Nvidia owners just get a driver update?

#1 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Not sure if this has been in beta for awhile or what. But I just installed new drivers and it's claiming a up to a 45% performance boost in Skyrim.

#2 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

yeah, new driver which was in beta for a while.

#3 Posted by BonOrbitz (2183 posts) -

I just saw that and downloaded it. It's out of beta apparently. Hopefully it'll let me run Batman Arkham city in DX11 without choking the hell outta the cutscenes.

#4 Posted by Tag (65 posts) -

@bonorbitz: The issue's with Batman:AC are game related and not driver related. No one can run it in DX11 mode without issues

#5 Edited by BonOrbitz (2183 posts) -

@Tag said:

@bonorbitz: The issue's with Batman:AC are game related and not driver related. No one can run it in DX11 mode without issues

When I got the game by ordering a Nvidia card, the start screen and opening cutscene had extremely low FPS (In the single digits perhaps?) when the graphic settings were set to DX11. If I ran the Arkham benchmark test it ran smoothly with DX11 turned on. It's just that I couldn't get past the damn opening movie. I went on to complete the game in DX9 (where everything ran smoothly). Still looked amazing, thankfully.

This morning I installed the latest Nvidia driver, set the graphics to DX11 high (high tessellation, etc) and fired up Arkham. The Start screen loaded like a breeze. I loaded my previously saved game and it ran perfectly. I noticed in the latest driver notes that it addresses something with Arkham's Phyx so maybe that was the culprit?

My next plan is to start a new game to see how the cutscenes will play out.

Edit. Sorry for derailing the thread. I'm looking forward to seeing how the driver will affect Skyrim. Since I installed the high rez texture dlc, I noticed a slight drop in FPS. Hopefully this driver will bring it back up to speed.

#6 Posted by BonOrbitz (2183 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@bonorbitz said:

I noticed in the latest driver notes that it addresses something with Arkham's Phyx so maybe that was the culprit?

They made "compatibility fixes" for Arkham's implementation of physx, which seems like a polite way of saying that Arkham's implementation of physx is busted and requires special treatment. Ironically, the beta version screwed compatibility with some other games (notably, for me, Tribes: Ascend) but the release version seems to have fixed that.

That's very surprising considering all the great things I've heard about Arkham Asylum's PC port. I wondered what happened on Rocksteady's end?

#7 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

@rebgav said:

@bonorbitz said:

I noticed in the latest driver notes that it addresses something with Arkham's Phyx so maybe that was the culprit?

They made "compatibility fixes" for Arkham's implementation of physx, which seems like a polite way of saying that Arkham's implementation of physx is busted and requires special treatment. Ironically, the beta version screwed compatibility with some other games (notably, for me, Tribes: Ascend) but the release version seems to have fixed that.

That's very surprising considering all the great things I've heard about Arkham Asylum's PC port. I wondered what happened on Rocksteady's end?

Direct X 11 is new, and with new tech mistakes happen more often. Witcher 2 got a nice speed bump with a driver update as well.

#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6236 posts) -

@mosdl: The Witcher 2 is DX9 only. Unless you were saying that devs still screw up older, more well know stuff, then carry on.

#9 Posted by AlisterCat (5532 posts) -

The last certified release was October. They've been releasing beta drivers monthly since then with updates, fixes and SLI profiles for all recent games. This is just the official release. Always worth having the most recent drivers.

#10 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@mosdl: The Witcher 2 is DX9 only. Unless you were saying that devs still screw up older, more well know stuff, then carry on.

Really? crap, could have sworn it was 11. I think I might be thinking of Dragon Age 2 which had really bad performance on DirectX 11 mode and nvidia had to release a beta driver to fix. Google search confirms that happened, which I remember running into.

#11 Posted by BonOrbitz (2183 posts) -

Tonight I fired up Skyrim to see if there are any noticeable effects from the latest nvidia driver update. I'm quite amazed. Before I installed it there was a noticeable drop in FPS since I downloaded the high rez texture pack. Unfortunately, I didn't run FRAPS so I can't give any specific numbers, but since the driver update it's been running the smoothest I've seen it since I got the game. It's buttery smooth.

#12 Posted by muktor (61 posts) -

I have nvidia but never got any updateS?

#13 Posted by fetchfox (1260 posts) -

@muktor: Go to their website and check for driver updates for your card. They have a link/program that checks your PCs card and then gives you a list of available drivers.

#14 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@mosdl said:

@bonorbitz said:

@rebgav said:

@bonorbitz said:

I noticed in the latest driver notes that it addresses something with Arkham's Phyx so maybe that was the culprit?

They made "compatibility fixes" for Arkham's implementation of physx, which seems like a polite way of saying that Arkham's implementation of physx is busted and requires special treatment. Ironically, the beta version screwed compatibility with some other games (notably, for me, Tribes: Ascend) but the release version seems to have fixed that.

That's very surprising considering all the great things I've heard about Arkham Asylum's PC port. I wondered what happened on Rocksteady's end?

Direct X 11 is new, and with new tech mistakes happen more often. Witcher 2 got a nice speed bump with a driver update as well.

DX 11 isn't new mate.  DX 11 launched with Windows 7.   Rocksteady also are an Nvidia TWIMTP partner and their last game had a perfectly well sorted PhysX implementation.   You shouldn't be making excuses for them because this is a pretty bad fuckup as fuckups go.  No offense intended.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.