Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

new player, 360 or pc (only concerned with controls)

shadykx125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By shadykx125

My pc is plenty powerful to play this game. Im concerned because ive never played an elder scrolls game and im wondering if i will prefer the controls on the pc or the xbox. Can anyone give me a quick overview how it works on either platform. Also these games dont have multiplayer right?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Wuddel

@shadykx125: No multiplayer but first-person perspective. Usually you can use your 360 controller on the PC if you want that. Mouse & keyboard and pad are simultaneously active then.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By falling_fast

nope. the elder scrolls games have never had multiplayer.

Controls-wise, in my experience, from playing Oblivion, it comes down to what you're more comfortable with. Though mouse and keyboard might be slightly better if you're trying to play an archer, and I much prefer the way walking/running is handled on pc controls *ie you have the option to toggle run on and off.

Oblivion wasn't like Starcraft II or Arma or something where you need the entire keyboard. For the most part, your left hand will be on and around the wasd area, and your right will be on the mouse. Like an fps, almost.

also it will likely just perform better on a pc. less immersion breaking load time and stuff.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By flaminghobo

@shadykx125: Playing Oblivion on both the Xbox 360 and PC, I found that the menus were much easier to navigate on the PC. However, looking at Skyrim footage, it would appear that they have attempted to optimise the menus for the gamepad. I'd recommend you buy it for the PC since you'll be able to test both control schemes, as well as have a prettier game to look at.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By falling_fast

@FlamingHobo said:

@shadykx125: Playing Oblivion on both the Xbox 360 and PC, I found that the menus were much easier to navigate on the PC. However, looking at Skyrim footage, it would appear that they have attempted to optimise the menus for the gamepad. I'd recommend you buy it for the PC since you'll be able to test both control schemes, as well as have a prettier game to look at.

oh right, I forgot that you could use a 360 controller on a pc, durr *feels dumb*.

in that case, I don't see why you wouldn't get it for pc. more value for your money. ie. you can try both and see what you like, rather than limiting yourself to one. and they cost the same, so why not.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By jetsetwillie

as the games not out yet if going to be pretty trick for anyone to give anything other than conjecture on how it differs from KB/M to Controller.

i intend to try it with a KB/M and then try it with a controller.

im no input snob and don't care either way really. but i will say i much preferred The Witcher 2 with a 360 controller.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By bioblood22

If you can come near maxing this out on a rig then I'll always say PC the hell outta it.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By sixpin

I would have to echo the rest of the posters here. If you are cool with playing it on your PC then go that route. You'll have the option to play it with keyboard & mouse or controller at any time you change your mind. I'm planning on playing through it on the 360 first, but I'll play it on PC for a second play through later. No real logic behind it, just how I play Bethesda and Bioware games most of the time.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By SlightConfuse

i liked the 360 controller for oblivion, will do the same for skyrim

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By iamjohn

How do you get to the point where you have a powerful enough PC to play a game where that becomes a viable option for you and yet you don't know that you can hook up an Xbox 360 controller to a PC and it works instantaneously? I'm not even trying to be a dick here - it just blows my mind that there's people who play PC games but have a console and have never tried hooking these USB controllers into their PC for God knows what reason.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gike987

You can use your 360 controller for almost all modern PC games that would work on a controller. It would surprise me if Skyrim did not allow the 360 controller to work.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Floppypants

I'll be playing Skyrim on PC with a 360 controller, like I did with Oblivion.  It's not a twitch shooter that benefits from mouse precision.  I find the 360 controller more ergonomic and comfortable for long play sessions.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

You could download it first on PC, see if you like it, then buy it for whatever platform you feel you'd like more compared to your time with the game. Hook up a 360 controller to that PC.

Kasswara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kasswara

Buy it on PC. As others have noted, you can hook up the 360 controller to the PC if you don't like using the mouse and keyboard. It's a win/win, you get better performance, better visuals, mod support, and your choice of either mouse and keyboard or 360 controller.

shadykx125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shadykx125

Sounds like either way I cant really go wrong lol. The only things leaning me towards the 360 is the fact that amazon gives a $10 coupon, xbox has achievements and I like that challenge, and I have a small SSD in my pc so I would have to delete an old game to install. None of these things alone would make me get it on 360 but all together I think thats probably the way I will go. Thanks for the input all.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JP_Russell

@shadykx125 said:

xbox has achievements and I like that challenge

The PC version will have Steam achievements as it is a Steamworks game.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By MachoFantastico

PC, you should hopefully get a nicer looking version and you can still choose between keyboard/mouse and Xbox 360 controller.

Speaking of which, have we seen the PC version of Skyrim at all? Still concerned about it.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fjordson

@shadykx125 said:

My pc is plenty powerful to play this game. Im concerned because ive never played an elder scrolls game and im wondering if i will prefer the controls on the pc or the xbox. Can anyone give me a quick overview how it works on either platform. Also these games dont have multiplayer right?

I've only played a little bit, but the menus and UI are pretty much tailor made for a gamepad. Without mods, that's probably the best way to go. Feels great.

You can plug in a 360 controller to your PC, though. If your PC can handle the game then might as well do that.

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By w00ties

With controls in mind I would go with the 360. Todd Howard made duel wielding sound relatively easy while he had the 360 controller in his hands.

I just preordered a copy for the 360 today, but as others have pointed out you can always use a 360 controller with your PC.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By EdIsCool

@iAmJohn: 600-800 dollars to a builder gets you a capable PC ports machine. Probably has a fancy case too. You always have the option of sacrifiing 20% performance so that you dont have to know anything about building a PC.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Justin258

If I had the rig to run it I would be getting it on PC, as there are no disadvantages to getting it on there. That is, unless the PC version has more bugs.

If you prefer a controller, you'll be able to use a controller on the PC. You'll also have access to M+K if you decide to use them. You'll also have better graphics, provided your rig is up to par, and since it's a Steamworks game, if you lose it or break the disc you'll be able to download it if you ever need a reinstall. Also since it's a Steam game, it will have the same achievements as the 360 and PS3.

Finally, you'll have full access to mods.

Like I said before, if you've got the rig to run it there really is no reason to get it on anything other than PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.