November 11

#1 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -

It just came to my attention that Skyrim's release date is Remembrance Day in Canada. 
 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 
 
Don't get me wrong, no disrespect but goddamn. That extra one day wait is going to be killer. 
 
Sorry if this has already been posted, I did a search but nothing came up. Are other Canadians not sad about this. :(

#2 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

I assume stores or courier services are not working on Remembrance Day? Some courier services deliver your purchases a day earlier then the release so you might get lucky then. Unless the game is locked until it's officially released.

#3 Posted by supermike6 (3586 posts) -

Don't they have Remembrance Day in America too? Or is it called something different. Anyways, I didn't even know stores closed on Remembrance Day here, plus I don't care about Skyrim, so I'm not too worried.

#4 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
Don't they have Remembrance Day in America too? Or is it called something different. Anyways, I didn't even know stores closed on Remembrance Day here, plus I don't care about Skyrim, so I'm not too worried.
It's called Veteran's Day here. It's why all the CODs come out at that time.
#5 Edited by Tonyyj (141 posts) -

Most stores are closed where I live on Remembrance Day. I think in America it's called Veteran's Day? Not too sure, but I heard they still have open hours that day other than government buildings. 
 
EDIT: Also I did trade-in preorder at Gamestop (I know, I know..) so all I can do is wait. At least I'll have Uncharted 3!

#6 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Tonyyj said:
Not too sure, but I heard they still have open hours that day other than government buildings.
Yep. Commerce still happens.
#7 Posted by MisterDunlap (245 posts) -

Does anyone actually know why the release date is 11-11-11? I'm just wondering if it has some other kind of significance instead of just sounding cool.

#8 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

Remembrance for the countless dragon lives lost to the touch of my blade I hope.

#9 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -
@MrKlorox: I know in Canada, some provinces require stores to remain closed on most holidays by law.
#10 Edited by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -
@DarthOniXVIII said:

Does anyone actually know why the release date is 11-11-11? I'm just wondering if it has some other kind of significance instead of just sounding cool.

I guess at some point in development they felt like they had a good pace and decided that they needed a date to aim for. Not to mention the fact that it's only a month before Christmas so it'll make a great gift for those who want it.
#11 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

I've got mine coming through Steam, so I'm covered, but yeah, the Remembrance Day release may indeed cause problems for Canadian retail shoppers.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

At least it wasn't "I just realized that Skyrim's release date is all 1's." If it came to that, I'd have to dig up NekuSakuraba's "I realized what Fate of Two Worlds abbreviates to" thread.

#13 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Haha! That actually came to my mind when I made the topic name, that's why I didn't include the 2011 part.
#14 Posted by HatKing (6023 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
@DarthOniXVIII said:

Does anyone actually know why the release date is 11-11-11? I'm just wondering if it has some other kind of significance instead of just sounding cool.

I guess at some point in development they felt like they had a good pace and decided that they needed a date to aim for. Not to mention the fact that it's only a month before Christmas so it'll make a great gift for those who want it.
How about the fact that it's on a Friday?  That's the really strange bit to me.  I know I've seen stupid release date puns like 10-09-08 or 06-06-06, but I can't remember any of these being a weird day to release something.  Was really so necessary to get the cool looking 11-11-11 that they were willing to put it out on a Friday?
#15 Posted by Jay_Ray (1109 posts) -

@Tonyyj said:

@MrKlorox: I know in Canada, some provinces require stores to remain closed on most holidays by law.

Wait, what, which provinces are those cause that seems crazy. Also Steam is never closed.

#16 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@HatKing: Friday, the day that masses of people end their work week and can pick it up on their way home is an odd day for some reason?
#17 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -
@Storms said:
@HatKing: Friday, the day that masses of people end their work week and can pick it up on their way home is an odd day for some reason?
A Friday seems like a good date to me. Also 11-11-11 is piss easy to remember. They don't need to release a ton of footage prior to release to remind people so less work for them.
#18 Posted by Liam_mk (290 posts) -

I bought COD as the rememberance day parade was walking past the store. The cashier gave me the dirtiest look.

#19 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -
@HatKing said:
@eroticfishcake said:
@DarthOniXVIII said:

Does anyone actually know why the release date is 11-11-11? I'm just wondering if it has some other kind of significance instead of just sounding cool.

I guess at some point in development they felt like they had a good pace and decided that they needed a date to aim for. Not to mention the fact that it's only a month before Christmas so it'll make a great gift for those who want it.
How about the fact that it's on a Friday?  That's the really strange bit to me.  I know I've seen stupid release date puns like 10-09-08 or 06-06-06, but I can't remember any of these being a weird day to release something.  Was really so necessary to get the cool looking 11-11-11 that they were willing to put it out on a Friday?
So I could play it over the weekend and do all my homework the week before.
#20 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -
@Jay_Ray: Almost all of them haha, especially Manitoba and Quebec from what I learned back in high school.. I live in British Columbia though and it's not very restrictive. I'm only concerned because every other year, I'd be playing the newest CoD on Steam that day. That's why I'm not sure if retailers will be open.. Best Buy, Futureshop may, but I did my trade-in at GS/EB and the local one here is TINY so I'm doubtful that I'll get my copy that day.
#21 Posted by Sumbog (491 posts) -

Steam don't care about no holidays, so I'm all good.

#22 Posted by HatKing (6023 posts) -
@Storms said:
@HatKing: Friday, the day that masses of people end their work week and can pick it up on their way home is an odd day for some reason?
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining or even saying it was a bad idea.  It just seems odd because all games tend to come out on Tuesdays, Nintendo's bigger games on Sundays being the exception.
#23 Posted by Jay_Ray (1109 posts) -

@Tonyyj: I live in Victoria, BC and outside Christmas basically all stores are open on holidays and even on Christmas there are a fair amount of stores open.

#24 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -

@Jay_Ray: You're giving me hope, I'm just praying that the local eb stays open. I'm sure the ones out in Vancouver definitely will though if what you say is true, so if I really get the itch I can drive out there.

#25 Posted by Jay_Ray (1109 posts) -

@Tonyyj: Unless if you live out in some farmville I would not worry about it.

#26 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -

@Jay_Ray: I wish. If I could be growing Super Cotton, I'd never game.

#27 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5441 posts) -
@Tonyyj
#28 Posted by roguehallow (209 posts) -

Oh, come on - 11.11.11. That's a pretty neat date. Also, no, that date doesn't mean squat to culturally insensitive/ignorant Americans, so there's no reason not to put a game out on it. By the way, Canada, thanks for The Kids in the Hall. You guys rock. Rowsdower!

#29 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -

@Vito_Raliffe: Oh my lord, that is where I want to be. You know what? I'm playing Farmville on November 11th, 2011.

#30 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -
@Tonyyj
Duder, the date could be worse, it could be September 11. 
 
(No disrespect meant)
#31 Edited by Unchained (1081 posts) -

This game is pretty popular and hugely anticipated. I'm quite certain there will be midnight launches at most EB Games / Gamestops here in Canada. Stores can skirt the provincial (seems only in Manitoba is it actually a law) no-work laws that way.

#32 Posted by sagesebas (2004 posts) -

I heard it might or (should be) delayed

#33 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

Don't worry, stores remain open on remembrance day in Canada.  There are a few cities in Canada (chiefly Ottawa) that have most stores closed until 12:30 pm, but they open up later in the day, so no worries, you will be slaying Dragons by early afternoon at the latest.

#34 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

Amazon release date delivery, baby! Er... I should really get this game pre-ordered...

#35 Posted by HoboZero (196 posts) -

Nova Scotia has a provincial law that all stores be closed for the entire day, with the exception of meat packers :| It's an old law I guess. Anyway, go hit the cenotaph, be nice to a vet, and play the game on the 12th.

#36 Posted by Bollard (5663 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
@supermike6 said:
Don't they have Remembrance Day in America too? Or is it called something different. Anyways, I didn't even know stores closed on Remembrance Day here, plus I don't care about Skyrim, so I'm not too worried.
It's called Veteran's Day here. It's why all the CODs come out at that time.
That's like pretty disrespectful in itself.
#37 Posted by SquigglyElf (40 posts) -

@Unchained said:

This game is pretty popular and hugely anticipated. I'm quite certain there will be midnight launches at most EB Games / Gamestops here in Canada. Stores can skirt the provincial (seems only in Manitoba is it actually a law) no-work laws that way.

I work at an EB in Manitoba, we're going to be open on Remembrance Day though, but I think we're just not allowed to be open before 1 in the afternoon my manager was saying.

#38 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

I have an exam on that day so I totally sympathies.

#39 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@Liam_mk said:

I bought COD as the rememberance day parade was walking past the store. The cashier gave me the dirtiest look.

ya, well the cashier probably had mental issues (brain retardation).

#40 Posted by Z3RO180 (230 posts) -

@Tonyyj: why dount you order it online that way it will be deliverd to you on the day of canadas holiday.

#41 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1325 posts) -

I pre-ordered the steam version, cause it's cheaper and cause I can get it instantly without having to waste gas/money on traveling to a store to pick up a disc :)

#42 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

@Tonyyj: Yo cuz RCSS (loblaws) are still open, I assume some walmarts are open too. Just avoid Best Buy or Gamestop and you can still get it on Nov. 11.

#43 Posted by Chop (1999 posts) -

I'm in Alberta and I've never heard of stores being closed on remembrance day. I mean around here it's treated like one of those holidays in name only type things. Family Day, mothers day, fathers day, etc

#44 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -

I'm 30 and have lived in Canada my entire life and don't know if the stores are open or closed here on Remembrance Day. It's my Mum's birthday so I'm always doing family stuff that day, so never noticed. I hope not because I was planning on grabbing Skyrim before the festivities began.

#45 Posted by Oni (2104 posts) -

Solution: get it on Steam. Don't have a good PC? Don't eat.

#46 Posted by eltrut (42 posts) -

@roguehallow said:

Rowsdower!

Oh God.

#47 Posted by Edwardryu (437 posts) -

@DarthOniXVIII: why not? three 11. it's cool to remember.

#48 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@HatKing said:

@eroticfishcake said:
@DarthOniXVIII said:

Does anyone actually know why the release date is 11-11-11? I'm just wondering if it has some other kind of significance instead of just sounding cool.

I guess at some point in development they felt like they had a good pace and decided that they needed a date to aim for. Not to mention the fact that it's only a month before Christmas so it'll make a great gift for those who want it.
How about the fact that it's on a Friday? That's the really strange bit to me. I know I've seen stupid release date puns like 10-09-08 or 06-06-06, but I can't remember any of these being a weird day to release something. Was really so necessary to get the cool looking 11-11-11 that they were willing to put it out on a Friday?

All there's the fact that the date 11-11-11 only happens once a century. Really easy to remember. Also, all games should come out on a friday.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.