Never played a Elder scrolls game, should I get this?

#1 Posted by Neverpraying (162 posts) -

I apologize in advance if this an over asked question before by other people, but I have never played an elder scrolls game, and this game is so hyped and so many people are looking forward to the game, should I buy it even tho I've not played any of the other skyrim games before it?

#2 Posted by Brians (1463 posts) -

@Neverpraying: I don't think you should blind buy my advice is to watch the 12 hour marathon of Skyrim on Thursday and see if you like it.

#3 Posted by Deathshroud (359 posts) -

Yeah thats what I would advise as well . Also make sure that something like fantasy is in your liking .

#4 Posted by Neverpraying (162 posts) -

@Brians said:

@Neverpraying: I don't think you should blind buy my advice is to watch the 12 hour marathon of Skyrim on Thursday and see if you like it.

Well I do really like Fantasy games, I'm a big MTG nut, and I was big into DND 3.5. I did love Bethesda's fallout 3 as well.

It's just I have never played any of the other games, would I be missing a lot of the plot or knowing what's even going on?

#5 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

I'm going in not knowing what to fully expect either, I played only a few hours of Oblivion and thought it was okay but I'm having high hopes for Skyrim. 
 
All that hype can't be for nothing, right?

#6 Posted by Brians (1463 posts) -

@Neverpraying: No the game is accessible for someone who is new to the series. I started with

Oblivion and not knowing the backstory didn't bother me.

#7 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (434 posts) -

Maybe if you have no idea, wait for it to come down in price or scout out the video reviews/quicklook/lets-plays of the interweb

#8 Edited by Neverpraying (162 posts) -

@Brians said:

@Neverpraying: No the game is accessible for someone who is new to the series. I started with

Oblivion and not knowing the backstory didn't bother me.

Alright thanks for the help. Only thing I have to get now is more money, lol.

@GloriousDinosaur said:

Maybe if you have no idea, wait for it to come down in price or scout out the video reviews/quicklook/lets-plays of the interweb

I may end up doing that. Since at the moment I'm broke, but since my birthday is later this month I'll get some money. So that would give me time to decide from gameplay videos.

#9 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@Neverpraying said:

@Brians said:

@Neverpraying: I don't think you should blind buy my advice is to watch the 12 hour marathon of Skyrim on Thursday and see if you like it.

Well I do really like Fantasy games, I'm a big MTG nut, and I was big into DND 3.5. I did love Bethesda's fallout 3 as well.

It's just I have never played any of the other games, would I be missing a lot of the plot or knowing what's even going on?

Most people have this legitimate concern however don't worry about it. Every new entry in the TES series usually has its events happen years and years after the past game's events, making the events more like a background knowledge base for the curious. As for whether or not to jump in blind not experiencing past games, I recommend (like the others here) to check out that 12 hour marathon by Greg Kasavin or any gameplay video that will come out soon after the release. Just remember it's been over 5 years since the last one and things have been changed around so it won't be completely similar to the past games.

#10 Posted by Neverpraying (162 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

@Neverpraying said:

@Brians said:

@Neverpraying: I don't think you should blind buy my advice is to watch the 12 hour marathon of Skyrim on Thursday and see if you like it.

Well I do really like Fantasy games, I'm a big MTG nut, and I was big into DND 3.5. I did love Bethesda's fallout 3 as well.

It's just I have never played any of the other games, would I be missing a lot of the plot or knowing what's even going on?

Most people have this legitimate concern however don't worry about it. Every new entry in the TES series usually has its events happen years and years after the past game's events, making the events more like a background knowledge base for the curious. As for whether or not to jump in blind not experiencing past games, I recommend (like the others here) to check out that 12 hour marathon by Greg Kasavin or any gameplay video that will come out soon after the release. Just remember it's been over 5 years since the last one and things have been changed around so it won't be completely similar to the past games.

Alright thanks.

From everyone recommending it I'll check out the 12 hour marathon for sure.

#11 Posted by alexl86 (621 posts) -

If you love Fallout and Fantasy, this is like a combination of those. There's a reason why people called Fallout 3 "Oblivion with guns". There are no story hooks from previous games in this, though there will probably be some reference to the events of Oblivion.

#12 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

@Neverpraying said:

@Brians said:

@Neverpraying: I don't think you should blind buy my advice is to watch the 12 hour marathon of Skyrim on Thursday and see if you like it.

Well I do really like Fantasy games, I'm a big MTG nut, and I was big into DND 3.5. I did love Bethesda's fallout 3 as well.

Then YES. Get it you fool!

#13 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2992 posts) -

@Jost1 said:

@Neverpraying said:

@Brians said:

@Neverpraying: I don't think you should blind buy my advice is to watch the 12 hour marathon of Skyrim on Thursday and see if you like it.

Well I do really like Fantasy games, I'm a big MTG nut, and I was big into DND 3.5. I did love Bethesda's fallout 3 as well.

Then YES. Get it you fool!

yes open world rpg's lend themselves well to people who can create their own motivation for exploring (DnD player means you have experience being creative with role playing) rather that just following the orders the game gives you. Not to mention the myriad of ways you can accomplish the task of a quest.

#14 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@Brians said:

@Neverpraying: No the game is accessible for someone who is new to the series. I started with

Oblivion and not knowing the backstory didn't bother me.

Same here. The land is populated with books that do a great job of painting the history of the world. Having never played an Elder Scrolls game (and being a RPG lover) Oblivion became one of my favorite games of all time.

#15 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

@Neverpraying: You won't need a knowledge of the intricate lore of the games, each game is essentially a self contained story, though, judging by the trailers, there might be some references to events from TES IV.

Basically do you:

  1. Like RPG's?
  2. Like exploration?
  3. Like Dragons?
  4. Like actually Role Playing? (i.e. inventing backstory etc.)

After finishing Oblivion for like the 5th time, I made a new character who would stalk and assassinate targets and leave a note on their bodies, even though the game never tracks this, it gave me another dozen or so hours out of it. You say you were into DND? inventing stuff like this and role playing should be second nature, makes the game feel more unique to you, and the games openness lends itself well to the idea of making a completely unique character with his/her own motivations.

Like my Argonian aristocrat who would steal plates from everyone in town and display them in his lavish house.

#16 Posted by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

Sure why not, though if you haven't played them before & depending on the games you tend to play, it might be good to rent first then pick up later if you do like it. GLHB!

#17 Posted by Neferon (262 posts) -

If you like shouting at stuff, re-arranging people's cutlery and ressurecting chickens, this is the game for you!

#18 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

If you've played through Fallout 3 and like fantasy in general, there's no reason for you not to pick up the game. Still, I'd suggest watching some gameplay first (but, then, I'd recommend that before purchasing just about any game). It's easily going to be one of the better games this year. It requires no real investment in earlier titles in the series, in much the same way that Fallout 3 and New Vegas didn't. The only ones I'd say should skip the game are those who actively disliked Oblivion. Otherwise, it's as safe a game purchase as we'll get this year.

#19 Posted by BUCK3TM4N (549 posts) -

WATCH THEN PURCHASE ON STEAM

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.