair up with your friend at a nearby city and head out for adventures between the two of you (you would limit the amount of players)
    • Balance the game to similar levels so you always experience a fair fight
    • Fights near guard and cities will land the initiator in jail, maybe the victim can pardon the offence.
    • Crafting could actually be a trade
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Doctorchimp

Weird, it's almost like I've seen this before in a game.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

There's an Elder Scrolls MMO coming out dude. So yeah, got your wish.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By EchoEcho

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Wholemeal said:

... it would also ruin the atmosphere and theme of Skyrim to have many players in a, MMORPG like fashion ...

... we don't need some unified world where all the players exist (Elders Online) ...

Awkward comment is awkward!

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@EchoEcho said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Wholemeal said:

... it would also ruin the atmosphere and theme of Skyrim to have many players in a, MMORPG like fashion ...

... we don't need some unified world where all the players exist (Elders Online) ...

Yeah well, I'm not reading all of that so...

wholemeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By wholemeal

@Doctorchimp: Lol totally, never played it thought so it didn't come to mind. Was it just leaving messages or were they actually in your game?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Ghostiet
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:

@EchoEcho said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Wholemeal said:

Yeah well, I'm not reading all of that so...

Sad comment is sad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.