Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Nervous about the Ps3 version (because of FO3)

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

I remember playing both the ps3 and xbox version of fallout 3 and it really stood out that the ps3 version was far inferior.  Now being a ps3 only owner should I be worried about the same issues for Skyrim? I know its a new engine and such but I remember something about them building it on the xbox which could or could not have any affect on it.  Either way I will be purchasing the game, just curious to see what you guys think.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By CL60

Wait and see. But the majority of the time multiplatform games look better on 360, how much better we will have to wait until it comes out. May be a big difference that's noticeable, or a very minor difference or no difference at all.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Both were pretty terrible. I thought the PS3 version looked better, too. I know it got the LOD patch earlier.

Right, Fallout. Sorry, just woke up with crazy allergies so I have no idea what's going on.

It's a totally new engine that will supposedly actually run well on consoles. That engine always kinda sucked on consoles. But all the stuff they have shown looks smooth and fairly decent, so I bet the PS3 version will be serviceable at least.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Surkov

There using a new game engine for Elder Scroll's V, so we'll just have to wait and see. 

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Aronman789

Why are you playing Bethesda games on consoles?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

New engine dude, new engine. 

Dangerlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Dangerlove
    I wouldn't worry about it. Having a crappy port at this points is unacceptable. And to be honest I think the port of fallout 3 looked totally fine on PS3. It's only when you have a side by side comparison that you see the minor differences.
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By amomjc

New Engine, so I would be surprised if they don't do their best to make both consoles look great. With the accessibility of PS3's architecture now I wouldn't be surprised if it even runs better on the PS3 at release.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By JoeyRavn

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Can you swear we'll get animations for diagonal movement? CAN YOU?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Aronman789 said:
    Why are you playing Bethesda games on consoles?
    A lot of people right now can not afford a gaming PC.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Hizang

Oblivion on the PS3 was a better version, if you put both up against each other the PS3 wins. Try not to get to far on the hype train, the game is GOING to have lots and lots of bugs, but hopefully kit will be so awesome we won't even care.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sreya92
    @Hizang said:

Oblivion on the PS3 was a better version, if you put both up against each other the PS3 wins. Try not to get to far on the hype train, the game is GOING to have lots and lots of bugs, but hopefully kit will be so awesome we won't even care.

This. Honestly it's probably best (especially for console gamers) to wait off on the game a little bit til Bethesda gets time to patch all the horrifyingly bad glitches and nonsense that will inevitably be going on in the game world
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By monkeyking1969

Wait and see, I'm not worried though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@TheDudeOfGaming said:
    I still can't believe it, it's like super birthday present.
    Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Raineko

The Fallout engine blew monkey balls though. It looked ugly, had crappy animations and was buggy as hell.
    The Skyrim definitely looks promising but we will have to wait. I still recommend everyone to buy the PC version.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Yeah, I want to get this for my PS3 too. As much as I want it day one it may be sound advice to just wait a couple of weeks and see where the chips fall.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By donkeycow

Well, chances are it will be smoother on the Xbox simply cause that is the main system they are building for, but i'm sure the PS3 version will be just fine, no need to panic.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Storms
    @Raineko: My computer is from 2001, albeit with graphics card, processor and ram upgraded as much as possible. I have trouble playing Youtube videos smoothly. Should I still get it on PC? Or should I stop paying off the credit card I used to buy my flatscreen that displays HD games and movies from my PS3 in glorious fashion and buy a gaming computer instead? 

Anyway, I never played F3 on the 360. I heard that some things looked better and some things looked worse. I have, however, played New Vegas and Oblivion on both consoles. I understand they fixed it up a little but, but when I played TESIV on the 360, there were constant loading screens out in the open world. Not so with the PS3. Can't remember the last time I was walking in the woods and got stopped in my tracks with "Loading...".  

New Vegas was awful on the 360. Objects like 25 feet away from me popping up. Pixelation city.  

So it would appear that if F3 was overall worse on the PS3, it's the fluke of the trend with Bethesda games. As a maker of PC games, Bethesda naturally prefers the Microsoft system, to my chagrin. Evidenced by Oblivion in that they haven't bothered to give Sony 90% of their DLC for it. Evidenced by F3 in that it took longer to get DLC. Completely unnoticed in New Vegas due to everything being released at once, and somewhat reversed due to looking better on the PS3. 

Therefore, I am not very worried that the PS3 users are going to get shafted this time. 
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Getz

@JoeyRavn said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Can you swear we'll get animations for diagonal movement? CAN YOU?

I can swear; they showed them in the demo they've been taking to all the conventions. It truly is the future.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By xyzygy

Wait and see. When Bethesda goes to show the game off whether it's at E3 or some convention they always use the 360 version. Even in interviews I've never ever seen them show the PS3 version, always 360. At least they're somewhat confident with that version... who knows about the PS3 though.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@MordeaniisChaos said:

That engine always kinda sucked on consoles. But all the stuff they have shown looks smooth and fairly decent, so I bet the PS3 version will be serviceable at least.

Vanilla anything Gamebryo always ran like crap (I fear the return of microstutter) without digging a little deeper into the .ini and searching for mods like "operation optimization".

At this point whenever I try to go back to Oblivion of Fallout 3, I end up just installing a billion mods, break the game in some irreparable way, and call it an evening. I like to think that after 300+ hours between both games straight up vanilla besides performance tweaks (the day I discovered Bag of Holding was a glorious one) I've earned it.

Either way, we are just going to have to wait and see what this engine can do. If you aren't super dead set on getting the game day one, it doesn't hurt to wait a little while just to hear what people are saying about it. Unfortunately we probably won't be seeing much in PS3 reviews, with the 360 version probably being the review copy that everyone gets with some weirdos out there reviewing the PC version.

If there are any problems on the PS3, I'm sure someone on some forum will be ready to bitch away.

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By corruptsaves

Oblivion came out later on the PS3 which is why it looked a bit better and had faster loading times.

TearsInRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By TearsInRain

I will always prefer the PS3 versions of games like these.  BluRay over DVD disc.  I also had very few problems with my PS3 versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3.

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By corruptsaves
    @TearsInRain
    My Oblivion save file got corrupt on PS3, so I'm going to make lots of files this time round. Even though it will make a mess. 
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Storms

@xyzygy: This implies that they are not confident with the PC version. In fact, it's just because they're historically cozy with Microsoft and Microsoft wants to sell some 360s. Bethesda has no special relationship with Sony. I mean, you don't think Morrowind could have worked on the PS2? I remember the PS2 being a little more advanced than the original XBOX. 

Love your avatar pic, by the way. Best show ever.

@corruptsaves:  Well, with a name like corruptsaves, it's no wonder. I actually always make a minimum of 15 saves for any RPG game on any medium. It's a habit drilled in to me from getting corrupted saves on everything from Dragon Quest, to Chrono Trigger/Cross, to Final Fantasy to Star Ocean, to Lunar, to Dragon Age, Pokemon, etc. I just don't take the chance. Good advice for anyone, for any game that allows you to manually save (and spit on games that don't). 

@TearsInRain
    said:
    I will always prefer the PS3 versions of games like these.  BluRay over DVD disc.  I also had very few problems with my PS3 versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3.

That, and each game pretty much installs on the PS HD. Even if one did the impossible and wrecked their BD hard copy nearly completely, the PS3 could play it with barely any data on it., after the initial install. At least, that's my understanding.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Storms said:

@xyzygy: This implies that they are not confident with the PC version. In fact, it's just because they're historically cozy with Microsoft and Microsoft wants to sell some 360s. Bethesda has no special relationship with Sony. I mean, you don't think Morrowind could have worked on the PS2? I remember the PS2 being a little more advanced than the original XBOX.

Love your avatar pic, by the way. Best show ever.

The XBOX was essentially a 733mhz PC with more RAM than the PS2 had and a far more complex and powerful GPU than the PS2's 'Graphics Synthesiser'. The PS2 definitely was not more advanced than the XBOX because the XBOX was essentially twice as fast with twice the amount of RAM. Morrowind may have been possible on the PS2 with the Hard Drive attached but it would've been a lot less complicated both in terms of graphics and map sizes.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Enigma777

Yea, the PS3 version of FO3 was junk. Not only did the trophies not work but the game kept freezing more than normal and there was the whole DLC issue.

I recommend that you do what I do: wait for the inevitable GOTY edition

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BasketSnake

I'm not sure if I'll get the ps3 or the xbox version. The DLC will be released on xbox first won't it?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By Yanngc33

If this game is like Fallout 3, than I can't wait for the game to randomly seize up everytime I get a notification :/

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Wasnt the new engine made for the 360 or somthin? 

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Storms
    @SeriouslyNow:  I'll take your word for it. The Cube was the best of that bunch, anyway (for the games -- Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, Star Fox Adventures, Twilight Princess, Rebel Strike . That was a fun generation... now I'm getting all nostalgic. This is totally off topic now, though. Right, my memory was serving me wrong. For some reason, I was thinking of the XBOX as the older system. Maybe because the 360 has that title now. XBOX was the more powerful system. 

However, as well-earned as that relationship with Bethesda was, it didn't need to affect several of their releases on this generation:

http://www.tilander.org/aurora/comp/gdc2009_Tilander_Filippov_SPU.pdf  

Someone just needs to show these charts to Bethesda before Skyrim is released. Or the Wikipedia article on the cell processor. 

@BasketSnake: No. They've finally stopped playing that game. 

@The_Laughing_Man: No. It works better for consoles but it was just designed, in bits and pieces, to work better period. As they overhauled each area of the engine, they changed more than they thought they would and eventually ended up with something that wasn't the same at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.