New game engine being used!

• 88 results
#1 Edited by Vital (159 posts) -

Stumbled across this while searching for more information 

Source: 
http://twitter.com/bethblog

EDIT: Noticed that there was a post in this topic by  BlastoTheSpectre  ( http://www.giantbomb.com/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/61-33394/it-finally-got-announced/35-471046/?page=7 ) Sorry about that!
#2 Posted by AlisterCat (5796 posts) -

Now the internet can stop bitching. Yay!

#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14575 posts) -

Thank god. 

I can't think of anything else to say. I'm ready for more Elder Scrolls!

#4 Posted by endless_void (703 posts) -

About damn time. That previous engine was old as fuck.

#5 Posted by awesomeusername (4250 posts) -

Awesome! Finally not that crappy engine.

#6 Posted by harris (848 posts) -

This is great news. Really can't wait for this!

#7 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" Thank god.  I can't think of anything else to say. I'm ready for more Elder Scrolls! "
Indeed.
#8 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" Thank god.  I can't think of anything else to say. I'm ready for more Elder Scrolls! "
This, but I'd also like to add the following:

Jesus Christ, finally.  it's about time.
#9 Posted by Animasta (14746 posts) -

I have my doubts

#10 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I'm excited about TESV all over again now.  11/11/11 cannot come soon enough.

Truth be told, though, if it was Gamebryo I would still eat that shit up and love every minute of it.

#11 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

please be idtech, please be idtech... 

it's not gonna be idtech.

#12 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

That is brilliant news! The scale of there last engine was brilliant but it was outdated. Excitement just went up a lot!

#13 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

Hopefully that means a new engine for the next Fallout game.

#14 Posted by Galiant (2197 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" Hopefully that means a new engine for the next Fallout game. "
My thoughts exactly.
#15 Posted by ajamafalous (12233 posts) -

Check out our new engine, a modified version of the previous Gamebryo engine!

This one has HDR.

#16 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Woooo

#17 Posted by nick_verissimo (1406 posts) -

I've been wondering about that since the trailer was released last night. Now, I can officially get excited without reservations!

#18 Posted by SSully (4402 posts) -

I hope its built from the ground up, and not just a "Heavily Modified Gamebryo engine!." Bungie is a fine example of why that crap does not work.

#19 Posted by Mikemcn (7064 posts) -

Hopefully it is actually less janky.

#20 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2031 posts) -

Thank. Christ. 

I loved Morrowind and Oblivion when I played them but going back to them is like pulling wisdom teeth. Given a new engine, TES is a relevant series. 

#21 Posted by Forcen (1859 posts) -

The Rage engine anyone? What is it, id Tech 6?

#22 Posted by BaneFireLord (2969 posts) -

Oh, thank fucking god. This is great.

#23 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
so much this.
#24 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (665 posts) -
@harris said:
" This is great news. Really can't wait for this! "
If they use a modified version of the RAGE engine, then the next Elder Scrolls game will be EPIC win for all RPG gamers. n_n
#25 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

I would imagine that whatever they come up with will be the technology powering all of their franchises, looking forward to this.

#26 Posted by Unchained (1090 posts) -

I can't wait to see what open world engine Bethesda can put out five years after Oblivion. I can't fucking wait for this game. 

#27 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

a new engine sounds good, as long as that doesn't mean new, different bugs
#28 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@captain_clayman said:

" please be idtech, please be idtech...  it's not gonna be idtech. "

It sure isn't. Todd Howard pretty much said this in a rcent EGM interview. Also I think people are giving idtech 5 more credit than it should deserve. In that interview Howard alluded to that engine not being dynamic enough for what they wanted out of an Elder Scrolls game.

I mean Rage isn't even going to have day/night cycles. John Carmack says it's because there's always a time of day where any scene will look like complete crap, no matter how much work an artist puts into it and they're going for visual perfection. I frankly don't believe that.

@shadowknight508 said:

" @harris said:

If they use a modified version of the RAGE engine, then the next Elder Scrolls game will be EPIC win for all RPG gamers. n_n "
Actually, no it wouldn't. Read up on the Rage engine. It's not the end-all top of the line engine, ya'll.
#29 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" Hopefully that means a new engine for the next Fallout game. "
I can't imagine fallout without it being extremely janky though...
#30 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

This is odd, as other sites have said the game is simply running on a "heavily modified" gamebryo engine. 
Guess I should go with Bethesda, but the guys on Twitter don't always know what they're talking about.

#31 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

This is fantastic news. Such a bummer about all the thoroughly fucked Gamebryo games.

#32 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -
@shadowknight508 said:
" @harris said:
If they use a modified version of the RAGE engine, then the next Elder Scrolls game will be EPIC win for all RPG gamers. n_n "
Oh, you mean the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine? But seriously, that's what I think of when people say Rage engine.
#33 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Yeah, speculation happens when you say one thing then say another.

#34 Posted by OtakuGamer (1319 posts) -
Finally!
#35 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" @captain_clayman said:

It sure isn't. Todd Howard pretty much said this in a rcent EGM interview. Also I think people are giving idtech 5 more credit than it should deserve. In that interview Howard alluded to that engine not being dynamic enough for what they wanted out of an Elder Scrolls game.

I mean Rage isn't even going to have day/night cycles. John Carmack says it's because there's always a time of day where any scene will look like complete crap, no matter how much work an artist puts into it and they're going for visual perfection. I frankly don't believe that. "
Frankly, kid, you have no experience at all with 3d dynamic lighting and don't know shit. Some devs just throw a single directional light in the sky and call it a day, and you can tell when they do that cus the shadows look like ass.
#36 Posted by wh1terav3n (661 posts) -

Yay no Gamebryo! To the future HO!

#37 Edited by omghisam (310 posts) -

Now they just need better writers, voice actors, enemy designers, combat and leveling systems and it'll be a decent game.

#38 Posted by Australia (126 posts) -

I can now sleep easy.

#39 Posted by GravityProof (282 posts) -

Woo HOO! now I can avoid this game because I hate fantasy games and not because it's an ugly piece of shit!

#40 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @captain_clayman said:

I mean Rage isn't even going to have day/night cycles. John Carmack says it's because there's always a time of day where any scene will look like complete crap, no matter how much work an artist puts into it and they're going for visual perfection. I frankly don't believe that. "
Frankly, kid, you have no experience at all with 3d dynamic lighting and don't know shit. Some devs just throw a single directional light in the sky and call it a day, and you can tell when they do that cus the shadows look like ass. "
Oh hey, it's a troll. Come back when you have something to say that' has some intent other than to condescend, "Kid."

BTW if you want the ability to ignore users so badly, why not use your own mental filters and ignore the posts manually? Because then you'd starve to death without people feeding the trolls. You would literally post nothing at all.
#41 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @captain_clayman said:

Frankly, kid, you have no experience at all with 3d dynamic lighting and don't know shit. Some devs just throw a single directional light in the sky and call it a day, and you can tell when they do that cus the shadows look like ass. "
Oh hey, it's a troll. Come back when you have something to say that' has some intent other than to condescend, "Kid."  BTW if you want the ability to ignore users so badly, why not use your own mental filters and ignore the posts manually? Because then you'd starve to death without people feeding the trolls. You would literally post nothing at all. "
I'd like you to know a single thing about something before acting like you're an expert. Dynamic lighting is hard, building a really good day night cycle into an engine is hard. People who have any kind of 3d experience know that, random jackasses who have opinions on shit they know nothing about don't know that. And now you know. Some people here actually know a few things about the logistics that go into a game engine, so you can't just guess and hope nobody notices you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. K?
#42 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" @ryanwho said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @captain_clayman said:

Oh hey, it's a troll. Come back when you have something to say that' has some intent other than to condescend, "Kid."  BTW if you want the ability to ignore users so badly, why not use your own mental filters and ignore the posts manually? Because then you'd starve to death without people feeding the trolls. You would literally post nothing at all. "
I'd like you to know a single thing about something before acting like you're an expert. Dynamic lighting is hard, building a really good day night cycle into an engine is hard. People who have any kind of 3d experience know that, random jackasses who have opinions on shit they know nothing about don't know that. And now you know. Some people here actually know a few things about the logistics that go into a game engine, so you can't just guess and hope nobody notices you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. K? "
I love the argument you're having with yourself. I never said it wasn't hard, but your realizing this requires you to read and analyze what you read with reason. You are incredible at reading one thing and interpreting another.

So come back when you have something to say about whether or not TES5 will use idtech5. Not shit about how hard lighting is. Grow up.
#43 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

" This is odd, as other sites have said the game is simply running on a "heavily modified" gamebryo engine. Guess I should go with Bethesda, but the guys on Twitter don't always know what they're talking about. "

Bethesda themselves said their next game would be on a heavily modified Gamebryo, and then later Bethesda themselves said it'd be on a new engine.

@ryanwho said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @captain_clayman said:

Lol, you attacking him like an idiot when he's right.  Rage uses prebaked shadows because of the streaming nature of the textures.  They could still simulate day and night but the shadows would never move and they'd be losing a large advantage of using idtech 5 in the first place.
#44 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I'm embarrassed for you. Moving on. 

Is it bad that the thing I'm looking forward to most with this game is a variant on Mart's Mutant Mod?

#45 Posted by MattyFTM (14442 posts) -

Gamebryo isn't a bad engine. Plenty of well built, quality products have been made using Gamebryo. It's Bethesda's implementation of the engine that is terrible. The engine is good, it's just that Bethesda are incapable of creating an unglitchy game. They're just going to create another glitchy game in a different engine, and murder that engine's reputation like they did with Gamebryo. 

Moderator Online
#46 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" Gamebryo isn't a bad engine. Plenty of well built, quality products have been made using Gamebryo. It's Bethesda's implementation of the engine that is terrible. The engine is good, it's just that Bethesda are incapable of creating an unglitchy game. They're just going to create another glitchy game in a different engine, and murder that engine's reputation like they did with Gamebryo.  "
I think its just kind of baffling that they can work in one engine so long and still have the issues they do. Meanwhile, look at the evolution of the Anvil engine over the various Assassin's Creed games. Every game they fix problems and get more out of their engine. In theory, this is why people stick with one engine for long periods of time. And then you have Gamebryo.
#47 Posted by KinkyWizard (52 posts) -

bulls*it... they said that for fallout3...

#48 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4894 posts) -
@ryanwho
@MrKlorox said:
" @captain_clayman said:

Frankly, kid, you have no experience at all with 3d dynamic lighting and don't know shit. Some devs just throw a single directional light in the sky and call it a day, and you can tell when they do that cus the shadows look like ass.
LMAO, Internet condescension.

Good try, "kid".
#49 Posted by DystopiaX (5365 posts) -

Would rather it be Idtech, that shit looks amazing.

#50 Posted by ch3burashka (5310 posts) -

They'd be crazy not to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.