New Skyrim DLC - "Hearthfire"

• 71 results
#1 Edited by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

From BethBlog.

With Skyrim’s newest game add-on, Hearthfire, you can purchase land and build your own home from the ground up – from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with an armory, alchemy laboratory, stable, garden, and more. Use all-new tools like the drafting table and carpenter’s workbench to transform quarried stone, clay, and sawn logs into structures and furnishings. Even transform your house into a home by adopting children.

Hearthfire releases on Xbox LIVE next week (September 4th) for 400 Microsoft Points.

This seems kind of cool! Thoughts?

#2 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

Time to fall back into Skyrim again.

#3 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

there was a PC mod that allowed you to build your own home, seemed pretty cool when the gamespot guys showed it but i never had any hands on experience with it myself, I'll have a look into this myself but unless there is story stuff in there too it might as well be horse armor

#4 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (733 posts) -

Sounds like another DLC pack which is utterly skippable.

#5 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

Nice. Only 5 dollars too.

#6 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

Dawnguard on PSN yet?

#7 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

The Elder Scolls V: Skyrim - Sims Edition.

#8 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Game of the Year.

#9 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

I want a shivering isles :(

#10 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Eh. At this point, I think I'm done with Skyrim. It never grabbed me the way New Vegas grabbed me. Plus, I've got a feeling that Dark Souls will still be eating me alive when this DLC drops for PC.

#11 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

Fun.

#12 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

Nothing about this DLC sounds appealing to me, so I guess I'll be passing on it.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11009 posts) -

@Galiant said:

Dawnguard on PSN yet?

The last I heard they said they weren't going to put it on PS3 until it didn't break the game, so...Probably not any time soon.

#14 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan

@Galiant said:

Dawnguard on PSN yet?

The last I heard they said they weren't going to put it on PS3 until it didn't break the game, so...Probably not any time soon.

Yeah. My point being, what the fuck are they doing even working on more DLC before Dawnguard for PS3 is out?

Now that I have a job and can afford keeping my PC up to date, I am never buying any of their games on console again - I'm sick of all the crap you have to put up with as a console player.
#15 Posted by ShawnS (165 posts) -

It could be a pretty neat way to give you non-combat stuff to work on between DLC and while working on some post-ending quest stuff. It'd be neat if it took days or weeks (or longer) for the house to get finished or if it required scavenging for "ingredients" and supplies to speed up the process. I like that kinda stuff.

#16 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11009 posts) -

@Galiant: I think the answer is probably a combination of them not caring, and having started work on this DLC a while ago, and this coming before DawnGuard is coincidental.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (24794 posts) -

How is Bethesda still this fucked when it comes to PS3 development?

#18 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Ha ha, wow, another xbox DLC exclusive. What does it even do? Do MS think it'll attract people into leaving, say PC Skyrim to buy the very shameful mod-less 360 version? Come on. I feel sorry for the PS3 players who are getting totally shafted by Bethesda's lack of support. Especially when their version of the game was horrible at launch and for a few months afterwards.

#19 Posted by chilibean_3 (1642 posts) -

Seems cheap and neat for people playing on consoles. I've got these PC mods to do that over here though.

#20 Posted by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -

What better way to celebrate my character spending a year in Skyrim?

#21 Posted by Mike76x (558 posts) -

Finally, I will have home worthy of my in game awesomeness.

I need more mannequins, damnit.

#22 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

hey i guys im still waiting for dawnguard

#23 Posted by wjb (1662 posts) -

Might wait for a more in-depth DLC and rope this into that. Building a house seems neat, but I'm not desperate to play more Skyrim just for this.

#24 Posted by cbarnes86 (556 posts) -

When it comes to content, sure it doesn't have a ton of story like Dawnguard, but it is only 400 points. Seems like a very neat way of having your own house with services within that you need. I loved the Wizard's Tower (I think that is what was called) from Oblivion and this reminds me of that sort of, but you can customize it.

#25 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -

Still holding out for horse armor myself, this will suffice.... for now. But seriously any excuse to jump back into Skyrim is always welcome

#26 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

I'll still pick it up because I love the idea but I was hoping for something more substantial.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14830 posts) -

Seems like a cool addition but makes all the other houses in the game absolutely useless.

#28 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (370 posts) -

@Klei said:

Ha ha, wow, another xbox DLC exclusive. What does it even do? Do MS think it'll attract people into leaving, say PC Skyrim to buy the very shameful mod-less 360 version? Come on. I feel sorry for the PS3 players who are getting totally shafted by Bethesda's lack of support. Especially when their version of the game was horrible at launch and for a few months afterwards.

Microsoft isn't targeting the PC market they're targeting Sony.

#29 Posted by Milkman (16791 posts) -

This is not what I want from my Skyrim DLC.

#30 Posted by Bollard (5550 posts) -

£3.33 on Steam and I'm sold.

Also so much for them fucking lying about making "only Expansion Pack size DLC". Pfft.

#31 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

The only thing I want in the world is more Skyrim downloadable content. Skyrim grabbed me so fucking hard, so any content, no matter what it is, has me pumped. This is honestly the one thing I want, is a customizable home.

#32 Posted by natetodamax (19206 posts) -

I prefer stuff like Shivering Isles over this.

#33 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

Great, I can now start an orphanage and raise the next generation of The Elder Scrolls!

#34 Posted by Sin4profit (2932 posts) -

It's cool to see as something that may be in future developed Bethesda games.

Once all the DLC is released i'll probably buy it on a steam discount before i go back to Skyrim.

#35 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Until they give a fuck about us people on PS3 why should I get excited about this, I'm still waiting for Dawngaurd over here. That being said Skyrim never grabbed me the same way Oblivion did, I spent over 400 hours with Oblivion, I've maybe spent about 30 hours with Skyrim.

#36 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

For five dollars why not, although it probably won't be a day one purchase for me like Dawnguard was. I'm kind of hoping that the next DLC after this one will add a new landmass a la Shivering Isles for Oblivion or Bloodmoon for Morrowind.

#37 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

@hangedtoaster said:

Still holding out for horse armor myself, this will suffice.... for now.

Don't worry, this is the first step toward House Armor! Your house is now ready for battle, with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim™ House Armor Pack! Features five styles of armor for your house! There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

#38 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

At this point I feel like I could never touch Skyrim again and I'll be happy. The Elder Scrolls universe never really stood out as much to me as the Fallout universe does.

With Skyrim I didn't even do 50% of the stuff and I feel fine leaving it.

With Fallout I wanted to know every damn thing I could and do as much as I possibly could.

The only way I'd buy this is if you could make a fort rather then a house.

I spent the majority of Skyrim wishing I could be the Jarl of a Small fort/town and this seems like it's on the right path. Although thats probably not in the style of Bethesda games.

#39 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

Nahhh... Oh wait 5 bucks, sure!

#40 Posted by Bulby33 (590 posts) -

The correct answer to this announcement is: "fuck yes, bring it."

#41 Posted by MonetaryDread (2031 posts) -

If I could pre-order this DLC on Steam right now I would.

#42 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

*Sigh* I gave up on dawngaurd, not skyrim in general just dawngaurd if they ever do release it on ps3 they better give it some exlusive content or something if they want me to get it. As for this I will get this if it comes out for ps3 before I get a better graphics card.

#43 Posted by Mike76x (558 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Seems like a cool addition but makes all the other houses in the game absolutely useless.

Most of them are already useless, since you only need one.

After over 300+ hours the only houses I've "lived in" were Breezehome and now Hjerim, but I still use the other houses for storage.

I can easily see my building a house being the longest quest yet.

#44 Posted by Demoskinos (14830 posts) -

@Mike76x said:

@Demoskinos said:

Most of them are already useless, since you only need one.

After over 300+ hours the only houses I've "lived in" were Breezehome and now Hjerim, but I still use the other houses for storage.

I can easily see my building a house being the longest quest yet.

Somewhat true although the house you can buy in Winterhold was pretty damn swanky. I'm just wondering really how in depth this is going to be. Because in the video it showed him crafting what looked like locks for the doors and he had nails in his inventory and everything. This could actually... be a lot of fun.

#45 Posted by Ghost_of_Perdition (735 posts) -

I wonder if the deeds allow you to buy predetermined plots of land or if they'll allow you to choose a specific spot. If it's the latter, then I know a perfect spot on the edge of Lake Ilinalta.

Also, you know you've been playing Skyrim too long if you know bodies of water by name.

#46 Posted by ConfusedOwl (941 posts) -

I'm really into things like this. Anything to make the game more immersive and sense I have the game for 360 and can't utilize mods this will be perfect. I don't have any issues with dropping 5 bucks for this.

#47 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

that looks awesome

#48 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@cap123 said:

I want a shivering isles :(

Id pay for just a sound pack of Sheogath. 
#49 Posted by LoggerRythm (190 posts) -

So this is what happens when mods show up on a console.

#50 Posted by Butler (384 posts) -

I kinda like the idea of playing a more mundane fantasy game where you're not the prophesied hero or the uber important guy. Just a dude who works a farm and sometimes has to fend off dire bears and ents and other malicious magical creatures.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.