Need some modding advice

#1 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

So I've been modding skyrim like crazy and it is actually my first time modding ever. Mainly right now I'm just trying to make the game look better with things like skyrim hd. Weather effects, lush trees and grass etc.... I'm already about 30 minutes into the game but do you guys think it's a good idea to restart once I have all my mods set in place? Also I have already beaten the game on ps3 so I don't mind losin progress if this will help the game. Also any other mods you could recommend would be awesome. Thanks for te help duders.

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

I should have said before but as of now I har about 30 mods total between skyrim nexus and steam works and the game runs fine other than some frameratw drops due to the insane amount of vegetation. I'm also curious about mission packs people have made of those even exist ha

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

You better have SkyUI! If you play Skyrim on PC without SkyUI, you're doing it wrong.

#4 Edited by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

I'm not sure how it would help the game by restarting right now. So I say continue forward. You're using the nexus mods right? I heard about a Mr.minecraft mod that puts "Steve" in the game.

Oh and one that that lets you melt weapons and make arrows. Go here to find some awesome ones.

#5 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Also, Moonpath to Elsweyr is good.

#6 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -
@CL60
Ya I saw that one. Im actually playing on me tv with an Xbox controller so should I still get the sky ui mod? Or maybe I'll just switch to mouse and keyboard on my monitor
#7 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -
@CL60 Sorry didn't finish my thought but does the moon path mod just add new quests or challenges or what!? It's exciting to mod shit out haha!
#8 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Sackmanjones
@CL60
Ya I saw that one. Im actually playing on me tv with an Xbox controller so should I still get the sky ui mod? Or maybe I'll just switch to mouse and keyboard on my monitor
I don't know if SkyUI would be better or not if you're using a controller. Probably would.
#9 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Sackmanjones
@CL60 Sorry didn't finish my thought but does the moon path mod just add new quests or challenges or what!? It's exciting to mod shit out haha!
Moonpath to Elsweyr adds a quest chain that brings you to Elsweyr. Fully voiced, and all new area and some creature models.

Also if you want more variety from your other play through go download the monster mod. It adds 200+ new creatures. New models and everything.
#10 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -
@CL60
@Sackmanjones
Moonpath to Elsweyr adds a quest chain that brings you to Elsweyr. Fully voiced, and all new area and some creature models.

Also if you want more variety from your other play through go download the monster mod. It adds 200+ new creatures. New models and everything.
Awesome. I'll check all those out. I'm actually interested in some survival mods as well. I liked the hardcore mode in fallout NV so I could use more of that. Also maybe wanted to try the civil unrest mod. Any opinions on that?
#11 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Sackmanjones
@CL60
@Sackmanjones

Awesome. I'll check all those out. I'm actually interested in some survival mods as well. I liked the hardcore mode in fallout NV so I could use more of that. Also maybe wanted to try the civil unrest mod. Any opinions on that?
Never tried it. But there's another mod that I forget the name of and won't be able to find on my phone that I love, I'll try to find it when I get home if you want it and can't find it. It's a compilation of lore friendly custom armor, like 400 mb of custom armor.
#12 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -
@CL60 I actually saw a ton of those. Do they add armor sets or simply change existing ones into different styles?
#13 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Sackmanjones
@CL60 I actually saw a ton of those. Do they add armor sets or simply change existing ones into different styles?
They add new armorsets.
#14 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Sackmanjones Oh, and if you're a magic user get Midas Magic
#15 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

Get whatever mods make everyone nude. And the one that turns all of the Dragons into Randy Savage.

#16 Posted by MonetaryDread (2178 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Sackmanjones
@CL60
I don't know if SkyUI would be better or not if you're using a controller. Probably would.

Sky UI is basically the Morrowind UI ported to Skyrim. The new UI works with a controller, but is a lot slower and cumbersome than the original.

I recommend avoiding the mod "Sounds of Skyrim." It was removed from the Nexus about a week ago because the mods were destroying save games permanently. I actually had to restart my game because of it.

#17 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -
@MonetaryDread: Oh wow thats not good. I almost downloaded the realistic thunder pack but I wont just to be safe. Anyway I may get sky UI anyway. I play with a controller but just to the right of me is my mouse I can easily grab. If its really that good then hey why not! And I can always disable it if I don't like it
#18 Posted by Sumbog (507 posts) -

Just go onto Skyrim Nexus and download their manager, with this you can easily download and try out any mods that look interesting to you without too much work on your part.

#19 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -
@Sumbog Already got it. Super useful too. Will definitely be using it with fallout new rags as well
#20 Edited by Bloodlines (172 posts) -
#21 Edited by gike987 (1780 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

@CL60 said:

@Sackmanjones
@CL60

Sky UI is basically the Morrowind UI ported to Skyrim. The new UI works with a controller, but is a lot slower and cumbersome than the original.

I recommend avoiding the mod "Sounds of Skyrim." It was removed from the Nexus about a week ago because the mods were destroying save games permanently. I actually had to restart my game because of it.

I play with a controller and prefer Sky UI. I don't find it that much more cumbersome and it makes it much easier to compare and find items so in the end you end up spending less times in the menus anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.